Feedback and Bug Reports for Porteus v2.1 RC1

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Feedback and Bug Reports for Porteus v2.1 RC1

Post#1 by Ahau » 04 Jun 2013, 21:17

Hi all,

As announced here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2221, Porteus v2.1 RC1 has been released!

Please use this thread to report bugs, requests, and other feedback. Please don't pust bugs for the release candidates inside the "bug reports" sections of the forum, as those areas are for the current stable version.

Thanks!
Last edited by brokenman on 09 Jul 2013, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unstuck
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Re: Feedback and Bug Reports for Porteus v2.1 RC1

Post#2 by sean » 05 Jun 2013, 00:16

I've tried 3 times with the Wizard on a 244.5 MB build, they have all suddenly stopped at 88MB, 85MB, and 75MB. Don't know if it's me, DL traffic, or what.

This is what I had built:

32bit
GUI
LXDE
TZ=New York
Keyboard=USA
Sound=25% (good thinkin on this option)
password
Chrome
Abiword
Development Tools
Printing Support

Total = 244.5 MB

My Download speed is slow anyway (I'm kinda cheap :-), 1.5 Mbps

Sean

Cyril
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by Cyril » 05 Jun 2013, 08:56

Hi guys and thanks a lot for the new version.

So far I've tested the LXDE version. Here are some issues that I've found:

1. The "Home" folder on the desktop often doesn't work.
2. The window size in PCManFM opens each time unmaximized, no matter if you maximize it manually or not.
3. Gnome-MPlayer shows "Subtitles Visible" and blinks with some upper part of itself each time you unpause the video, and that's pretty annoying. Any way to disable this?

Cyril
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by Cyril » 05 Jun 2013, 11:51

And now about the XFCE version.

1. The HDD and the SD of my EeePC 701 are not shown in Thunar. (And, of course, all the necessary flags are checked!) I've found a workaround for this - to manually create a shortcut for the folder (like, /mnt/sdb1) and place it on the desktop. This works, but this does not solve the problem...
2. Gnome-MPlayer shows the same message as in LXDE.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: 3.2rc5 Xfce

Post#5 by ralcocer » 05 Jun 2013, 13:54

Every download using the wizzard the modules added are corrupted, I have been unable to run any of the versions, made several downloads.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#6 by Hamza » 05 Jun 2013, 14:01

We're applying an update to build wizard. Please be patient.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#7 by Hamza » 05 Jun 2013, 14:18

Wizard is back.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#8 by Ahau » 05 Jun 2013, 14:54

Cyril wrote:Hi guys and thanks a lot for the new version.

So far I've tested the LXDE version. Here are some issues that I've found:

1. The "Home" folder on the desktop often doesn't work.
2. The window size in PCManFM opens each time unmaximized, no matter if you maximize it manually or not.
3. Gnome-MPlayer shows "Subtitles Visible" and blinks with some upper part of itself each time you unpause the video, and that's pretty annoying. Any way to disable this?

Hi Cyril, thanks for your feedback!

In response to your LXDE feedback:
1) I'm not able to reproduce this on my end, are you using saved changes (perhaps saved changes from an earlier version?) or any extra modules? Does it work for one user but not another, or does it work for one session and then fail on a different boot, or is it completely random when it fails? Next time it fails, please open a terminal and run 'pcmanfm ~/' and let me know if that works or what error messages are displayed.

2) I'm also not able to reproduce this one. In both 32 and 64-bit, root and guest, when I maximize pcmanfm, close it, and reopen it from the Home shortcut on the desktop or the pcmanfm icon on the panel, it opens up maximized. Again, if you're using saved changes from an older version, please try in 'Always Fresh' mode and see if it's working for you. We may have to modify or delete some of your settings if that is the case. If you're already in 'Always Fresh' when this problem occurs, please give me the exact steps you take to recreate this so I can test it better and find the solution.

3) The subtitles issue in Gnome-Mplayer appears to be an upstream bug in gmtk. To work around this, I've pulled the latest gmtk from SVN and will put this into RC2. In the mean time, you can download the appropriate gmtk module for your architecture:

32-bit: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... -1Ahau.xzm
64-bit: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... -1Ahau.xzm

I also noticed that I neglected to pull an mplayer config file into my tree when mplayer was moved into the lxde/xfce modules. That doesn't seem to affect the bugs you brought up, but I've put a fix for that online as well just in case it helps anyone.

http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... config.xzm

You also mentioned something about a piece of mplayer blinking. I think I'm able to recreate that, but I don't yet know the cause. This is what I'm seeing -- when I open gnome-mplayer in full screen mode and left click anywhere on the screen, it opens the controls at the bottom of the screen and there's a flash of a black or gray bar in the upper left corner that is maybe 30 pixels tall and 1/4 of the screen long. Is this the same artifact you're seeing, or is it something else? I'd imagine the subtitles issue was more annoying than this, but I'd still like to fix this one if I can.

