Suggestions for enhancing the porteus 2.1 Wizard

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Suggestions for enhancing the porteus 2.1 Wizard

Post#46 by brokenman » 11 Oct 2013, 01:16

Create a 256Mb porteussave.dat using the Porteus settings centre. Then copy it to /tmp

cd /tmp
tar -c --xz -f savefile.tar.xz porteussave.dat

You should see the file reduced from 256Mb to 40Kb~
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#47 by Hamza » 12 Oct 2013, 19:59

Thanks for command line. The problem is that how would you compress this container and make a ready-to-use ISO file with that "working" container ? Expect if we supports LZO compression for container too. :)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#48 by brokenman » 13 Oct 2013, 00:07

My answer was really only with concern to being able to compress an empty save file.

I can think of a couple of different ways to handle it but it would require some rewriting of a few different tools. The main thing is that this must be done client side. The only thing that would be done in the wizard is that the user chooses a size of container. This could be something as simple as a text file written to /var/log/container with the chosen size in bytes. The container could also be stored on the server and added to the ISO in compressed form. mksquashfs compresses the container down to 4Kb.

A tool would be required client side to decompress the container. I see no point as we already have the Porteus Settings Centre which was written to create (and encrypt) save files. It would be really nice to choose a save file container in the wizard and then have it magically work when the ISO is booted ... but I think it would require many hours of work. There is always the caveat that we are a live linux and we can't have 'first run' wizards.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#49 by Hamza » 13 Oct 2013, 10:03

Expect if we can implement something like this:

Code: Select all

changes=/mnt/sda1/porteus.dat:256M
This will dynamically make the file but we need to find a way to make it "dynamically allocated" as it's done on Vbox which is really fast.
NjVFQzY2Rg==