Porteus Desktop Edition 3.0 rc1 bugs/feedback thread

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Porteus Desktop Edition 3.0 rc1 bugs/feedback thread

Post#46 by fanthom » 28 Dec 2013, 21:58

@usernew
This is the bug , copy on desktop a folder whit big number of files, ...when copy are end , ...try to delete ...and SEEE
DELETION IS FILE PER FILE 1 TO 1 FILE ....to the eternity ,..

can't recreate this bug. i have unpacked our 05-devel.xzm which has over 300k of files and they were deleted in under 2 seconds.
this was done without changes= cheatcode (aufs writable branch set on tmpfs) so maybe would be a bit slower on some real filesystem but looks like KDE4 is ok and problem lies elsewhere.

another little thing , CANT READ/WRITE , on ext4 filesystems. ... :twisted: :twisted:
been using Porteus on ext4 for few years already and never experienced any troubles. maybe it's just a hardware problem on your side?
please try on another PC

@wread
when I leave the machine unattended (say 10 minutes), the screen goes sleeping; when I try to wake it (only the cursor can be seen), the system crashes.... (the screen goes black); this was also the case in a former version, remember?
will try to recreate on my PC but please also try yourself in Always Fresh mode.

thanks guys
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Post#47 by jimwg » 28 Dec 2013, 22:23

@wread
when I leave the machine unattended (say 10 minutes), the screen goes sleeping; when I try to wake it (only the cursor can be seen), the system crashes.... (the screen goes black); this was also the case in a former version, remember?

I saw this happen and maybe it's a fluke but when I rap the space bar several times (or my root password) and wait 30 seconds or so the screen pops up. It also doesn't occur at all when screen saver is on (the one with the blank blue screen).

All on 32bit XFCE 4.10 on Protesus 3.0

Jim in NYC

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#48 by francois » 28 Dec 2013, 23:00

@Seq_Res
Someone successfully boot up v3.0 rc1 with bootloader grub ? I try several times but failed.
Booting stops at a line say something like "eth0..eth1.. not available"
No problem at all with grub legacy, here on my side. Sorry for this late answer. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Axel
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus xfce x86 & x86_64

Post#49 by Axel » 29 Dec 2013, 12:57

• Now File Roller/Archive Manager, works fine with .7z archives. But it can't open simple .zip files.

• The Firewall does not work, if it is not marked as executable. (The same behavior in Porteus 2.1)
    BTW, nor there is GUI in the firewall
  • Using 'Create Launcher...' on Desktop. To add an icon, this is seen as generic icon (only on Desktop).
  • .dat files on SeaMonkey an Firefox profiles, are treated as DAT container. When are just simple text files. :unknown:

Porteus 3.0 rc1 xfce: Image

Porteus 2.1 xfce: Image

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Post#50 by jimwg » 29 Dec 2013, 14:48

Seasons Greetings!

Re: This website

Is it possible to add a link to the .xzm modules archives in the Download menu of the Porteus head page and include the excellent Copy agent module in there too?

Thanks

Jim in NYC

usernew
White ninja
White ninja

Post#51 by usernew » 29 Dec 2013, 20:11

@ fanthom

you are a nice developer, but please read again

copy & paste files .... after try delete.

extract a xzm IS NOT A COPY & PASTE FILES.

you can recreate bug at frist attemp ...

PLEASE , go to your /usr directory , or /lib , or "kernel" , folder ...

copy to desktop , and when copy ends , try to delete , and enjoy the bug.

I SAY COPY & PASTE FILES ,...and you go only extract archived files ...is not the same, not bugged because the files you try delete not copied ,. .. only "extracted" , to the archived xzm.

I test on 3 different machines , ddr2 and ddr3 , but memory is not problem , ... i installed to hdd , but persist , i think kde 4.11 - 4.12 ARE BUGGED.

Same task on a kde 4.10.X branches are OK.

you can see the bug , ONLY ON A DESKTOP .... /~/Desktop/Folder-to-delete

when copy folders on other path like /downloads , NO BUG , ONLY IN DESKTOP AFTER COPY BIG FOLDER.

