internet security tools 1.0

Post links to your 64bit module repos here. Repo maintainers are responsible for resolving any issues caused by their xzm's.
freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

internet security tools 1.0

Post#1 by freestyler » 09 Mar 2014, 13:31

This is a set of internet security tools with a custom GUI. Its main features include an easy to use GUI frontend for openVPN and Dnscrypt-proxy (DNS Encryption). This module also includes Tor - connect to the onion router, Bleachbit - Clears browser history and other unused files similar to ccleaner, as well as one click installs for disconnect + noscript firefox addons. It can be run from the menu or from terminal using "internet-security-tools"

Category: Security
Distribution: Porteus 3.0
Architecture: 64 bit
Download: internet-security-tools-1.0.xzm
https://www.porteus-apps.org

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor

Re: internet security tools 1.0

Post#2 by freestyler » 11 Mar 2014, 01:11

Anyone tried it? Any problems? Any suggestions?

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#3 by ncmprhnsbl » 12 Mar 2014, 07:45

thanks for making this :)

tried gtk version..
menu entry didnt show in Lxde.. had a look at the .desktop file, changed line:

GenericName=Internet Security Tools to
Name=Internet Security Tools
which worked...

tried tor -- got this

Mar 12 16:07:31.820 [Warning] /opt/tor-browser-bundle/Data/Tor is not owned by this user (guest, 1000) but by root (0). Perhaps you are running Tor as the wrong user?
Mar 12 16:07:31.820 [Warning] Failed to parse/validate config: Couldn't access/create private data directory "/opt/tor-browser-bundle/Data/Tor"
Mar 12 16:07:31.820 [Error] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

doesn't like to be owned(or run) by root, so i changed the ownership to guest and that allowed Tor to start.
tor button flashing...seems to be saying its out of date?
also Tor doesnt play nice with porteus site or forum..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

dustbunnies
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: hop_around

Post#4 by dustbunnies » 12 Mar 2014, 22:28

Thanks for sharing. I intend to check it out.

In the browsing tab of your GU,I does "(install) Disconnect" refer to "disconnect.me" addon?
(If so, that addon -- its purported value proposition -- seems like a stupid/cruel joke, IMO)
"Okay, stand riiiiiiiiiiiight HERE, and wave... and we promises, cross-my-heart, not to track ya. Feel better? Great!" {hehheh}

Also, IMO, using NoScript addon seems like "cutting off my nose to spite my face".
I lean heavily on "RequestPolicy" ff addon, but seldom casually recommend it (b/c it requires setup/fiddling)
As a runner-up, I would use (and recommend) "AdBlock Edge" addon

=================

re: DNScrypt
Do you have any insight/advice how to chain it to
dnsspoof http://linux.die.net/man/8/dnsspoof -or- aranea https://github.com/TigerSecurity/aranea
and dnsmasq
?

With, or without, DNScrypt in the mix...
my immediate goal is to transparently filter/block DNS requests, using a blocklist comprised of regex patterns, and to cache all DNS responses.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 13 Mar 2014, 14:06

Nice work. I enjoy your site a lot. Everything comes bundled and working.

Bleachbit is evil. I asked it to clean broken .desktop files and it deleted all the packages downloaded through USM. /tmp/usm/*
Same problem above with tor. Need to run: chown -R 1000:1000 /opt/tor-browser-bundle/Data
After this I got the usual complaint about my clock time. After altering this it worked.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by freestyler » 14 Mar 2014, 00:10

Thanks for the replies. I will make changes and fix problems today.

@dustbunnies, I haven't used dnsmasq or dnsspoof but I will check it out. As for the firefox addons, I had a lil extra room so I thought id chuck em in since I keep hearing about people wanting noscript.

@brokenman, Thanks and thanks for helping with the script. Looks like bleachbit has a mind of its own.

dustbunnies
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by dustbunnies » 14 Mar 2014, 05:52

Naw, not evil. I give props to the bleachbit author.
He's been very responsive to bug reports @github & is pulling his hair out trying to support bb usage under windows as well as linux.
Maybe he's spread himself too thin to cover such a large scope?

Most of the cleaning tasks performed by bleachbit can be handled via a bash script instead. I've hammered out a pre-remastering cleanup under Debian. With modification, it has also served me well as a "keep yer puppy savefile slim" utility. Vacuuming sqlite (browser cache, etc) file is really the only task I goto bleachbit for. That too could be scripted, but... so far, I've opted to just delete (places.sqlite and select others) and firefox browser autocreates the missing files next time it runs. I'll upload a copy of that script to pastebin if you're interested, freestyler. As is, it only addresses apps I've installed, though. Hmm, instead of setting up a bleachbit config (or presuming the user has done so. Maybe why it misbehaved for brokenman?) ...can't we pass commandline arguments to bleachbit, calling only select (browser-specific) bb plugins? (I haven't checked; maybe that's the approach you're already using.)

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by freestyler » 14 Mar 2014, 09:49

Cheers everyone for the testing. Just applied the fixes and updated it on the webpage. Should work sweet now. I'm already kicking around some idea's the next version like just one module for all DE's

@dustbunnies. I haven't looked much into bleachbit but will check it out. Wouldn't mind having a look at this script of yours too. I'll put in adblock block edge next update.

dustbunnies
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#9 by dustbunnies » 15 Mar 2014, 06:37

AdBlockEdge (same is true for AdblockPlus) merits a notation, but idunno how you could present it.
Each time you edit a rule and/or each time EasyList or whatever subscription updates, the addon creates a backup copy of its config.
By default, IIRC, the addon will keep 5 backup copies, bumping the oldest copy with each save.
The point: If you subscribe to several blocklists, config file may be 18-20Mb... times 5 ~~ consuming 100Mb of storage space.

Nixing all but the current, or 2 most recent, is one of the cleanup items addressed in my script.
I typically only use a single ff profile though, and my observation above (100Mb uncompressed) is based on that.
For someone who uses multiple profiles, ouch. Almost certainly the overhead is compounded by each profile in which the addon is installed.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#10 by donald » 15 Mar 2014, 12:45

For me, the most practical way to prevent ads is to disable javascript.
Therefore I like the Midori Browser.It has a build in Function (Buttons at the Bottom) to dis- enable javascript/ flash/ picture download and you can overwrite the "user agent" string on the fly.
an easy to use cookie/ downloads/ history/ bookmarks -management is also implemented (if you enable it) press F9 to look at.
Yes Midori crash/freeze from Time to Time, who cares?
with javascript disabled 90% (imo) of the ads are not visible....
and also for "security", I don't want to block just ads, I want to disable
javascipt (easily and selectively)..that's the point.... :wink: