Greetings: new user, distro developer.

Non release banter
TheDoctor
White ninja
White ninja

Greetings: new user, distro developer.

Post#1 by TheDoctor » 03 Sep 2011, 21:38

Hello, everyone.

I am a relatively new user of Porteus Linux - I tend to carry a couple of live distributions around with me for various tasks, but Porteus is definitely one of the more interesting and useful ones for me.

I am one of the developers of a derivative distribution of Porteus called Project Byzantium, which aims to make it fast and easy to set up an ad-hoc mesh network using standard computer equipment. The other Byzantium developers are hardcore Slackware users, and I originally come from a Slackware background, so using Porteus as our base seems like a logical direction to move in. We have written a significant amount of code already and have made a number of Porteus packages (some to support mesh networking, others for the purpose of development), and we have made our SVN and Git repositories available to everyone who would like to examine or make use of them.

I think I speak for my fellow developers when I say that we are very impressed with Porteus, and I think that we are going to stick with it for a while yet to come. I do not know how much I will be active on these forums, but I will certainly answer any questions that anyone may have.

Thank you for your time, everyone.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Greetings: new user, distro developer.

Post#2 by fanthom » 03 Sep 2011, 21:51

sounds interesting :)

i'm wonder if your distro is the one which pizarr0 was talking about in this thread:
http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 5692#p5647

i'm sure we will be able to share some ideas and cooperate on the live distro background :)

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

TheDoctor
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by TheDoctor » 04 Sep 2011, 01:56

fanthom wrote:i'm wonder if your distro is the one which pizarr0 was talking about in this thread:
http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 5692#p5647
Reading what pizarr0 described, it does not appear that he is talking about Project Byzantium. It would be flattering if he was, but it sounds like he is speaking of a more direct fork of Slackware Linux.
i'm sure we will be able to share some ideas and cooperate on the live distro background :)
I would like that very much. I am still getting my feet wet insofar as building packages are concerned (I am working on a custom nginx Porteus package tonight, for what it is worth) and have a way to go yet.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 05 Sep 2011, 09:26

dont be afraid to ask Porteus specific questions in 'General chat'. if you have suggestions please post them in 'Development' section of the forum.
'ready to go' solutions and various contributions (packages, artwork, etc) are also very welcome :)

btw: changed desc of 'Project Byzantium' subforum a bit. if you want to post more info about this project, feel free to do it in 'General Chat' or designated section.

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.