___________________-

I think around plasma bug...because only afect on a desktop folders.
Last edited by usernew on 29 Dec 2013, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#52 by sean » 29 Dec 2013, 20:16

RE: Porteus RazorQt 3.0 rc1 32 bit

I found the Porteus Installer would not provide the terminal window (normally you hit "enter" twice to complete the process) when installing from a CD to a USB stick. The files were all copied correctly but I had to manually activate the Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com in order for the thumb drive to boot.

usernew
White ninja
White ninja

Post#53 by usernew » 29 Dec 2013, 20:20

I try download again your rc1 , ... and video record on at least 2 different machines and upload to youtube.

you can believe , if you can see. np.

hey , here have a porteus desktop video .... KDE BUGGEEEEDDD , COPY & PASTE ...AFTER TRY DELETE ..AND ENJOY.

Its a kde problema , not a system problem , not initrd problem, not kernel problem , ... KDE 4.10.X WORKS PERFECTLY.

Please see video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrpeY-AK ... e=youtu.be

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#54 by fanthom » 29 Dec 2013, 22:08

@Axel
The Firewall does not work, if it is not marked as executable.
this is how sysvinit scripts works. not a bug at all.

.dat files on SeaMonkey an Firefox profiles, are treated as DAT container. When are just simple text files.
yes - this is a trade off i was talking about in 'Christmas wishes' thread. will remove this mimetype if more users start complaining.

@sean
thanks - will check this out

@usernew
ok - so this bug must be affecting 'desktop view' plasmoid only. will see what i can do about it for rc2.
thanks for reporting.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

usernew
White ninja
White ninja

Post#55 by usernew » 29 Dec 2013, 23:22

@phantom

i test , deleting .kde configs . no result , killin some process , like kio_file ,kio_desktop , no result..

is not only in plasma view ... in my distro have "folder view" , and effect the same bug , ... i compile personally 4.11.4 and same.

all 4.11 , and the new 4.12 series are affected. ( i test 4.11.0 to 4.11.4 and 4.12.0 all bugged )

4.10.X works fine.

I not understand how is possible no one see , i want google for patches, but nothing appear.

Is strange , because if you copy in other path , the delete works fine.

in the konsole remove files are incredible fast but , right click , "delete" , on a desktop path , are bugged.

i work around this at least 1 month , nothing to do :evil:

sorry for this , but i think need to advertise because i apreciate porteus developers team. :friends:

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#56 by sean » 30 Dec 2013, 17:31

RE-1: Porteus RazorQt 3.0 rc-1 32-bit

RE-2: settings-inclusions for "quick-launch" in the RazorQt-panel

How can I add or subtract from the "quick-launch" in the RazorQt-panel?

I see only panel.conf under /home/guest/.config/razor

Is there no GUI to effect changes to the panel "quick-launch"?!?

Edit: I'll answer some of my own question here. A right click on the panel will bring an offer to add panel widgets. One is a QuickLaunch, which I thought would be like LXDE's launchbar which you can keep adding to. Razor apparently has separate quicklaunches for each individual app added. However, arranging the various parts of the panel, spacing them, etc. is not much to my liking.

Sean
Last edited by sean on 31 Dec 2013, 20:48, edited 2 times in total.

Philip
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 4.0 LXDE 64-bit

Post#57 by Philip » 31 Dec 2013, 12:19

Porteus LXDE v3.0 rc1

In Porteus firewall manager:
There is no information available via information button.

With 'activate firewall when porteus starts' checked, it fails to activate during boot as permission is denied.
It might be an idea to have a firewall icon in the panel to indicate when activated.

The release announcement for rc1 mentions that the lcd brightness control has been re-enabled in laptop mode tools config.
I cannot find this control. Maybe it's omitted from the LXDE version. [SOLVED]

Libreoffice.xzm does not get beyond the splash screen.

06-abiword.xzm v 3 does not create .pdf's - although this is not isolated to Porteus.
Last edited by Philip on 04 Jan 2014, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#58 by sean » 31 Dec 2013, 20:36

RE: Porteus RazorQt 3.0 rc-1 32-bit

Made a text file and put it on the desktop, it only opens to Mozilla Firefox from the desktop. If I go through the file manager to the desktop folder and click on the file it opens with Leafpad. File association for plain text is set to Leafpad. This is a real pain, I like to keep active .txt files on the desktop, such as this message. Open it when I need to add something, etc., but when it opens in Firefox it is extremely irritating.

