Porteus Desktop Edition 3.0 rc2 bugs/feedback thread

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
dustbunnies
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: hop_around

Re: Porteus Desktop Edition 3.0 rc2 bugs/feedback thread

Post#76 by dustbunnies » 28 Feb 2014, 03:12

Although I don't mind the absence of pre-installed noscript, I would welcome its presence (pre-installed, but disabled) in an ALWAYS FRESH session.
Considering that noscript is one of THE most popular firefox addons, and that its inclusion would add less than 1Mb to the iso, AND that nowadays firefox automatically checks addon compatibility and updates/disables addons when appropriate... I think donald's suggestion/request is reasonable.

How many Porteus users are there? Is there a census, or at least an iso download count?
How many actively-involved Porteus users are there? I've seen about 5, wait... SIX or so during the past month.
How many users stick around (as donald has) long enough to accumulate 200+ forum posts?

In other words... i'm against lame dismissal of valid suggestions in general. sorry about that.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#77 by fanthom » 28 Feb 2014, 09:04

@dustbunnies
i never used noscript addon so i'm against 1MB extra weight in the ISO.
we could let the community decide about including this addon but considering that only 3% of registered users took a part in the poll in such important topic as the FUTURE of this project (link) - i dont really believe in polls anymore.
i'm looking at things this way now: one who does the job decides about it shape (because voting makes no sense).

my proposition: maintain a separate version of firefox 'with noscript addon' in the community section of the forum. sounds cool but one has to do the job.
maybe you could take this task?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Kriss
Samurai
Samurai

Post#78 by Kriss » 28 Feb 2014, 12:47

Off-Topic:
I agree that noscript (and a bunch of other plugins) is one of the most important extensions, but for me main problem is that they constantly being updated so using static package isn't the best thing.
However I also agree that it's pretty easy to create xzm archive with plugins, but people has different tastes so I usually create something that suits my tastes best.
But isn't it simplier to just copy firefox profile to "rootcopy" folder?
Suggestions/corrections/additions are always welcome.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Post#79 by jimwg » 28 Feb 2014, 14:02

Greetings!

Is this user mention of a possible merge-collaboration between Porteus and Refracta along the lines of Razor and LXDE actual? ( http://refracta.freeforums.org/community-f10.html )

Jim in NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#80 by brokenman » 01 Mar 2014, 01:48

@Donald
Regarding the firewall. I'll try to get it right this time. Feel free to poke around and find the problem if you get time.

@Freestyler
I remember this happening in a previous version too. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what is freezing it. Perhaps you can open the script ... add somewhere near the top: set -x and then run it from a terminal and see where it freezes?

@All
Please, please feel free to offer fixes as well as suggestions if you get time. It will be a great way to learn a bit about Porteus and will also take some weight off the devs. All maintainers are now stretched for time with real life taking a front seat and meaning less time for porteus. Other distros have many active and contributing members, and we have many members actively contributing too, but I would like to see more in the area of development. For example why doesn't someone take on the task of creating and maintaining a firefox extension module pack for porteus?

@jimwg
I've never looked at refracta so not sure about it. The future of porteus is up in the air but I am sure after the release of v3.0 we will have time to re-assess priorities, direction and the future of the project. For me, Fanthom is leading the direction and I believe in this way it is in good hands. He is very knowledgeable and has a head for this.

For the record I am also pretty dismayed by the 3% member base voting about the very future of the project. For those that did vote, thank you. We can never know what the majority think if only a minority vote. So far we know that the majority of the minority prefer slackware, and George Clooney is a closet slackware fanboy.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Post#81 by jimwg » 01 Mar 2014, 04:01

brokenman wrote: For the record I am also pretty dismayed by the 3% member base voting about the very future of the project. For those that did vote, thank you. We can never know what the majority think if only a minority vote.
Thanks for these heads-up.

I know how seemingly thanklessly long and hard it is to commit to a project like Porteus. This not a critique but just a heavy guess, but that 3% "hardcore users" might indicate that many or most non-returnee first-timers and newbie try-outs of Porteus may've been put off by the scripts and cheatsheet thingies and the time/date issues and relatively scant software offerings must've taken their toll too. It might be that Porteus going "mainstream" was a little premature for a non-techie inclined public and is why "turn-key" OSes like Ubuntu and even Mint are so popular. Maybe Porteus ought stay in "beta" or "gamma" till the layman-scaring script/command-line requirements or demands are shaved off and a much greater software variety is available. Puppy went through this same learning curve it seems and it looks like it took so long to get it right that even its leader has dropped out. Do stay in the game because we found Porteus has many superior points.

Keep up the good work!

