suggestion for new cheadcode

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
KnallKopf
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 64bit KDE4

suggestion for new cheadcode

Post#1 by KnallKopf » 25 Oct 2014, 19:55

When Porteus start in default there are open ports (cups) and avahi connected via MDNS to a multicast address outside my LAN.
In my opinion a got OS should never connect to the Internet or open ports at start.
We are not by Windos. :wall:

Other hand, it is practically when the Computer are ready conneted to the network and other people need cups or avahi.

The nonetwork cheatcode disable the network complett (but not avahi) and i am to lazy to reactivate the network after start.

For this reason here my suggestions:
a cheatcode called 'nonws' for 'no network service' instad of nonetwork
so you can disable services specific.
see the description:

nonws=service1;service2;..

... nonws = no network service
It disable some networkservices that are enable by default.
Services:
dhcp = dhcp
nm = NetworkManager
bt = bleutooth
avahi = avahi
cups = cups
all = similar to dhcp;nm;bt;avahi;cups
for example: nonws=bt;avahi;cups
Bleutooth avahi and cups will not start at booting, but dhcp and the NetworkManager.

Here a initrd for i486. The linuxrc with the changing code are inside.

Then i have build a simple script called nwservice <service> <on|off>. This can be enable or disable the services after booting.

At this draft i have ipv6 disregarded.
How can i prevent the loading of the ipv6 module. And how can i enable or disable ipv6 ?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: suggestion for new cheadcode

Post#2 by fanthom » 25 Oct 2014, 21:03

In my opinion a got OS should never connect to the Internet or open ports at start.
Other hand, it is practically when the Computer are ready conneted to the network and other people need cups or avahi.

exactly. our role is to make newbs life easy as advanced users will know how to change/disable annoyances.

a cheatcode called 'nonws' for 'no network service' instad of nonetwork
one reason against it:
such cheatcode wont work well when changes are saved. it may cause a lot of troubles for unexperienced user (that's why 'nonetwork' was removed from the wizard). reverting what chetcode has done requires manual action ie: chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.service_name and people do not like to read docs to find what they have to do to get their service back to working.

here is my proposition:
create /porteus/optional/service_name.xzm with chmodded /etc/rc.d/rc.name in it and then just 'load=service_name;service_name2'.
advantage of this approach is that nothing is left in changes.

How can i prevent the loading of the ipv6 module.
blacklist it in /etc/modprobe.d

And how can i enable or disable ipv6 ?
this is the question i dont know the answer
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

KnallKopf
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 64bit KDE4

Post#3 by KnallKopf » 26 Oct 2014, 17:23

.. people do not like to read docs to find what they have to do to get their service back to working.
when people do not read docs, how do people the nonetwork or nonws cheatcode ? (provided it was delete from wizard)

create /porteus/optional/service_name.xzm with chmodded /etc/rc.d/rc.name in it and then just 'load=service_name;service_name2'.
very unpraktikal on different combination of no network service in many bootentrys.

such cheatcode wont work well when changes are saved.
I had not considered.
But i can implemented the nonws in 001-core/etc/rc.d/rc.services and rc.M like this:

Code: Select all

checkvalue_in_nonws(){ egrep -o "nonws=[^ ]+" /proc/cmdline | egrep -oq "(=|;)$1(;|$)"; }
# Start Bluetooth:
checkvalue_in_nonws bt && [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.bluetooth ] && sh /etc/rc.d/rc.bluetooth start &
in this case the chmod -x is not required

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 26 Oct 2014, 20:52

starting a service is not a problem as shown above.
how do you make that service is never started? because i though you are more interested in preventing of starting cups, avahi, etc ...
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.