New Machines without CD Rom

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

New Machines without CD Rom

Post#1 by wread » 18 Oct 2013, 12:04

A few students bring new laptops without CD rom; I tell them to make their pendrive in a friend's machine.

I think Porteus should develop an installation procedure for these machines (and newer with uefi), something like:

1) inserting a new usb (factory formatted),
2)downloading iso2usb, detecting eventual uefi,
3)rebooting iso, shrinking fat32 parition of usb and formatting partition in posix format (ext4),
4)installing Porteus in Partition 2,
5)deleting contents of Partition 1 and eventually installing UEFI.

I guess Jay is working in something like that, I know my friends :D

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: New Machines without CD Rom

Post#2 by brokenman » 18 Oct 2013, 18:31

Hey Wread,

I am indeed working on a new installer that supports UEFI but it may be incomplete for some time due to the different ways some companies implement the UEFI on their hardware. A one click GUI for install to USB would be a nice thing and has been requested before. Still not too sure about it since it isn't really so difficult to install ... but perhaps people are becoming more reliant on nobrainer GUI's.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.