Jim in NYC

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#82 by roadie » 01 Mar 2014, 18:20

I somehow doubt that the majority of Porteus users have fled in terror at the prospect of facing the CLI...I think rather, that in typical fashion, most are just too lazy to vote. Everyone wants an OS that will do everything for them, from sending their mail, to washing the dishes, to walking their lil fluffball doggy.

People are lazy, they want everything for nothing.

I see it this way.....fanthom, brokenman, and all the others involved in Porteus, have given us an amazingly fast, stable system...given, as in FREE....they work hard at keeping it up and improving it.

I feel, given that it has been gifted to me FREELY and without ANY obligations....I don't have the right to demand that it be done the way I want it to be done.....it's their "puppy", if you will....ultimately, fanthom's "puppy".

I had no idea that George Clooney was a closet Slack fanboy....amazing, simply amazing.....and Porteus gave me THAT info too....free.

roadie

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#83 by sean » 01 Mar 2014, 18:33

@roadie

Ditto

Sean

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#84 by Ed_P » 01 Mar 2014, 20:08

I didn't vote because I wasn't aware there was poll being taken!! I suspect most newbies are like myself and only visit the Newbie section of the forum. And if interested in 3.0 issues have a link going directly to the topic. (I do)

Having looked at the poll I don't feel that I am qualified to vote as I have little knowledge of the other distros. I suspect other newbies feel the same way. So while it is nice of you to ask for opinions the Porteus user base may not be qualified to give you what you're looking for.

Personally I love this system. I love it because it runs on my hardware, is easy to use, has great support people who have helped me learn more about Linux than I have ever learned before, is small, can run from it's ISO. And I would hate to see it die but understand that that is the fate of many distros. :(
Ed

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#85 by Ed_P » 01 Mar 2014, 20:20

jimwg wrote:Is this user mention of a possible merge-collaboration between Porteus and Refracta along the lines of Razor and LXDE actual? ( http://refracta.freeforums.org/community-f10.html )
What mention would that be jimwg?

http://refracta.freeforums.org/search.p ... mit=Search
Ed

dustbunnies
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: hop_around

Post#86 by dustbunnies » 01 Mar 2014, 23:31

my proposition: maintain a separate version of firefox 'with noscript addon' in the community section of the forum
That really does seem to be the best solution. I admire donald's enthusiasm and I also admire fanthom's attention to minimizing the iso size.
dismayed by the 3% member base voting about
The voting turnout may reflect only 0.3% of the total users. How few bother to even register a forum account? Although it seems reasonable to expect that sooner or later (probably sooner) every user would find a motivation/reason to post in the forum... FWIW, that's not what I've observed throughout the past several years in monitoring the forums of various distros. A year back, when we pondered the lack of SalineOS forum activity (in contrast to its continual 1000+ sourceforge downloads per month stats) I heard "guess everyone is just happy with it as is. It just works, so users feel no need to post questions, or suggestions, to the forum"... but I suspected that discrepancy reflected a lack of stickiness (user downloads, tries, immediately decides "this is not for me" and moves on). The same conversation, and my same inference, arose recently regarding the refracta distro. Similar, but probably even more extreme, is the apparent "lack of participation" among antix users. Thousands of downloads per month, yet only about a dozen active forum participants. Specific to antix, during web searches I've encountered many "in Spanish (Portuguese?)" links; seems those users congregate (and participate) elsewhere, not at the distro's official (documented) forum.
might indicate that many or most non-returnee first-timers and newbie try-outs of Porteus may've been put off by the scripts and cheatsheet thingies and the time/date issues and relatively scant software offerings
Same as with the pattern seen with other distros, yeah I'd chalk it up to downloads by primarily curious tirekickers. They're not necessarily intimidated by, or put off by, whatever Porteus does, or does not, contain... and if you bendoverbackwards to accommodate the requests/suggestions of the few users who do sound off in the forum, you wind up with??? I'd say vsido.org fits, as an example of where things wind up in that case. You wind up with a small community, a couple dozen passionate users (who, each, have seen one or several of their suggestions implemented)... but not necessarily a community of evangelists. Crunchbang stands as a polar opposite example: users get what they get, when they get it -- the thousands of next version suggestions/requests posted to the forums have near-zero impact on the course of the distro (or the frequency of next-version releases). Wow, it's a headscratcher to me that crunchbang is, apparently, "mainstream" and that its users are evangelistic.
mention of a possible merge-collaboration between Porteus and Refracta
What mention would that be jimwg?
Maybe jim managed read my initial post to this "bug/feedback" thread during the 5 minutes betweeen when I first posted, then decided to bite my tongue and edited, redacting most of it?

or maybe the prospect of mergers (er, mix-n-match) are on jim's mind, in general:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=160830

