Feedback and Bug Reports for Porteus v2.1 RC2

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Feedback and Bug Reports for Porteus v2.1 RC2

Post#91 by Ahau » 22 Jul 2013, 20:32

Hi all -- was out on vacation but back now, hoping to close everything out for final :)

@TomasXu:
I can confirm the parcellite bug, and it was reported to the developers also; they issued a new release five days ago, and I've upgraded to it, copying files in pcmanfm seems to be working now. Thank you for the bug report!!

@Rava:

I can also confirm your bug with changing partition labels through gparted. There is a newer version of mtools available, however it has not been incorporated into slackware's "floppy" package. In my experience, when Pat sticks with older versions of utilities like this, he has a good reason to do so, but I've not found out why for this package yet. I'm reluctant to upgrade it between an RC2 and final because there's a good chance it will cause other bugs to more critical functions. That said, the workaround is to build the newer mtools package: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mtools/mtools-4.0.18.tar.gz

I downloaded it and (with the devel module active) extracted it and ran:

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
After that, the labeling function worked through gparted. I would only do this as a temporary fix, without saving changes to avoid permanently overwriting the slackware tools. The other (and probably easier) option would be to use the existing 'mlabel' utility from the command line with the syntax as described in 'man mlabel'.

I realize this is a "punt" on my part, so I hope you understand my reasoning.

@donald:

I will take a look at the issue you mentioned in thunar this afternoon, as well as the firewall issue in PSC. I'm not sure which theme you're looking to have, is it one that used to be set as the default, one that was available in the standard iso and is no longer there, etc? I did strip out a number of themes but if we can get the right one, I can prepare it as a separate package for you.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

n2prtsusr
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 lxde 130809

Post#92 by n2prtsusr » 22 Jul 2013, 21:18

just a couple days ago used pburn again
had to get ffmpeg to convert from mp3
notice when right clicking bar on the bottom did not show
disk usage, i thought burn it anyway
window came up 3,2,1 ,showed conversion from mp3 happening
BAM!
a coaster
maybe I did something wrong

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#93 by fanthom » 22 Jul 2013, 21:40

@n2prtsusr
pburn in rc2 requires fairly new ffmpeg (1.2+) so please make sure you have this package up to date (i have pushed ffmpeg-1.2-x86_64-3sl to 64bit repo 2 weeks ago).
with ffmpeg-1.2 i was able to burn few audio CDs successfully so seems to be ok.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#94 by ncmprhnsbl » 22 Jul 2013, 23:52

lxde rc2
an issue with openboxmenu, when using default humanityLXDE icons , some missing icons and lots of these in .xsession-errors :

(openbox-menu:3204): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_icon_info_get_filename: assertion `icon_info != NULL' failed

(openbox-menu:3204): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_icon_info_free: assertion `icon_info != NULL' failed
other iconsets, oxygen for example, don't have this problem,
a naming convention issue maybe? seeing as the missing icons are present in lxpanel menu...
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

n2prtsusr
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 lxde 130809

Post#95 by n2prtsusr » 23 Jul 2013, 02:01

@fanthom

in regards to pburn, no burn
thanks for pointing me in the right direction
found ffmpeg 1.2 in alien repo i'm using 32bit
as data disc usage shows on the bottom
but when I change to audio usage doesn't show
tried anyway, another coaster
thanks for the help

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#96 by Rava » 23 Jul 2013, 02:42

Ahau wrote:I can also confirm your bug with changing partition labels through gparted. There is a newer version of mtools available, however it has not been incorporated into slackware's "floppy" package. In my experience, when Pat sticks with older versions of utilities like this, he has a good reason to do so, but I've not found out why for this package yet.
Can he be asked why he not upgraded that package?

