Package Manager.

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: 3.2rc5 Xfce

Package Manager.

Post#1 by ralcocer » 03 Apr 2011, 11:36

I have been using Slackware and Slax for quite a long time now I am using Porteus however a package manager will make the system perfect, I have tried gslapt but it only work with slackware packages , I have tried almost every Distro there is, however I tried Slitaz the other day and I was surprised at their package manager I wanted to install a webcam and the HP printer and they have it also the can handle every .rpm .deb .tgz and others , When I went to engineering school they told me not to try to re-invent the wheel, if you find that somebody did the work for you why not use it and modify it, I think the tazpkg is great, look at it is open source and it is a shell script.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Package Manager.

Post#2 by fanthom » 03 Apr 2011, 11:46

Moved from 'Installation methods (HD, usb sticks, card readers, etc...)' to 'Develompent' as 'Installation methods...' is reserved for tutorials about settling porteus on a various media type.

Thanks for suggestion, will keep it in my mind :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 03 Apr 2011, 23:47

I've had a look at the tazpkg script and it looks great. I started writing a GUI package manager which at the moment allows searching packages by category or by name. I stopped before getting into dependency resolution as this will require time of which i am poor at the moment. The Tazpkg system look to be console based which i like, but users prefer a GUI these days. I understand you statement about reinventing the wheel however if people didn't keep reinventing we would still have wooden spokes and not the rubber outer profile wheels with rims that keep spinning when you stop. I think i'll look more at the Tazpkg system and perhaps steal a few things, pimp my package manager style!
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: 3.2rc5 Xfce

Post#4 by ralcocer » 05 Apr 2011, 02:36

but everybody took ove where the other one finished they did not start from scratc.

Tazpkg is gui drives as well console. tazpkgbox is the gui