My first-draft is still available via google cache. Jim, what I had written was:
seems to me the Puppians would be further ahead by embracing refracta or antix
and that's based on the impression that those Puppy+Wheezy+Porteus Puppians are needlessly attempting to reinvent the Debian/refracta packaging+remastering wheel. As a distro, refracta is bit too "stable" (stale) for my taste, but its installer and remastering/snapshotting tools are great.
I suspect most newbies are like myself and only visit the Newbie section of the forum
Good point! ...and, if most new-to-Porteus users find an answer by searching the forum (in contrast with "large, noisy" communities where lazynoobs ask the same questions repeatedly, ad nauseum) that would help explain why so few chime in.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#87 by fanthom » 02 Mar 2014, 17:11

@freestyler
hey, I'm getting lag then freeze when using porteus system info (xpsinfo) on the porteus tab
does it freeze when you click on 'porteus' tab or any of the subtabs (packages, modules, rootcopy, etc..) in this category? if subtab then please let me know which one exactly.
thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#88 by roadie » 02 Mar 2014, 18:24

fanthom wrote:@freestyler
hey, I'm getting lag then freeze when using porteus system info (xpsinfo) on the porteus tab
does it freeze when you click on 'porteus' tab or any of the subtabs (packages, modules, rootcopy, etc..) in this category? if subtab then please let me know which one exactly.
thanks
I just tried it with rc1 and it does lag, then freeze after hitting the logs tab...probably the same in rc2. I'm running an Asus 1000 netbook, Atom 270 processor, 1 gig ram.

It ended up putting a 13744K file on the root Desktop, I'm guessing that the lag is from parsing the logs.
Should logrotate be set to purge the logs after a certain time period?

roadie

blablotin
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#89 by blablotin » 02 Mar 2014, 18:59

Hi, and thank for the 3.0 x86_64 version of porteus.

I have few issue because I had to renew the PC and cannot solve problem of new hardware.

First of all I have audio's issue (not meted with arch).
I have

Code: Select all

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
        Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Device 5455
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
But I had no sound since alsamixer and every software on porteus select Intel Haswell HDMI: so I choose on alsa, VLC, and Kmixer HDA Intel PCH Realtek ALC269VB witch enable to have sound only on VLC (but each time I have to choose audio device)

But with other software like Mplayer and other package using player I have no sound, so no notification neither welcome sound.

mplayer '/media/EMTEC/partition bombarde/Marche montagne.mp3' 
MPlayer SVN-r36573-4.8.2 (C) 2000-2014 MPlayer Team

Playing /media/EMTEC/partition bombarde/Marche montagne.mp3.
libavformat version 55.19.104 (external)
Audio only file format detected.
Load subtitles in /media/EMTEC/partition bombarde/
==========================================================================
Requested audio codec family [mpg123] (afm=mpg123) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
libavcodec version 55.39.101 (external)
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 320.1 kbit/11.34% (ratio: 40013->352800)
Selected audio codec: [ffmp3float] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG layer-3 audio)
==========================================================================
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1557:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p' failed (-2): No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory
[AO SDL] Samplerate: 44100Hz Channels: Stereo Format floatle
[AO SDL] Unsupported audio format: 0x1d.
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1557:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p' failed (-2): No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[AO SDL] Unable to open audio: No available audio device
DVB card number must be between 1 and 4
AO: [null] 44100Hz 2ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:  14.1 (14.0) of 77.0 (01:17.0)  0.4% 

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio
A:  14.1 (14.0) of 77.0 (01:17.0)  0.4% 

Exiting... (Quit)
To finish I am unable to use the new version of PPM:
First I update repository, then when I choose the package I want to install, USM resolve dependences and then stuck to start processing... but no network trafic from the system monitor although I am on my private network: How to unblock download for USM please?

Thank a lot :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#90 by brokenman » 02 Mar 2014, 19:35

But I had no sound since alsamixer and every software on porteus select Intel Haswell HDMI:
type this into a terminal and then retry your mplayer audio.

cat >> /etc/asound.conf << EOF
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.ctl.card 1
EOF
If it doesn't work substitute the number 1 for 0. This will change the order of your audio cards. I also have this trouble with haswell.

For the package manager please read this thread:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... ger#p22319
After updating you will be able to update the USM by running: usm -u usm

For the xdg-open bug in mate (mentioned somewhere in this bug thread that got off topic) you can symlink xdg-open to gvfs-open which should get you out of trouble for now.

mv /usr/bin/xdg-open /usr/bin/xdg-open.bak
ln -s /usr/bin/gvfs-open /usr/bin/xdg-open
After this it should work: xdg-open http://www.porteus.org
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.