Porteus Desktop Edition 3.0 rc1 bugs/feedback thread

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
bour59
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: porteus v5.0-xfce K5.19.7

Re: Porteus Desktop Edition 3.0 rc1 bugs/feedback thread

Post#106 by bour59 » 13 Jan 2014, 19:28

@fanthom
I had vga=771 ... comment this one
So the msg disappeared.
but how can I reintroduce vesa cause I have a module that choose the size
of my own editor to the best fit 25, 32 or 48 lines.
porteus 2.1, slackware 140 and 141 can't choose since this modif in lilo.conf
rebuild kernel for v3 with vesa ? or another way ?
Thanks !

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#107 by fanthom » 13 Jan 2014, 21:38

@bour59
please try 'video=800x600' cheatcode and remove 'nomodeset' if you have it. if wont work then please show me output of 'lspci -knn' command.
thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

ViktorNova
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus 3.0rc1 64-bit

Readline error

Post#108 by ViktorNova » 14 Jan 2014, 08:03

I was getting some errors compiling against libreadline. Did some googling and it appears this has to do with readline being compiled without ncurses..or something like that?

Anyhow, I did

$ ld /usr/lib64/libreadline.so

and got this

Code: Select all

ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address
/usr/lib64/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tputs'
/usr/lib64/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgoto'
/usr/lib64/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
/usr/lib64/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `UP'
/usr/lib64/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetent'
/usr/lib64/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/usr/lib64/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `PC'
/usr/lib64/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/usr/lib64/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `BC'
..so I'm thinking readline may be broken. For the record, I tried installing Slackware 14.1's version and got the same result
Last edited by ViktorNova on 14 Jan 2014, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

bour59
Samurai
Samurai

Post#109 by bour59 » 14 Jan 2014, 10:47

@fanthom
lilo.conf without vga= and without nomodeset but whith video=800X600 on Razorv3 is fine for me
many thanks
ps:
lspci -knn says Kernel driver in use is nouveau (on Nvidia)
and radeon (on radeon Xpress) for the other computer

bour59
Samurai
Samurai

Post#110 by bour59 » 15 Jan 2014, 22:30

Razor with text mode video= 800x600 booted thru lilo
The size of the taskbar may grow about 4 lines when "startx" in the same terminal more than 1 time.
logout of terminal then startx set the taskbar as normal.
same issue with other terminals .

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#111 by francois » 16 Jan 2014, 01:25

In xfce, I just installed the 32bit version on my msi 340x desktop, I am in dual diplay. In the standalone display when I try to install the wallpaper, only one fourth of the image appears, the rest of the display is grey. On the laptop, there is no such problem with the display of the wallpaper.

Thanks.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Porteus Loads .dat From Another Drive w/o Asking

Post#112 by jimwg » 16 Jan 2014, 13:02

Greetings!

I don't know whether this is a bug case but I have a HD storing several .dat files. When it's attached and I boot up Porteus I seem to load up from the other drive's .dat file instead and was never asked to or any notice that the onboard .dat file wasn.t being accessed. I did this before unwittingly and unintentionally altered my own backup .dat file. If Porteus alerted you where the .dat was that was being accessed it's be good.

So far 3.0 is now my standard Porteus over 2.1, my only lament I can't use Porteus Package Manger to download new apps with and still have to do KDE to view Stellarium. Date-stamp issue seems licked. On my panel bar CopyAgent's menu is ghosted-embossed unlike all the rest, making it difficult to read, no matter what appearance style I use.

I was surprised to see that my panel bar does different desktops via the The Poor Man's Desktop/Workspace Solution wspm script (unlike 2.1) and that I can even configure one to lock to the basic desktop in slideshow mode as well! Good Job! I'm requesting the XFCE.org site to see whether they can make the panel desktops itself do individually timed slide show mode like Wallch does, and beyond, show preview thumbnails in the panel desktop boxes.

Jim in NYC
Porteus 3.0. rc1 32bit XFCE 4.10

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#113 by brokenman » 16 Jan 2014, 20:39

@Bour59
Thanks. This is already list in the 'known bugs' in the initial post.

@jimwg
Do you have multiple save.dat files stored together in one folder just as storage? If you are not already doing so, I suggest using the from=UUID cheatcode and giving a more precise path to the save.dat file that you want to use. Porteus will use the first .dat file it finds in the heirarchy closest to the path you give.