Or can we at least have a script that facilitates the renaming?
When I recall right, you have to at least put something like this into /etc/mtools.conf :

drive c: file="/dev/sdb1"
mtools_skip_check=1

Another issue... when you have a multi volume audio cd set (say, a audio book) there seems to be no way to tell asunder that the single files of cd2, cd3 ... should have different names...
Also, when I have "eject cd after rip" activated in its preferences, no such thing is happening... :(
Cheers!
Yours Rava

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#97 by donald » 23 Jul 2013, 10:22

@ahau

The Clearlooks-Theme is available in XFCE-2.0-final,
(it's not the default theme)
it's not available anymore in 2.1rc2 ...
(combined with Daloa it looks very nice (imho))
Don't spend your Time on this now, if it will be back again in 2.1--final.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#98 by donald » 23 Jul 2013, 14:48

@Rava
asunder: the CD doesn't eject,the same as in Pburn,but renaming Tracks is
easy.Select One in the list and then leftclick on the line again and rename.

Maybe I did not understand exactly what you mean.
(two germans speaking english lol)

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#99 by Rava » 24 Jul 2013, 05:15

System: Porteus 2.1rc2, x86-64, with nVidia graphics driver (304.88) and always fresh mode, XFCe.

According to dmesg, my eth0 is a RTL8168b/8111b

root@porteus:/mnt/live/memory/images# dmesg |grep -i eth0
[   34.660767] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: RTL8168b/8111b at 0xffffc9000063c000, 00:1a:92:31:92:08, XID 18000000 IRQ 44
[   34.660773] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 4080 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]
[   39.184431] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link down
[  163.280779] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
As you can see, when starting 2.1 porteus, /etc/rc.d/FireWall is not being started... for whatever reason. After I start it manually, you see the diffecence in "status" it gives back.

root@porteus:/mnt/live/memory/images# /etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall status
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

root@porteus:/mnt/live/memory/images# /etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall start
WARNING: The state match is obsolete. Use conntrack instead.
root@porteus:/mnt/live/memory/images# /etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall status
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere            
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:domain
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:domain
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ftp-data
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ftp
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ssh
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:smtp
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:http
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:pop3
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:imap
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:https
    0     0 LOG_DROP   all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
    0     0 LOG_DROP   all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:domain
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:domain

Chain LOG_DROP (2 references)
    0     0 DROP       all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            
Why is that still the case in 2.1rc2? Could it be because eth0 was not connected at boot time? ... But the firewall should be initiallized no matter what, right?

root@porteus:/mnt/live/memory/images# ls -oa --time-style=long-iso $(find . -name rc.FireWall)
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root 2645 2010-12-20 07:18 ./001-core.xzm/etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall
root@porteus:/mnt/live/memory/images# l /etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root 2645 2010-12-20 07:18 /etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall
root@porteus:/mnt/live/memory/images# md5sum /etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall ./001-core.xzm/etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall
c7bfe11b7a3e50f3874708fc7de40b0e  /etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall
c7bfe11b7a3e50f3874708fc7de40b0e  ./001-core.xzm/etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall

@donald
asunder: the CD doesn't eject,the same as in Pburn

So, it's the same issue? The same reason it fails? Then it could be fixed by the same solution... or not?
The command "eject" does what it should do, just FYI...

but renaming Tracks is
easy.Select One in the list and then leftclick on the line again and rename.

Maybe I did not understand exactly what you mean.
(two germans speaking english lol)

.. lol indeed... Anyhow, I want it to change the track numbers it sets at the beginning of each file name, like W-OS "EAC" can do it.
When I have, say, 3 CDs of a audio book, it calls the first ones 01 *whatever* to 18 *whatever, and should call the 2nd part of files from CD2 NOT 01 *whatever* to 10 *whatever*, but instead 19 *whatever* to 28 *whatever*, and the files from CD3 then starting with 29 *whatever* ... and so on.
"EAC" had an edit field where I can put in a track offset, in the above examples: 19 for CD2, and 29 for CD3... (or maybe it was: 18 for CD1 and 28 for CD2... since it is 0 by default)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#100 by fanthom » 24 Jul 2013, 05:56

@Rava
a) added a function to rc scripts for sniffing exec bit on rc.Firewall so in 2.1 final firewall will be started if this file is executable (set to not executable by default).
b) will double check 'eject' function in pburn/asunder

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#101 by donald » 24 Jul 2013, 14:43

Porteus-XFCE-v2.1-rc2-i486 (32)

Feedback

Evince (I do not like it particularly)
Scenario:

If continuous view is disabled you can not scroll anymore from Page to Page if you
choose an option other than "best fit",which make no sense on my widescreen monitor
(the Page is too small (unreadable) now).So i have to choose "fit Page width" or
125/150% or whatever,and If I do so I can not scroll anymore from Page1 to 2,3,4....

