Using slapt-get as a package manager for Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Using slapt-get as a package manager for Porteus

Post#16 by fanthom » 21 Dec 2011, 02:33

In terms of availability slackware does not seem to offer as much packages as debian
true but i'm not really worrying about it. Porteus supposed to be small and fast, containing only necessary apps (pocket OS - same as slax). you can extend it's features by additional modules but full blown hd installation is not the main goal here.
if you need that functionality then better go with distros designated for it like debian, *buntu, fedora, suse, mandriva/mageia, etc.
having a large repo is always a nice thing (users can have a choice) but maintaining thousands of packages would be too much for us at the moment i guess.
i would rather focus on smaller number of apps available and making sure that they are up to date and working as expected.
What is nice about porteus is that it is simple and fast. I would like to have that on the top of a debian system.
should be possible as some time ago i have used PClinuxOS as a base system for Porteus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4pqrZD3 ... yDJRwMSANn
anyway - this was only a proof of concept.
Debian has some nice live distros out there like crunchbang - maybe worth trying?

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#17 by francois » 21 Dec 2011, 23:29

My problem is that I have been functioning frugal install slax and since remix, remix and then porteus for the main systems of my boxes. That might be the reason why I am always leaning toward the hdd intall mirage of the porteus os.

At times I like linux as a hobby, but at other times I have the impression of spending too much time on it. It becomes some sort of addiction.

I am kind of addicted to the crispy, but response and the flexibility of the system. Debian, ubuntu and the like are so slow, at times could be so complicated (I hate sudo and the obligation to be in cli mode to modify the system). I am so grateful that you have kept the root user account.

Maybe I should just be patient and participate fully to the implementation of brokenman's ppm, to understand fully the revolution coming in terms of package management.

Let me say that I appreciate very much the openness, readiness and creativity of the porteus community.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#18 by francois » 19 May 2012, 16:23

@fanthom:
Crunchbang is really worth a try. I have made it my non portable ditribution. Fast, simple, nice and rarer good philosophy and forum. Comes with really basic installation.

@rava:
Gslapt might be your dependency resolution option. If not Crunchbang with apt-get installs xsane easily.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#19 by francois » 05 Jun 2017, 03:22

This is called necro bumping. I am sure Ed or bogomips will come up with a fresher thread on slapt-get.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#20 by francois » 20 Feb 2023, 14:10

I will use this old thread as a base for a new thread on slap-get and gslapt.

To be followed ...

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#21 by Ed_P » 21 Feb 2023, 05:32

This thread is 12 yrs old. :shock: Time to start a new thread.
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#22 by francois » 21 Feb 2023, 11:44

Please read what bigbass was planning to do, and try to do it. We will then make a new thread for porteus 5.0 after.

Meanwhile, I have asked for an option on gslapt to download without installing a package and its dependencies.

Thanks.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#23 by francois » 22 Feb 2023, 11:05

I am in contact with the authors of slapt-get and gslapt. Good news:
1) there is a download only option, thus a possible module creation with the download file structure.
I am waiting for clarification on
2) adding sources like alien, ponce ... ... and
3) the production of FILES.TXT wich are needed for package dependencies resolution. In the end, I have the feeling that if I get this sorted out, the slackware pasture could be extended to what it was under PPM. Thus improving the pasture of getmod. And also, It is possible to
4) integrate packages built from source with local source located on an individual computer.

I will integrate all this information to this thread to begin, then ...

More info to come.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#24 by francois » 26 Feb 2023, 07:04

I have dumped a lot of info in the first thread. Using depmod in conjunction with gslapt is interesting. gslapt is a gui interface that makes searching packages more easy.

I have added additional sources to gslapt thru its interface: alien, ponce, slonly. Once updated, gslapt or getmod can use these packages to make modules. Alien and slonly seem to that the famous FILES.TXT that are needed for dependency resolution. Ponce does not seem.

Faq 10 and 17 provides the explanation for dependency resolution and a script to provide the needed PACKAGES.TXT for dependency resolution to work with slapt-get. Stefano Stabellini and/or gapan, seem to provide some script for dependency resolution. And Stabellini provides a script for PACKAGES.TXT and gives zenwalk distribution as an example.

Zenwalk will uses slapt-get, but its home brewed package manager is netpkg. It seems that the pasture of zenwalk would be limited.
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... 28#zenwalk