Windows 8 preview

Non release banter
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Windows 8 preview

Post#1 by brokenman » 29 Sep 2011, 18:56

Get it here and use vbox or something else. Looks like another major change in direction for the UI. The start button has been replaced with a retro user interface ... very different. Programs aren't closed anymore. Once you are finished with them they are simply sent to background as in android and other similar interfaces. I'm starting to hate it already. Decide for yourself.

In vbox create a 20Gb drive andd use 2Gb ram for the virtual machine. You'll also need a windows live account.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Re: Windows 8 preview

Post#2 by Tonio » 29 Sep 2011, 22:53

brokenman wrote:I'm starting to hate it already. Decide for yourself.

In vbox create a 20Gb drive andd use 2Gb ram for the virtual machine. You'll also need a windows live account.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
@brokenman

I have installed it on one of my machines at work(school). I do not have a windows live account and it runs without it :) Students that have new windows phones tell me that it is just like their cell phone Windows OS.

I do see some comparisons between it and gnome 3 :) I am not much of a windows (tester) but I ran windows 7 beta and it worked well[ :( sorry for posting this ], but they released the full product and it was then non-functional

It seems to me that it is more geared to a phone/ipad/.../small device than a full fledged desktop. The landscape of desktop computing has/is changing rapidly. It is working ok, but still like to run FreeBSD/Linux more than this :) It is still good to know about the new operating systems and learn about them.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 30 Sep 2011, 15:20

20 GB just to install the core OS? I think we just found a new ad campaign for Porteus:

"1/100th the size. 100 times the flexibility. 1000 times more fun. No Bills. Welcome to Porteus Linux."
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#4 by wread » 01 Oct 2011, 12:05

Fine Bussiness, Ahau! :Yahoo!:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Tonio » 01 Oct 2011, 18:17

@ahau,

The "No Bills" now would depend on the "Porteus Cloud" :) If @fanthom and/or @brokenman are into "Cloud Computing" and people want to use it, then there would be "Bills" :)

However, the Development process of M$ is changing to releasing the software so users can test it, it is still "CLOSED" and not open like Linux/FreeBSD/open source OS :)
Definitely a much better system is Porteus than Windows8 Preview in many regards :), but if one takes the chance to test it for FREE, forgive me for sinning. I won't buy the OS no matter how good/great it works. Linux/FreeBSD live on my machines and some are dual boot in order to run some M$ software which wine does not handle well :(

@wread
Have you taken it for a test?

@all
My students say that it*(windows 8 developer preview) is more of a tablet/phone OS, than a real desktop like old :evil:
Some are taking Gnome3 distros like Fedora for a spin and are liking it some more than (window$)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 by brokenman » 01 Oct 2011, 20:26

The 20Gb is just a recommendation for installing in vbox although i would imagine the OS would come close to filling that on a drive based on the natural progression (read bloat) of win.

We are generally creatures of habit by nature and i remember the fuss when the last 'major mixup' was released and everybody want down grades from Vista to XP. I got alot of work out of that and i have a feeling folks are going to want to hold on to their windows 7 for now. This looks great for hand helds and those other large touch screen devices ... but i think i will stick with Porteus and win7.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Tonio » 04 Oct 2011, 12:05

@all

I use MikTeX on Windows a TeX distribution like TeXLive for linux/freebsd and windows too. On the blog, I found how to turn on back the regular old desktop like previous versions of windows

http://blog.miktex.org/post/2011/09/MiK ... ows-8.aspx

Code: Select all

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Value RPEnabled=0x00000000 
in case anyone is interested. Apologies for having sinned :(
Sent using FreeBSD :) I like playing with operating systems, and I am learning more about virtualbox.

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
FreeBSD e213-amd64-1.grullahighschool.org 9.0-BETA2 FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2 #0: Tue Sep 20 10:02:05 CDT 2011     root@e213-amd64-1:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
$ 

BlackRider
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by BlackRider » 04 Oct 2011, 20:51

It seems to me that Windows 8 is part of the global conspiracy which is trying to kill the traditional Desktops and Workstations in order to force the consumer to like and use toy devices, such as tablets.

No offense intended against tablets and such, but really, some of us use the computer for serious tasks, like engineering design. I haven't tried to use any structure calculation software on a a tablet, but I guess the hardware would become toasted if I tried.

This new design seems driven by the fact that most firms stay staled in Windows XP (because it is the last serious Windows). As MS knows that firms are not going to switch from that version, they are likely trying to impress the home (read "dumb") users with a tablet like system, using the combo "Tablet+Windows 8" as a marketing boost and as a competitor to Android.

Those who use a traditional computer for serious task are surely going to hate this thing. It is going to be Vista 2 for them, so I bet most will stay with old Windows versions or even trash Windows if they are able to. The effect in home users is yet to be seen.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 by brokenman » 05 Oct 2011, 23:17

I concur whole heartedly. I think they could better spend their time refining things instead of making a complete GUI overhaul.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#10 by agreimann » 10 Nov 2011, 22:16

@BlackRider & brokenman: Totally agree with you guys. Right on!

Crosscut
Ronin
Ronin

Post#11 by Crosscut » 30 Nov 2011, 08:44

BlackRider wrote:It seems to me that Windows 8 is part of the global conspiracy which is trying to kill the traditional Desktops and Workstations in order to force the consumer to like and use toy devices, such as tablets.
Hope it will be just a kind of experiment and Windows 9 will have a more traditional look.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#12 by wread » 30 Nov 2011, 16:21

@Crosscut
Welcome on board!
Windows 9? You are so optimist! They will bring "Lindows 9" instead.... :Yahoo!:

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#13 by Hamza » 30 Nov 2011, 18:22

In the business plan of Microsoft, all things have been done to works nicely and get the maximum of the benefices, they can have.

There is some major release like WinXP and right now that is Win7.
So, if We uses the Microsoft's Plan, the next version of Windows OS will be unpopular like WinVista was.

An example,

-Windows XP (Whistler) was a revolution and a success for Microsoft Corporation. (I am not doing their ads.. ;) )
-Windows Vista (Longhorn) was a big fail and it was published with many bugs which they have been fixed in Windows 7 instead send the fixes via Windows Update.
-Windows 7 (Vienna) was a success because, it was more fast and it has been released with many new features like Vocal Word Function (write using a micro instead a keyboard)

If We try to understand their logic, I assume this is the next one,
We publish a good OS one year, so we have a good success and good reputation. The next version, we will not pay too many people to test and fix the bugs about WinVista. The last version, we get a bad reputation with WinVista, so this year, we will again make a good OS and release a good OS and also pay some people for testing and bug's fixing. That is stupid as Business Plan of Microsoft.
NjVFQzY2Rg==