Some basic questions please

Non release banter
rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Some basic questions please

Post#1 by rnport » 23 Dec 2011, 06:44

I used porteus earlier but had to discontinue it due to some reasons. I want to use it again. Could someone please answer following simple questions for me:

1. Which version should I use now (I need a stable distro)
2. Can I start porteus in a user mode (not root) and how to do it if it is not default?
3. To do admin work, do I use sudo or su ?
4. Can I start porteus without mounting all partitions (I think I can use noauto cheatcode)?
5. I think the modules are in xzm format. Can I use lzm2xzm command to convert some lzm modules from slax repository?
6. How can I choose to work in lxde, kde-trinity and kde4 ?

I know the information is all here on this website, but it will be very helpful if someone can briefly answer these questions.
Thanks in advance.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Some basic questions please

Post#2 by brokenman » 23 Dec 2011, 14:03

Good to see you again rnport!
1. Which version should I use now (I need a stable distro)
I recommend the latest stable rc which is in testing folder on server. You could wait the latest final release (Early January at very latest) which will contain a much nicer package manager and many other goodies.
Latest version
2. Can I start porteus in a user mode (not root) and how to do it if it is not default?
User:guest Pass:guest
Yes. Porteus now boots to guest account by default. You can logout and log back in root or use the toroot cheat code to boot intoy our root account if needed. Cheatcode docs are in 'docs' folder of ISO.
3. To do admin work, do I use sudo or su ?
su
Many applications require root access ... and you will be prompted for root if required.
4. Can I start porteus without mounting all partitions (I think I can use noauto cheatcode)?
Yes. nohd. Please read the 'cheatcodes' document in docs folder (or on website) as there were many refinements to cheats with some excellent new options too!
5. I think the modules are in xzm format. Can I use lzm2xzm command to convert some lzm modules from slax repository?
As of this next version we are dropping support for lzm files. We have moved to the newer squashfs4 format. You can however download the older squashfs tool that handle lzm files (i have a copy here) and use it to unpack your module, then repack it using the newer squashfs4 tools (contained in package manager or module tools).
6. How can I choose to work in lxde, kde-trinity and kde4 ?
After installing, when you boot you have a boot menu choice. The 32bit Porteus boot menu offers lxde and Trinity. The 64bit menu offers lxde and KDE4.

Some developers have created an 'xfce' module and also a KDE4 set of modules for 32bit Porteus. Thanks Ahau & Wread.

Hope we see more of you rnport!

Jay
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Re: Some basic questions please

Post#3 by rnport » 23 Dec 2011, 17:12

@brokenman: Thanks for prompt and clear answers. I will get back to you with feedback.