Non release banter
Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Re: General discussion : Porteus alternative package manager

Post#31 by Falcony » 14 Jun 2017, 11:01

donald wrote:IMHO -- bundles repository --

Why all the fuss about bundles?
If i am able to build them via USM, everyone else should be able to do the same.
If not --> RTFM

Two exceptions -- a browser and e.g. nvidia drivers
Not two Please check this viewtopic.php?f=117&t=6997

As you see - user which stand with most common problem of porteus. Instead of using ready and approved module he faced with many-many "advises". Some of them may be could solve the problem but... Frankly speaking it is not user's problem. It is problem of module's maintainers - which currently porteus have no.

Surely, many small utilities could be converted on the fly but if we start talk about complex software - surely NOT.

It is matter of responsible for package maintainers - to select proper build options, to build, to make proper inital confi files and rc scriprts and to test.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#32 by donald » 14 Jun 2017, 14:46

^^I understand your point of view.

On the other hand i can not readjust most of the issues.
e.g.
Re: Virtual Box (Post by donald #55974)

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#33 by Blaze » 14 Jun 2017, 17:39

Offtopic
Hamza wrote:Someone said my name ? :roll:

karis - am I right?
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Evan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Distribution: *

Post#34 by Evan » 14 Jun 2017, 23:27

donald wrote:On the other hand i can not readjust most of the issues.
This isn't the first thing that works for you but not for others so there must be a difference between the 32bit and 64bit version of Porteus as you run 32bit from your avatar details?

Bogomips>>> konsole doesn't work

Donald>>> It works for me

Image :)

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#35 by Falcony » 15 Jun 2017, 05:55

Evan wrote:
donald wrote:On the other hand i can not readjust most of the issues.
This isn't the first thing that works for you but not for others so there must be a difference between the 32bit and 64bit version of Porteus as you run 32bit from your avatar details?

Bogomips>>> konsole doesn't work

Donald>>> It works for me

Image :)
It is also matter of right organization of repository. And via right name conversion it is easy to understand which bundles have to run on which DE/version of base system.

Surely we do not need to support many complex modules - only most common.
But it is matter of future discussion. Now we need to start with something and get number volunteers.

Here is we start:

http://brokenman.porteus.org/bundles/

I already asked brokenman to do something to link modules (sync, or redirect) with main porteus server e.g. http://dl.porteus.org/i586/current/bundles/ and http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/current/

But it is just technical matter, and will be solved, i think. Novice users have to know they using official community modules - and for them it have to be easy to find modules - that is right way.

If you already create modules for yourself - and then upload it to mediafire, etc, stop this bad practice.

Send private message to brokenman to give access for you. Please to not hesitate join community - if you are care of porteus, of couse.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#36 by donald » 15 Jun 2017, 11:41

^
PM has been sent.
Let's see what I can upload...(if i'm allowed to) :wink:

EDIT
What bundles do you think are the most needed?
Last edited by donald on 15 Jun 2017, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#37 by Bogomips » 15 Jun 2017, 11:54

@ Falcony
Some straight talking there! :D
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#38 by Evan » 15 Jun 2017, 23:22

Other projects have a full working set of Video drivers that are kept up to date so if portues can't even achieve that as a basic requirement then how is any of this in reality going to work?

I've been on the internet long enough to know that if a project doesn't have any technically competent volunteers with the free time for the latest drivers then it pretty much doesn't have time for anything else.

Now there's some straight talking. :)

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#39 by francois » 16 Jun 2017, 04:01

Hamza :D

Salut! J'espère que tu te portes bien. Toujours la même photo. Je trouves que tu ne vieillis pas vite.

Others.
Bundles: Why maintain bundles for some packages easy to be built with slackyd or sbopkg?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#40 by Falcony » 16 Jun 2017, 07:04

donald

U already called them. Drivers, browsers - and vb.
Other? Think what you are anyway build - that may need for othr.

Evan
I've been on the internet long enough to know that if a project doesn't have any technically competent volunteers with the free time for the latest drivers then it pretty much doesn't have time for anything else.
Surely u noted well right. But u never get competent volunteers if such policy as now to new users continue.
Hey, man - i know most u from slax forum more then ten years. U remember how TomasM reflect to slax remix project efforts. He may get much forces from brokenman and phantom - but he rejected. Quite stupid from his side.
Let's not repeat his errors. Why Neko - which contribute much - still not official developer? He much competent - it see each. Let be a little more democratic - it good undestanting of this word surely. Or porteus will go to there where slax comes now - https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07669

In this point quite important to give access to repository for users - official repositiory of porteus. Any user could become maintainer - if he/she know that his/her efforts needed for people. Organization of common and shared work could be made later - 1-st it is quite important to get people to one place.

francois
Why maintain bundles for some packages easy to be built with slackyd or sbopkg?
Main q. is what target of porteus? To be bad Lego as TomasM slax - not maintained, or be as kiosk which fanthom push? Or what?

For me - easy desktop - easy for users.
And that will go to

1) modules have to be 100% workable;
2) number of programs and thay types have to cover needs of most desktop users;
3) build option proper selected ( and disable all unneeded and security dangerous) ;
4) Config files already provided (right config)

slackyd/sbopkg - just wrappers to slackbuilds and official Slackware reps. It is not cover upper ones modules req. It is stupid and automatic tools. Going to arch base also give many problems - as arch linux changed constantly - this problem needed to solve - at level of official repository - or you live system will work as trash system - so all packages/modules needed to be freeze - again - at official repository.

What is - from my side. It is my needs as developer of fidoslax project. And of course I am interesting that many new developers - comes to porteus community.

Pardon, if i was too emotional. I just see porteus goes down. Several years ago where was good start but now it is going to slax. Quite pity.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#41 by Evan » 16 Jun 2017, 08:18

I could be wrong but i get the impression Neko is more interested in Arch than Slackware by the amount of work he does on it.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#42 by francois » 24 Jun 2017, 05:01

Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

General discussion : Porteus alternative package manager

Post#43 by Falcony » 22 Aug 2017, 06:31

n0ctilucient wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 11:26
What is your point of view on hardening Porteus binaries?
(@ least... the toolchain aka "05-devel.xzm")
May be it have a sense for some base modules - which provide shared libraries and linked to many-many network application.
With the exception of Slackware (perhaps a few others)...
most major distros have some form of hardening.

Would'nt "hardening" increase package stability?
Say not stability but performance.
For sure hardering a little bit slow down speed of old x86 binaries - arond 10%-15%. For x86_64 it is not matter but for x86 ( as number register are small and it go to more number context switching).

[quite]
reference...
Buffer overflow protection: PROPOLICE
[/quote]

It make sense. Not may be for all - but for share base network libraries and for sure - binries and modules which provide network services.
For local binaries - which only running local - it is have no sense

So right build option have to be added to some slackbuilds - it have to be reasonable
SELinux it is different matter. IMHO, it is some kind very sharp knife which could damage to you - it concert some distribution which use it.
For Slax/Porteus/FIDOSlax - it is not matter. SElinux use pam but Slackware not.
Patrick utilize right principle - KISS(keep it short and simple) - and not use pam, systemd, etc. That the way we prefer. :)