Porteus KF5.1.0 Preview

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Porteus KF5.1.0 Preview

Post#1 by wread » 07 Sep 2014, 16:59

This is aliens Bob KF5 in Porteus...

Enjoy!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Re: Porteus KF5.1.0 Preview

Post#2 by wread » 20 Sep 2014, 12:17

Hi all!
I must apologize, but it took me so long to reproduce kf5 in Porteus.....
A couple of days, after I had made it work, I tried it without success; I forgot the hacks I had to do to start the kf5 framework.

I even got a new pendrive to load it with kf5: no luck with it. I started with Porteus 3.0.1 and made 003-kf5 instead of 003-kde, but it didn't work. I will keep hacking it until it does it!

Then I went back to my Porteus aKDEmia -aKDEmia is based on Porteus 2.0 (Slackware 14)- and tried to remember how I had done it, step for step: I had already a folder in optional/KF5/ with alien' s stuff, just transformed to xzm. All my hacks went then to "modules". I added 6 modules and one folder Xcb with the whole xcb stuff, so qt5 would work. The 6 modules are 1)gst-base, 2)gstreamer, 3)libicu51, 4)pcre, 5)gcc and 6)kf5-env (a module I made with env. variables and some symlinks).

To start KF5 I choose Text Mode and cheatcode load=KF5/, log in as root in text mode, type xconf, then xinit and finally startkde. It comes up slowly but awesome. Many things could be trimmed to make it faster, I guess (wallet, akonadi, etc.)

I think most KDE applications must be recompiled in kf5. At least I tried dolphin and it is unstable, it crashes easily....

I will try once more to make it work in Porteus 3.0.1 and when it does works, I will upload all modules for experimenters, with directions how to use it.

Regards
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#3 by francois » 25 Sep 2014, 21:55

I am interested! :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#4 by wread » 29 Sep 2014, 15:15

@francois
Re-reading alien's Bob implementation of KF5, I found that kde4 is necessary to get the framework going, that you cannot switch kf5 for kde4, and that you must use Slackware current with kde 4.14; Porteus 3.0.1 follows Slackware 14.1, so I guess that is the reason why it won't work. i think I will have to make kind of a "Porteus current" version to get it up and running correctly.

Nevertheless, I have a running version of kf5 assisted by my aKDEmia Edition of Porteus! But aKDEmia is based on Porteus 2.0 (kernel, core and xorg, with a detailed, trimmed down version of kde 4.9.5 "a la fanthom").

This is not a recommended combination and so it suffers from sicknesses and headaches: the launcher shows only the Recent apps and the Leave's. It also crashes when you click a minimized application on the panel (it starts again!) and wont react to pushing a new usb-device automatically.

So I will try a "Porteus current a la alien's bob" as next step. I will report back :)

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#5 by beny » 29 Sep 2014, 15:34

hi wread you can use the slackware 14.1 i have kde5 and kde 4.14 on default slackware you have to change only the libxcb version if you want a complete window control

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#6 by wread » 29 Sep 2014, 16:51

Thanks for the tip, beny, I will do as you say!

Regards!

EDIT: @beny, I have now kde5 with complete window-control. I will upload all necessary modules, that all interested users can experiment with it.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#7 by wread » 05 Oct 2014, 00:41

@all
The framework for KF5 32-bits can be downloaded from here.

I just put the files in optional/KF5 . The only necessary change, is to add these lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.4 just before "exec /usr/bin/dm":

if [ -x /usr/bin/sddm ]; then
exec /usr/bin/sddm
fi

Make this change permanent, it won' t break anything if sddm is not loaded (it is in optional).

Now to start KF5, reboot in Text Mode with cheatcode load=KF5/ , login as root and type "startx": In a few seconds you will have a new desktop :Yahoo!:

Enjoy!