Tweaking of Linux Live Scripts derivative used in Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Tweaking of Linux Live Scripts derivative used in Porteus

Post#1 by fanthom » 29 Dec 2010, 00:26

As you probably know my implementation of LLS is quite different than one found on http://www.linux-live.org
If you have any suggestion what could be changed or which feature could be added - feel free to post it here.

Performance benchmark of my implementation can be found here (distro was still named 'slax-remix' that time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQnw8SCA0Io
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Quax
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: FluxFlux (ARM + x86), Slax7

Re: Linux Live Scripts

Post#2 by Quax » 30 Dec 2010, 15:50

Hi fanthom,

as posted in another thread, it would be a nice feature having the variable $DATAFROM available in the running system.

Regards, Quax
Erfahrung bedeutet gar nichts - man kann Dinge auch 15 Jahre lang falsch machen...

Experience means nothing - one could have done things wrong for the last 15 years...

Mithrandil
Power user
Power user
Distribution: Gentoo, PixieLive

Post#3 by Mithrandil » 30 Dec 2010, 17:46

the reason why i need it is because with my "boot from ISO" patch, there will be 2 directories in /mnt/live/mnt,
  • one is the device where the iso is located (e.g. /mnt/live/mnt/sdb1)
  • and the other one is the directory where the iso is mounted (as loop device) (e.g. /mnt/live/mnt/isoloop)
so, if you want to make a script writing or reading on the boot device it's difficult to discriminate which one is the right dir

regards
PixieLive developer www.pixielive.org

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 30 Dec 2010, 21:52

this info is already included in /mnt/live/var/log/livedbg

some other useful info is also there :)

skyhog99
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by skyhog99 » 03 Jan 2011, 15:56

@fanthom

Is it not correct to say that the remix distro is not just "quite a bit different" but in fact it is not compatible at all with LLS?

I strongly urge that the next release implement compatibility with LLS (or some variant thereof). One of the strong points of the Tomas model is that you can not only install the LiveCD to a hard disk but (after customization), using LLS, you can turn it back into a LiveCD. I know that you have worked hard to explain how to do customizations using the original .LZM module files, however this is quite more complicated for the average person than installing it to disk, customizing it and then re-spinning a LiveCD from it. Further, the LLS scripts that are supported should be easy to read and well-documented (as far as possible). I would be happy to share my latest version of the LLS-enhanced scripts with you, although I suspect they are very close to what linus72 has accomplished.

In summary: To attract the widest audience, LLS compatibility is a must.

Best regards,
Skyhog99

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 03 Jan 2011, 18:27

@skyhog99
I have written new linuxrc for Porteus (mainly for performance reason) and compatibility with other distros is not my target unfortunately. I'll rename this topic to avoid confusion. I dont mind starting new topic about tweaking of official LLS - if one is interested please start it and i'll make it sticky.

BTW - i'm planning to write a doc in which my version of linuxrc will be described in more details. Hopefully someone find it useful. Please be patient.

skyhog99
White ninja
White ninja

Re: Tweaking of Linux Live Scripts derivative used in Unknow

Post#7 by skyhog99 » 03 Jan 2011, 21:49

@fanthom

I took a look at the Youtube demo. Very impressive.

I am using VirtualBox just like you and I tried to configure it exactly like you have it based on what I can see on your screen (as best as I can make out the system configuration because it's a bit small and written in another language) but it hangs every time time at the second step of adding valid entries to fstab. Can you share the details of your VirtualBox config? It boots fine on a regular computer but not nearly as fast as what you show on YouTube.

Also, I think you might be interested to know that I built a Slackware-current based distro using the standard LLS and it worked out to be about 240mb in size, similar to v9 of remix. I burned both of them to CD and ran a test on the same computer. The one I built using LLS boots in just under 1 minute. Remix takes 1 minute 24 seconds. There may be some differences besides LLS that are making remix run a bit slower but the LLS piece of the equation is a non-issue.

Best regards,
Skyhog99

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 04 Jan 2011, 04:39

@skyhog99
my vbox config:
Ram - 1024MB
1 CPU - Intel E8300
VT-x/AMD-V Enabled
IDE controller for booting of ISO images
SATA controller for VDI
VDI was divided into 6 partitions as described on the video
The rest should not be important.

To be more clear - is Porteus hanging or it's your build hanging?
Regarding booting speed on the real PC.
Your build can be faster indeed. It depends on many things like: number of drivers build into kernel, number of services enabled, number of modules, etc.
In the benchmark above i was trying to compare LLS part only and not a whole system (as it wouldn't make more sense).

skyhog99
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by skyhog99 » 04 Jan 2011, 16:48

@fanthom

It's remix that's hanging. I tried to adjust the settings as per your list and no joy. It still hangs when it gets to adding valid entries to fstab. This is only in Virtualbox, not on a real PC. On a real PC it runs fine. However, it's very odd that I've never been able to get it to boot in Virtualbox.

Skyhog99

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#10 by fanthom » 04 Jan 2011, 18:37

i'm using vbox for developing remixes since v0.1 version and never had any problem with it. Does your md5sum match? Did you try to boot ISO only with no VDI attached? try to disable all extra controllers like usb, network, sound, etc. (it should work with them anyway). In case of failure, please post a bug report in relevant forum category and i'll try to resolve it.

Cheers

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Re: Tweaking of Linux Live Scripts derivative used in Porteu

Post#11 by Tonio » 10 Jan 2011, 02:34

@folks,

In light of LLS and fanthom's own implementation, I read on Distrowatch that on Slackware some folks were trying to make a tool for making one's own slackware install into a live system. Don't know if this one that follows is related, but it would be good to know if anyone has used it to build a livecd from pristine Slackware/Slackware-current installation:

http://slackware-live.tuxfamily.org/

oithona
Ronin
Ronin

Post#12 by oithona » 10 Jan 2011, 10:13

I believe the Zenwalk LiveCD is the first to be released having been built with this system:

http://support.zenwalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28763

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by Falcony » 10 Jan 2011, 11:27

@guys,

Upper example and tools is good for static Live CD creation

Approuch created by Tomas M is quite different

It provide dytamic LiveCD -thats much cooler

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#14 by Tonio » 15 Jan 2011, 20:22

@falcony

What do you mean by static LiveCD creation?

Tomas, has sadly not updated his scripts :( and they are hard to get to work on non-Slackware distros :( , if he* only updated them?, I'm pleased with fanthom's effort (his own implementation)

skyhog99
White ninja
White ninja

Post#15 by skyhog99 » 20 Apr 2011, 18:27

Here's my attempt at revised LLS supporting kernel versions 2.6.38.x and newer. The aufs and squashfs must be compiled as a module and the module filename extension is .XZM. Works with Slackware 13.x. Enjoy!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mziyo2

Skyhog99