My panel is along the bottom, the icons are of all different sizes. I don't see any way to size them, Configure Panel dialog box seems useless. I resized the icons from 30px down to 15px, then back to 30px. Some icons made the trip, some are now tiny dots and never resized back to 30px. There seems no way to size the panel itself, and I have to wonder about the Rows Count setting? There seems to be no reasoning to what it does. Me bad, made 2 changes at the same time. Plugged obconf....xzm into /modules and rebooted. The panel icons are now all the same size. Hold on, but if I shrink them and bring them back to 30px they don't all resize properly just as before.

So far I have not found a way to size the font in the panel clock, it's pretty tiny in stock mode and faint. I'd like to make the font larger, color it, bold it and eventually have a transparent background to the panel. I could find no setting for any of this.

Hopefully Xcalc will be replaced with something a bit more pleasing to the eye, couldn't believe what I was seeing with Xcalc, vintage 1995?!

Removing the desktop analog clock in the upper right hand corner, was counter intuitive. Since right clicking always brings up a menu, it was difficult to notice the subtle addition in the menu "remove desktop widget". This is only offered when the cursor is on top of the widget.

Why are we not using PCManFM as the file manager, since PCMan ported it to Qt and we're probably looking at it in the merger anyway?

Except for the "obconf" module I plugged in, this was a stock test. Now I'll bring in a few of the other modules and give them a chance.

To bad there is no way to screencapture during reboot or shutdown, I get a screenfull of what looks like the same thing repeated over and over, something about Xerror Invalid window parameter or badwindow. I'll keep trying to get the exact report, but something doesn't like something.

Sean

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Post#59 by neko » 01 Jan 2014, 01:33

Porteus-LXDE-v3.0-rc1-i486.iso

There is a coding miss in /opt/porteus-scripts/deb2xzm.

[diff]
76c76
< mkdir /tmp/deb2xzm$$ && cp $y /tmp/deb2xzm$$ && cd /tmp/deb2xzm$$ && /usr/bin/ar x * data.tar.lzma && unxz data.tar.lzma && gzip data.tar && mv data.tar.gz $pkg.tgz && txz2xzm /tmp/deb2xzm$$/$pkg.tgz && mv /tmp/deb2xzm$$/$pkg.xzm $mod echo && echo -e "${c}Module created as $mod"$e || echo -e ''${r}$mod' creation failed!'$e
---
> mkdir /tmp/deb2xzm$$ && cp $y /tmp/deb2xzm$$ && cd /tmp/deb2xzm$$ && /usr/bin/ar x * data.tar.lzma && unxz data.tar.lzma && gzip data.tar && mv data.tar.gz $pkg.tgz && txz2xzm /tmp/deb2xzm$$/$pkg.tgz && mv /tmp/deb2xzm$$/$pkg.xzm $mod && echo && echo -e "${c}Module created as $mod"$e || echo -e ''${r}$mod' creation failed!'$e

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Post#60 by neko » 01 Jan 2014, 02:28

Porteus-LXDE-v3.0-rc1-i486.iso

/opt/porteus-scripts/dir2xzm exit value is changed (error then exit value 0).
But /opt/porteus-scripts/txz2xzm(tgz2xzm) and /opt/porteus-scripts/gtk-soundcard-select use the old interface.

[dir2xzm diff v2.1 v3.0-rc1]
37c45
< if [ $? != 0 ]; then echo "error building compressed image"; exit 1; fi
---
> if [ $? != 0 ]; then echo "Error building compressed image"; exit; fi

[txz2xzm(tgz2xzm) line 58]
dir2xzm $TMPDIR $XZM >/dev/null
if [ $? != 0 ]; then echo "error building compressed image"; exit; fi

[gtk-soundcard-select line 486]
dir2xzm $SNDSET/fakeroot/ $mods/soundcard_config.xzm
if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]; then