Using Other Kernels

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Using Other Kernels

Post#1 by wread » 06 Oct 2013, 14:01

Hi guys!
Take a lOOk at that:
Noise: A Clang Extension for User-Defined Optimization Strategies
Ralf Karrenberg - Saarland University
Rebuild of all Debian packages using Clang instead of gcc
Sylvestre Ledru - Debian / IRILL

Besides the GNU/Linux kernel, Debian is now able to run with two others kernels (KFreeBSD & HURD). However, in terms of compilation, Debian is still coupled to gcc. This lightning talk will present the results of the rebuild of the whole Debian archive with various clang versions. A necessary step to make Debian compiler agnostic.
View http://llvm.org/devmtg/2013-04/#talk7
:shock:

Maybe we can make Porteus compiler agnostic, too!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Using Other Kernels

Post#2 by fanthom » 07 Oct 2013, 16:55

first of all: this decision is rather to be taken by upstream (individual application maintainers) as we rather wont be able to hack the source code to be 'compiler agnostic'.
gentoo folks were trying to build world with LLVM some time ago and got mixed results. please check the last post for list of apps which wont compile:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-79 ... art-0.html

secondly: Porteus is based on Slackware so if Pat decide to compile his packages with LLVM then we will follow up. we could use LLVM for packages recompiled for Porteus but i would have to see some LLVM vs GCC benchmarks first.

in short - very little depends on us in that matter.

btw: i dont like that LLVM is sponsored by Apple which may cut the support at any time (wide Sun Microsystem->Oracle and bunch of open source projects).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#3 by Hamza » 07 Oct 2013, 19:15

+1 for Fanthom.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#4 by wread » 07 Oct 2013, 19:46

Anyway, I am compiling the whole llvm-suite, including glibc++ all in version 3.3 for testing. I will post them this week.

Regards
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!