Skype 4.3.0.37

Post links to your 32-bit module repos here. Repo maintainers are responsible for resolving any issues caused by their xzm's.
bdheeman
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus 3.0.1+ MATE/XFCE

Skype 4.3.0.37

Post#1 by bdheeman » 17 Aug 2014, 14:04

A highly revised slackbuild script is available here for your testing and, or use.

It'll build quite a lightweight Slackware package, which can/must be converted to Porteus module using txz2xzm script ;)

Currently, it's building (re-packaging) the latest skype 4.3.0.37 for i486 or 32bit machines nicely, hope it'll build future versions as well. I have moved parts of qt and other requisite modules to standard places to avoid conflicts with official packages. The latest skype depends on (or, requires indeed) pulseauido, for which users can use slackbuild scripts either from SBo site or from here

I could not figure out why the execution aborts on x86_64 or 64bit machines. Futhermore, I think, we can remove more un-wanted stuff from /usr/lib/qt as well; suggestions welcomed.

Feedback of users, though howsoever negative shall highly be appreciated :)

EDIT: Updated links to new site/locations ;-)
Last edited by bdheeman on 19 Apr 2015, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman (http://bdheeman.BlogSpot.in/)
"Working together, works! The proof is GNU/Linux and F/LOSS Projects;
Do you too voluntarily work on or contribute to making any difference?"

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 32 bit XFCE

Re: Skype 4.3.0.37

Post#2 by Payoon » 17 Aug 2014, 19:03

Hi bdheeman,
have tried to use slackbuild file following the instructions on the slackwiki.com, but when I try to execute "skype.SlackBuild" I will get the message :
skype.SlackBuild: line 28: source: skype.info: file not found
. But I see the "skype.info" file right in front of me. Unfortunatley I do not have any experience with slackbuilds.
Some days ago I made a skype 4.3.0.37 from a mix of a puppy.pet and some missing debian dependencies. That works (meaning it starts without errors), but I do not know how to handle pulseaudio so I have no sound and skype without sound is like a car without gasoline. I have a module for that pulseaudio, but it doesn't want to run as root and creating user pulse also didn't help. How to use that in connection with skype?

Best regards,
Payoon

bdheeman
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus 3.0.1+ MATE/XFCE

Post#3 by bdheeman » 18 Aug 2014, 17:28

Payoon wrote:Hi bdheeman,
have tried to use slackbuild file following the instructions on the slackwiki.com, but when I try to execute "skype.SlackBuild" I will get the message :
skype.SlackBuild: line 28: source: skype.info: file not found
But I see the "skype.info" file right in front of me. Unfortunatley I do not have any experience with slackbuilds.
Some days ago I made a skype 4.3.0.37 from a mix of a puppy.pet and some missing debian dependencies. That works (meaning it starts without errors), but I do not know how to handle pulseaudio so I have no sound and skype without sound is like a car without gasoline. I have a module for that pulseaudio, but it doesn't want to run as root and creating user pulse also didn't help. How to use that in connection with skype?
You're trying to build/(re-)package skype as root; whereas I prefer doing doing such things as a regular user only. The solution to this is either add . (dot) to your $PATH or build it as regular user.

IMHO, the pulseaudio is defacto audio server/system for X these days; every popular distro includes it. Hence, the developers/maintainers of skype at Microsoft seem to be smart enough.
--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman (http://bdheeman.BlogSpot.in/)
"Working together, works! The proof is GNU/Linux and F/LOSS Projects;
Do you too voluntarily work on or contribute to making any difference?"

Ole
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 32 / Wifislax / Slackw

Post#4 by Ole » 19 Aug 2014, 06:08

hello skype friends... i run WIFISLAX and PORTEUS as well with 32bit, crossing over with modules. When I put my pulseaudio module in Porteus, the system stops the startup and loops. The skype module was build from the deb pkg. WIFISLAX works fine with it ! :evil:
Anyone a clue ? :x

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 32 bit XFCE

Post#5 by Payoon » 19 Aug 2014, 14:28

Hi bdheeman,
thanks for Your reply. I have both Skype and pulseaudio modules now, but even after hours of "googling" I cannot get pulseaudio to work (as user pulse).Skype starts. I have put a request in the i-486 modules request section to create a "Skype with pulseaudio for dummies" Module. Until then I will stay put. For Your advice thanks again.
Payoon