Porteus-v1_beta-i486 ready for testing

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Porteus-v1_beta-i486 ready for testing

Post#76 by fanthom » 06 Apr 2011, 07:46

@wread
there's really nothing special in my Vbox. i have exported my virtual machine settings to *.ova file. you can get it from here:
http://download1323.mediafire.com/4l64s ... /linux.ova
just double click on it. i hope you have similar hardware: double core processor. 2GB of mem.
The only tip which i can give is to enable VT-x/AMD-V if your processor supports it.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#77 by brokenman » 09 Apr 2011, 04:50

lxdm login manager can be forced by commenting out the default user. I also have the session line uncommented.

#autologin=guest
session=/usr/bin/startlxde

No matter which way i try though i can't get this shutdown to work in kdm. I've tried in rc.local and rc.M and rc.4 but running genkdmconf makes no difference for me. (testing in vbox)
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#78 by wread » 12 Apr 2011, 03:20

Hola brokenman!
I am working on the HPPrinting chapter and I found that there is no Kde Printer Setup any more. If you type "kcmshell --list", you can verify that. Maybe that is a Trinity issue, I don't know.

Then, printer setups are to be made over Start>System>Manage Printers. I did so and got "Error 404: Not Found" . To correct that I simply added "admin" to the call of Manage Printers; it was "http://localhost:631", now is "http://localhost:631/admin.

For that you have to open 002-core.xzm and go to /usr/share/applications/cups.desktop and add "admin" to the call and repack again. :D ( I must say that the kde envelopes for unpacking and repacking sometimes don't work for me, I use the konsole commands, they are more reliable)

Cheers!
(THE PORTEUS COMMUNITY NEVER SLEEPS!)

I keep trying to find out the shutdown problem of kdm; dont worry, we will find it!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#79 by Ahau » 12 Apr 2011, 15:26

I'm beginning to think that extpkg and rempkg might need a little bit of attention before v1.0 final. When I've extracted lots of modules, one after the other, the xdialog box sometimes hangs and doesn't close. I can close by clicking the "x" button, and the program continues. This morning I was using rempkg to strip down crashman's "tiny-desktop" module, down to just openbox, fbpanel, and some icons. The module only went from 19 to 15 MB, which is way too huge for just those packages. Several of the libraries that should have been removed were not. I'll do some sleuthing on this, verify those files were properly listed in the /var/log/packages/ entries, and test this some more to get you a more robust bug report.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#80 by brokenman » 13 Apr 2011, 02:44

For that you have to open 002-core.xzm and go to /usr/share/applications/cups.desktop and add "admin" to the call and repack again. :D ( I must say that the kde envelopes for unpacking and repacking sometimes don't work for me, I use the konsole commands, they are more reliable)
Thanks, will add this. The right click (service menu) for packing have been modified for next release, there was a problem with kdialog pipe.
I'm beginning to think that extpkg and rempkg might need a little bit of attention before v1.0 final.
Ok will give them a good test. Keep in mind that they will only be useful for slackware compatible packages that contain a /var/log/packages file that has a file list.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#81 by Ahau » 13 Apr 2011, 05:36

Yeah, I did some more poking around, and I think the module in question has a bunch of files that weren't part of a slack-style package. I think, though, that some of the symlinks to libraries (that were in packages that I removed) were still there, which makes me wonder if extpkg is properly copying symlinks that are created by an install script and not listed in /var/log/packages. Does extpkg look for install scripts, and run them? I'll look into this some more and report back.

Posted after 1 hour 17 minutes 33 seconds:
yeah, it doesn't copy the symlinks over. this explains some things...

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#82 by brokenman » 14 Apr 2011, 00:48

After checking, no it doesn't copy symlinks, and rempkg doesn't remove them. It looks through /var/log/packages to find files. I will have to double check later but it could also be the case that extpkg is following symlinks and copying the linked file instead of the symlink resulting in a larger package. This is easily fixed however the removal of symlinks not contained in /var/log/package file may be harder. Thanks.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#83 by fanthom » 14 Apr 2011, 03:53

"After checking, no it doesn't copy symlinks"
this is a weird think about slackware's 'pkgtools' as symlinks are removed during 'makepkg' stage and restored when you do 'installpkg'.
Info about them is kept in /var/log/scripts/* files. i used to delete them with my 'cleanup' script but can keep them for 'extpkg' purpose.
maybe extpkg could check /var/log/scripts/* and get required info about symlinks from there?

OTOH - activate script runs 'ldconfig' at each insertion now so broken/missing symlinks are not a problem anymore. still - more elegant way would be to have them included in the module.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#84 by brokenman » 14 Apr 2011, 05:42

fanthom
Ok i just did a test run and using /var/log/scripts will work nicely for removing/restoring symlinks. I will retain this file for next version packages.

Ahau
I have redone rempkg with 'ok' and 'done' buttons. You're right It is much easier this way. Will look at extpkg now so links are copied and buttons are easier. The copying/removal of links will not be effective until i build final release of 32bit with /var/log/script files intact.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6tnym9u0upo6c

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#85 by Ahau » 16 Apr 2011, 05:48

have not tested the new scripts yet, but have downloaded them and will try soon.

Another issue with ext/rempkg that I see is man pages. Since slax standard was to untar all man pages and zip them back through squashfs/lzma, the man page names are no longer .gz, and thus don't match the var/log/packages files.

And...this is hopefully a quirk... I tried to extract libX11, and it create a module, but nothing from /usr/lib was there. libX11 is listed in the package file, and it exists in porteus, but it didn't get picked up for some reason. I'll test more thoroughly with your new scripts.

Thanks!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#86 by brokenman » 16 Apr 2011, 06:44

Another issue with ext/rempkg that I see is man pages
You're right, i hadn't thought of that.

The reason the /usr/lib/X11 files aren't copying over is the grep switch. (grep -A900 FILE LIST:). This grabs the first 900 lines after FILE LIST:
The libX11 is a very large file with over 1200 lines. I think i better change the -A900 to -A5000. Thanks for testing.

For now i wouldn't use these two scripts (extpkg & rempkg) for anything to important as they appear to be flawed in many ways. The only new thing in the updated scripts is the 'Done' button. Before your the script you downloaded i suggest you run:

sed -i 's/A900/A5000/g'

Or open the file in kwrite and replace.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#87 by fanthom » 16 Apr 2011, 08:20

@brokenman
it would be clever to use
sed '/FILE LIST/,$ !d' /var/log/packages/* | grep -v FILE
as it has no limitation with number of lines

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#88 by Ahau » 16 Apr 2011, 18:42

thanks, brokenman! changing the grep switch should do for now. I'm extracting lib packages for superfly and don't want man pages for libs anyway (though I will want them removed when I pull unneeded packages from 001-base).

No worries--nothing I'm doing is very important ;)

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#89 by Hamza » 16 Apr 2011, 18:53

I have an issue with my graphics card : Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

When , I starting KDE Trinity , the X.Org crash , and I cannot see any window decoration and the mouse is freezed.After some seconds , I have a black screen.

I cannot save any logs - sorry.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#90 by Blaze » 17 Apr 2011, 06:16

Hamza, try Text mode with commands

Code: Select all

xconf
startx
Then copy your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to http://pastebin.com/ and to public your link in this topic.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16