In response to your Xfce feedback about thunar -- internal devices aren't displayed on startup because thunar is using udisks2 rather than udisks1. Udisks2 apparently doesn't support this, so the only way I know of to get around it is to create shortcuts like you've done. Also, newer versions of pcmanfm are using udisks2 as well; I've not updated pcmanfm in this release specifically to retain these shortcuts through udisks1. However, as we continue to progress with newer releases, I may upgrade pcmanfm to a more recent version, which would cause these shortcuts to fail in pcmanfm as well, unless another workaround is created before then.

Thanks again!

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: 3.2rc5 Xfce

Post#9 by ralcocer » 05 Jun 2013, 15:50

The Razor desktop works fine but is useless since you can't use the root account, I reverted my Chrome to version 24 that can login as root in the lxde desktop, also xarchiver works in Razor even pcmanfm works, they are working in a qt version that I think is ready, I merged lxde and razor in my machine and they work, the problem was that working with Arduino , Fritzing will not work in Razor but it will work in lxde from the desktop files,I have them in wbar at the right side of the screen, something to do with the way fritzing is called, it works if I run it from the folder.

firefoxjet
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by firefoxjet » 05 Jun 2013, 16:07

Many thanks for the new version. Could you please post the new 2.1 crippled source module for the x86_64 version?

Thanks.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#11 by Ahau » 05 Jun 2013, 16:29

I believe crippled sources was added to the 05-devel.xzm module, which you can download here: http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/testing/Po ... 1/modules/

With that activated, you should be in good shape; if not, let us know.

Thanks!

saneks
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.0 XFCE, 2.1 Lxde

Post#12 by saneks » 05 Jun 2013, 17:22

downloaded lxde yesterday. very nice! and sooo much useful stuff in such a small iso.. will try the wizard later tonight.

so far.. our home network drive is not shown in pcmanfm.. any way to have this with pcman?

looks really sexy, but try to find some matching theme for the window manager.. the blue doesnt play so well with the darkish background.
I am VERY glad you came to openbox/LXDE with this sleek distro.. openbox can be customized nicely and can look awesome- will lookout for some leightweight themes and icons for you and I will customize my install and share some configs for keyboard shortcuts and the awesome openbox menu..

thanks for your work!!

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#13 by Ahau » 05 Jun 2013, 19:15

Thanks, saneks, I'm glad you like it!

Re: network drive in pcmanfm -- have you had it show up in any previous Porteus versions? Does it work properly in thunar? Finally, are you using samba for this? After a little research, I think the answer may lie in building an additional back end to gvfs, and I'll pursue that after I hear back from you.

Re:window manager theme -- yes, I agree that LXDE could use a better looking WM theme and I'll be happy to take a look at your suggestions :) I looked a little but didn't find anything I liked very well so I stuck with the previous theme for now.

The one thing that disappointed me about the openbox menu was that it doesn't auto-update itself when new .desktop files are added. I found a program that would build a menu for me, but it added a bunch of other stuff I didn't like, so I manually edited that menu into what you see there. Most lxde users will never see this menu, but I do want to be supportive of those who prefer openbox :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#14 by brokenman » 05 Jun 2013, 21:02

The Razor desktop works fine but is useless since you can't use the root account
Did you by chance use the web wizard? This offers you the choice of which account to use by default. Of course the other option would be to use the login=root cheatcode to boot into the root account.

Rc2 will see a new login manager for Razor which solves the bug i was having with lxdm and gdm.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

justwantin
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#15 by justwantin » 05 Jun 2013, 22:11

There is no firefox module in /i486/testing/Porteus-v2.1-rc1/modules/ although there was a firefox option in the wizard. Perhaps an oversight?

I have frugal installed on my acer netbook and so far so good. However I had occasion to use my usb stick install as a rescue disk and had to work text mode since the box had a nvidia card I had not downloaded the nvidia module. X wouldn't start and I had to hit reset and reboot. I don't know if it is possible but perhaps it would be worthwhile to have porteus (1) bump back onto a commandline interface if the correct graphics card module is not on board or maybe (2) default to the fb module.