XFCe - Thunar file manager with "Tabs"?

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

XFCe - Thunar file manager with "Tabs"?

Post#1 by Rava » 20 Mar 2012, 18:50

Since I was "forced" to use LXDE for quite some months now, I started to like that the standard file manager of it, pcmanfm is able to use Tabs... Now... this is a feature I really miss with Thunar. Sure, I could "EMULATE" that by using the "Short Cuts SidePan", but it would not be the same, since pcmanfm don't remember the tabs, while Thunar would remember all "Short Cuts" I would create.

So, any XFCe fans out there who have any solution for me? Is it possible to tweak Thunar Tabs towards ability? 8)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: XFCe - Thunar file manager with "Tabs"?

Post#2 by Hamza » 20 Mar 2012, 19:42

According to this article
FSM wrote:If you are using the latest or a recent version of Thunar, many plugins will come pre-installed; this can be checked by selecting Properties from any file or Directory right click. As features are added the number of tabs increased and you can configure them from within each tab. Using Thunar to browse audio files in particular reminds me how brilliant Konqueror's service menus are when it comes to options for codec conversion. After a bit of hunting I managed to turn up a nice little Debian binary which added some of those functions to Thunar. In fact it is a Nautilus script but it installs and works perfectly well with Thunar too. Head over to the Xubuntu Blog, grab a copy, install it and follow the instructions on the site to configure it for Thunar's User Custom Action. Right click any audio file and the Audio Convert script will launch and convert according to your selection--codec (flac, ogg, wav, ape and aac), meta tags and bitrates:
I think you have to upgrade your Thunar to lastest version available. That may require you to compile a new one from scratch. I haven't any experience with it so we need to wait someone like Ahau or Ponce or maybe Crashman to give us some help :)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 20 Mar 2012, 21:55

This has been discussed a bit over on the XFCE forums. Thunar does not have tabs and there are no plans to add them, I don't think the developer sees a good reason for it, but it sounds like he would consider a patch if someone wrote one. If you happen across a patch I'd be happy to recompile thunar and test it out. For now, if you must have tabs, your best option would be to add pcmanfm to xfce and use it instead (or any other tabbed file manager). If you'd like help customizing XFCE to run pcmanfm or some other FM as a default, just let me know.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Rava » 21 Mar 2012, 02:02

Ahau wrote:Thunar does not have tabs and there are no plans to add them, I don't think the developer sees a good reason for it, but it sounds like he would consider a patch if someone wrote one. If you happen across a patch I'd be happy to recompile thunar and test it out.
Do you know the forum the Thunar developer is in mostly? Then I try ask him (or her?) directly.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#5 by Ahau » 21 Mar 2012, 14:24

see these:
http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=4780
http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6726

The lead developer for Thunar (at least, listed that way in their git repo) is Jannis Pohlmann. I don't recall seeing a lot of messages from him on the xfce forum, but I have seen responses from him on the thunar-dev mailing list: http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/thunar-dev/

That said, this has been requested already, and I think they want to keep thunar closer to KISS ideals. But, you never know.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Rava » 21 Mar 2012, 18:31

Thanks for the info...

In my book, having just one filemanager - best with with two open directory listings - like the mc does it - or the tab version that pcmanfs does - is more like KISS than the need of two such file managers on the desktop to just copy or move or compare some files. *shrug*
Also I like how mc remembers all the folders the right or left side already visited...
Cheers!
Yours Rava