would like to join the team

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
edge226
Contributor
Contributor

would like to join the team

Post#1 by edge226 » 06 Jul 2012, 08:25

Hello I talked with Fanthom a while ago on the Mini-Chat about possibly joining the development team as an idea guy. I've been away for my computer for a while and now I am back doing work on it I would like to join the team and help with coordination as well.

I did take 2 years of programming so would also be willing to be a bug searcher, I seem to find a lot. I tinker and test everything!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: would like to join the team

Post#2 by brokenman » 06 Jul 2012, 12:06

Welcome to the team!
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 06 Jul 2012, 12:29

@edge226

please send me an email to fanthom@porteus.org and i'll add you to the dev mailing list.
there is a long way of learning how this OS works ahead of you so be prepared.
you'll be assigned to resolve some bugs first and get other tasks when needed.

btw: please think twice before you do it. you'll get approx 20+ mails per day before each new release (even rc's).
no time for friends, family, etc...
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 by brokenman » 06 Jul 2012, 12:35

Just to add, Inactive contributors can be removed after some time.

Fanthom is right ... during release times things can get a little hectic and time can become a problem. We need bug hunters ... and bug fixers are even more welcome ... but be sure you have the time before committing to helping with contributing/developing.

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by edge226 » 06 Jul 2012, 16:45

well I think of it this way, I've been using linux for over 10 years, looking for what I believe to be the perfect distro for me. Porteus 1.1 was great, Porteus 1.2 is absolutely amazing. I love how porteus works and have wanted to help a distro for a while, some seem to have too much drama in the community and lose focus.

I know this is the right community and distribution for me, I can only offer to do my best which is what you guys will receive.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 by brokenman » 06 Jul 2012, 23:17

Awesome. Your help is appreciated. The lack of drama and games is one reason i like the community too. There are no power freaks or nut cases (well not many) and we really are a community project. I like that direction. It's healthy for all aspects of a distro.

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by edge226 » 08 Jul 2012, 17:32

That really means a lot to me brokenman, I think many other linux distributions have been compromised by the wrong people joining up.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#8 by wread » 09 Jul 2012, 01:20

@edge226
Maybe you can help with this "inconsistence":

1.- run porteus 32-bit trinity (it happens with kde4 too) and connect to the net with network manager. Take a look at the icons that appear in the panel right, near the clock.

2.- put the base module 003-lxde in a folder outside the union (so you won't loose it); it should not be activated the next start. Now reboot and observe the network manager icons again. They are different and more cute!

In other words, lxde, although not running, spoils the nice image of trinity (and of kde4).

This is not properly a bug, but an almost-bug.....

It would be nice to have the correct (more cute) icons whenever trinity (or kde4) runs. Try it!

Welcome on board!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by edge226 » 09 Jul 2012, 20:04

will certainly take a look into that wread and see if I can find anything as to how to resolve the issue.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#10 by Ahau » 09 Jul 2012, 22:07

A little OT, but anyway:

Based on my (albeit limited) experience with icons, it sounds like there are icons included with the network-manager package, which slackware would stick in /usr/share/icons/hicolor, but the lxde icons also include pix for n-m with the same name. Given that networkmanager is a gnome app, the kde icon theme probably doesn't include them. Icon themes can inherit from one another, meaning the system will show the icon from the kde icon theme first, if it's not there then it will show the one from lxde; if it isn't there, it will move down to hicolor.

If I'm right, the fixes would include adding the icons from the hicolor theme to the kde theme, or overwriting them in the lxde theme ( a little more sloppy there). HTH :)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!