Unfortunately we don't open the package manager up to rc releases. It gives us time to concentrate on OS only bugs, and prepare the repo. You may install slackware packages for now.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

ViktorNova
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus 3.0rc1 64-bit

changes=/path/ is not working

Post#114 by ViktorNova » 18 Jan 2014, 04:02

3.0rc1 seems to be ignoring my changes=/porteus/ cheatcode. I am dual booting between Porteus 2.1 and 3.0rc1, and by default it was loading the changes from Porteus 2.1 on boot. Here's my layout:
sda1 Porteus 2.1 (changes=/porteus/)
sda4 Porteus 3.0 (changes=/porteus/)

I tried adding a cheatcode so it read "changes=/dev/sda4 changes=/porteus/", but that didn't work and it just booted into always fresh mode.

Managed to get it to get it working by removing changes=/porteus/, so now the only changes code is "changes=/dev/sda4", which works, but saves the changes in /changes, instead of the normal /porteus/changes

Not a show stopper at all but I figured it was worth reporting since it's not the expected behavior and I had to try a few times (and lot a little work) to get it ;) I have not tested to see whether it behaves the same way on a non-dual booted machine

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#115 by fanthom » 18 Jan 2014, 09:16

@ViktorNova
I was getting some errors compiling against libreadline.
yes - seems like it's internal slackware bug. was trying to recompile readline but failed so left as is.

I am dual booting between Porteus 2.1 and 3.0rc1, and by default it was loading the changes from Porteus 2.1 on boot.
'changes=' chetcode lets you specify from which partition/folder you want to load changes. please check /boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt and search for UUID: and LABEL: description.
same applies to jimwg.

EDIT:\\
to reduce number of bug reports related to missing or incorrectly used 'from=' or 'changes=UUID:' cheatcodes (case when user has two porteus installations) i have pushed two commits to linuxrc:

Code: Select all

- linuxrc: check removable media in first place when searching for .sgn/extramod/rootcopy (more often porteus stuff is placed on removable media than on a hard drive)
- linuxrc: check booting media in first place when searching for changes
second one comes especially handy as user can have porteus-2.1 on /dev/sda1 and porteus-3.0 on /dev/sdb2, never update default 'changes=/porteus' cheatcode and changes wont be mixed up anymore between these two installations (previously first match was used).
of course if user give a direct path (using /dev/sdXY or UUID or LABEL:) to .sgn/changes/extramod/rootcopy then it takes priority.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#116 by tome » 19 Jan 2014, 20:35

porteus-2.1 on /dev/sda1 and porteus-3.0 on /dev/sdb2
if there is sda2 instead of sdb2 changes wont be mixed up also

save session to module doesn't save /var folder (but saves for dat container) I think it should save for both similar to skipping /tmp for both.
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Re: Porteus Kiosk Edition 3.0 rc1 bugs/feedback thread

Post#117 by jimwg » 27 Jan 2014, 12:53

Greetings!

Having problems setting the firewall via Porteus Settings Center. Firewall On status won't stay on, whether set to normal or toggle. When you hit "OK" it turns it off when you left and return to the panel.

If you boot-up in guest, if you log-out and are in the blue login screen and you want to log back in, the pop-up window that shows all your previous sessions to select won't let you create a new session. You just can't input anything in the box where you'd name a new session.

Is it possible to transplant and run a 2.1 .dat file in a 3.0 flash as a "dual" boot-up option and would it be able to access your 3.0. "Document" work files? Can you also create a "Document" folder only accessible to one version?

Is a .dat a container for the entire Changers folder and if not, what is left out? Is there a script that can periodically 7z archive a .dat file and store that crunched copy in another HD?

Jim in NYC
Porteus 3.0 rc1 32bit XFCE 4.10

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#118 by fanthom » 27 Jan 2014, 14:33

save session to module is deprecated (as per aufs whiteout files not being handled properly) and you should use 'changes-ro' cheat to freeze (or unfreeze) your changes at certain stage.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#119 by Ahau » 28 Jan 2014, 15:39

@jimwg, I can reproduce your error in xfce, once you ask it to prompt you for a session on login, then it will do so but doesn't let you set the name. This looks to me like an upstream error or perhaps xfce4-session is expecting something to be present on the system which isn't. I'll look into it and see if I can track down the cause. Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

sams
Legendary
Legendary

Post#120 by sams » 04 Feb 2014, 05:37

Here's my first impressions, kde4 on 64 bit, 3.0rc1

Google earth (from wreads module) works on x64 with intel video, but not with the nvidia driver (it segfaults). I can post better info later (sorry). I haven't tried to debug, I will look for duplicate libraries if I get this before help arrives.

in /etc/group, guest is no longer in plugdev, is this a change?

There is no more konsoleprofiles widget. I dunno if this is gone from latest kde4, but this was a useful widget.

Top level permissions on 001-core.xzm are go+w in /mnt/live/memory/images (probably doesn't matter but looks funny)

That's all I can think of now. Thanks for another fine release.