I disabled continuous view because I have pdf-files which are containing Pages in
different width.If continuous view is enabled the screen is adjusted according to
the widest Page and so I have to manually adjust every smaller one.

@Rava
Now I know what you were looking for in asunder
so what can I say?
I know EAC, it's a very specialized Tool for Audio-extraction and asunder is just
an "easy going one" which lacks some Features :(

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#102 by Ahau » 24 Jul 2013, 16:01

@ncmprhnsbl - regarding icons through openbox-menu, I thought at first it was the file location, since the icons in hicolor were all working; after a little more testing, though, I went through the source code for openbox-menu and there's a note stating that imlib2 doesn't work properly with svg icons. Since oxygen is a raster iconset, those icons work. I implemented a workaround: I converted all of the .svg icons that go into the menu into .png's and left them alongside the svg counterparts. Kind of messy, but it appears to do the job. This might lead to some missing icons in other applications that are added on, but more likely they'll default to any .png icon found in the package/module for the application, and most include one so we should be OK.

@donald - poked around a bit and found that the clearlooks theme was included as a part of gtk-engines-2.20. This is in the PPM repo (for 64-bit at least, I didn't check 32), so try searching and adding that module. If you can't find one, I'll prep my package from 2.0 and post it.

regarding evince, have you tried epdfview, and does it work properly with these files? I added evince and dropped epdfview because evince is gtk3 based, doesn't require any additional dependencies, and seems to have a larger developer base behind it. Users are free to add different viewers of course, and based on user feedback we could change course for 2.2.

regarding the 'guest' user being able to mount/unmount partitions that are mounted at startup or by root: this appears to be caused by the combination of udisks2, polkit, and 'guest' being a member of the 'plugdev' group. when using udisks2, polkit authorizes the members of plugdev to take pretty much any mount/unmount action available through udisks. On my end, this appear to be working properly when I remove guest from the plugdev group, but given the fact that we don't really have time to test this and it might break other things, I plan to leave it as-is (this appears to be the default behaviour in Slackware, perhaps someone could test it? I don't have a Slackware box with a hard drive). To test my fix, su to root and run:

gpasswd -d guest plugdev
that will remove guest from the plugdev group. Now you should get a popup prompting for root password before udisks will allow you to unmount disks that were not mounted by guest. If this works, I'll see about a fix for 2.2 so we can get thorough testing on it.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#103 by donald » 24 Jul 2013, 17:18

@Ahau
I can test your fix only with XFCE-v2.1-rc2-i486.(32)
no other slackware, or based on slackware distro will boot on my box
(e.g slax/VectorLinux/Zenwalk) they all freeze at "fd0 is a post 1991"
What could be related to the SiS735 chipset on my MoBo

epdf was good enough for me, and didn't have the scrolling issue.

Thank you for the offer to provide a ClearLooks module.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#104 by Rava » 24 Jul 2013, 17:38

@donald
About Evince

I just tried it out: when clicking F11 for full screen, I can set the zoom to whatever I want, like 175% and still can scroll with the mouse up and down through the pages. (I have the preview pictures of the pages on my left, but that doesn't bother me with a 16:9 screen at 1440x900 ...)

I don't know about continuous view... why did you change the settings on that?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#105 by donald » 24 Jul 2013, 18:21

@Rava
Fullscreen or "Presentation-mode" is no option
if you want to have more than one open window
in some pdf-files the first (or whichever)
Page is a big one in size (double DinA4) followed by a small one (single DinA4)
If I choose the continuous-mode the zoomlevel is adjusted to the bigger ones
and the following small ones are not readable displayed
So I have to adjust the zoom again and again.I don't need to do this if
I choose "single Page" (in this case it means disabling the continuous-mode)
and then "fit Page width",but then I can not scroll from one Page to the next