Do you use LibreOffice?

Non release banter
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: Do you use LibreOffice?

Post#16 by wread » 07 Jun 2017, 14:48

I did use Libreoffice until I found WPS.

The main reason to switch was startup speed. I give my students projects to solve using a spreadsheet; to check their work took very long starting up thirty times, then for each student a startup was necessary to clean up buffers.

And no way to use windows with students...they are all loaded with viruses!

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#17 by Tonio » 07 Jun 2017, 22:21

I used Openoffice and now libreoffice. Have to open *.docx, and *.xls and *.xslx files. I had used abiword and gnumeric but no presentation software. Caligra crashes most of the time, and if could avoid the use I would prefer to not need to use these software.

willieaames
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware

Post#18 by willieaames » 09 Jun 2017, 10:28

I wish LibreOffice would approach designers to make the interface better. Many of the people who I've tried migrating to GNU/Linux have an aversion to it, because "Word looks old". The icons are old, the fonts are crappy, and the UI just feels antiquated.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Distribution: *

Post#19 by Evan » 15 Jun 2017, 13:32

WPS Office for Linux 2016 (Apparently) Released

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/06/wps- ... nux-update
It’s been a bumpy month for Kingsoft, the company which makes the software. Earlier this month it told its Twitter followers that future Linux updates were “on a halt”, and that it planned to open-source the software so that the community could pick up the slack. These tweets were subsequently deleted, with the company blaming blogs and news-sites for making things up.

anajames
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Gentoo Linux

Post#20 by anajames » 20 Jun 2017, 13:42

No not as yet.

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Post#21 by neko » 20 Jun 2017, 14:39

The WPS Office (xzm) module can be gotten by the "getwpsOffice" command that is included in "spm-17.06.10-noarch-1s.xzm".
(current WPS Office version: 10.1.0.5707-a21)

Refer to http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... f34#p36687

About "getwpsOffice", refer to the last command in the article
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... f34#p36688

Thanks.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#22 by Evan » 25 Jun 2017, 00:42

Nearly forgot to mention while reading user reviews about Deepin some users had the same concerns about a backdoor in kingsoft wps office as that is also based in China and why would that be exempt from the law?

:unknown:

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Post#23 by neko » 26 Jun 2017, 11:17

@Evan
I will hide "getwpsOffice" commnad that gets "WPS Office".
Thank you for your warning.

Thanks.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#24 by Evan » 26 Jun 2017, 12:08

I'm not sure what to make of it all Neko.

It's just user opinions that i've read at the bottom of reviews that people now seem to be suspicious of anything based in China after this new government Backdoor law, It does spoil things with not knowing if anything from China can be trusted now or in the future.

Even though a lot of Linux programs are open source for people to review it doesn't mean people can easily find anything as it might not be as obvious as leaving a network port open especially if it's a Heatbleed type exploit like they found in OpenSLL as that took two years to find and people look at that code everyday.

I'm not trying to scaremonger but i thought i had better say something.. :(

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#25 by Ed_P » 26 Jun 2017, 14:41

Evan wrote:I'm not trying to scaremonger but i thought i had better say something.. :(
It sure sounds like you are. If you're that concerned about China stop buying products made in China. Cars, clothes, appliances, dog food, etc. And just because a law is made does not mean everything in existence will suddenly be converted to it.
Ed

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#26 by Evan » 26 Jun 2017, 22:37

Ed_P wrote:
Evan wrote:I'm not trying to scaremonger but i thought i had better say something.. :(
It sure sounds like you are. If you're that concerned about China stop buying products made in China. Cars, clothes, appliances, dog food, etc. And just because a law is made does not mean everything in existence will suddenly be converted to it.
If you have the idea that it's my personal attempt at scaremongering then feel free to remove my posts trying to convey what other people are saying in user comments ( which i pointed out were user comments ) of what is being posted on the world News that i linked to?

No one is telepathic and a no one can make their own decision unless someone posts information and by removing my posts you can then be responsible for people staying pig fucking ignorant?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#27 by Ed_P » 26 Jun 2017, 23:32

Evan wrote: no one can make their own decision unless someone posts information
And I find people who add nothing to the forum but innuendo, rumors and gossip, not information, to be annoying pigs. If you're concerned about a backdoor, develop a version that doesn't have it rather than worry a major contributor.
Ed

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#28 by Evan » 27 Jun 2017, 00:02

Ed_P wrote:
Evan wrote: no one can make their own decision unless someone posts information
And I find people who add nothing to the forum but innuendo, rumors and gossip, not information, to be annoying pigs. If you're concerned about a backdoor, develop a version that doesn't have it rather than worry a major contributor.
Just a few factual hits from 600,000 results at Google news sites that Ed_p thinks are innuendo, rumors and gossip and not information. Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31729305
https://arstechnica.co.uk/security/2016 ... of-phones/
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-an ... r-drivers/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/0 ... or_claims/

And Ed_p wants to think on Neko's behalf and keep him ignorant of information he can read himself and decide , and i'm somewhat dumbfounded why Ed_p thinks this information is solely for Neko Image

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#29 by Ed_P » 27 Jun 2017, 04:06

This why expressing opinions on neko's threads is a bad idea.
neko wrote:I am not native English speaker.
And I have a poor English skill only. (using Google translator)
I am afraid that my real thinking is accepted by you or not.

It is difficult for me to discuss with English.
Evan wrote:]Just a few factual hits from 600,000 results at Google news sites
How many have you actually read?
'Paranoid espionage'

President Obama's comments had followed the publication of a fresh draft of the proposed law, which was made public last week.

It "would essentially force all foreign companies, including US companies, to turn over to the Chinese government mechanisms where they can snoop and keep track of all the users of those services", the US leader said.

"As you might imagine tech companies are not going to be willing to do that," he added.

Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle and IBM are among firms that would potentially be affected.
OLD "news" and none mentioning Linux desktops.

If you wish to believe these things that's your prerogative, but writing that they are facts is misleading especially to someone like neko, and he is not the only member who's native tongue is not English.
Ed

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Post#30 by fulalas » 27 Jun 2017, 04:29

@Ed_P, don't you think you're being a little bit harsh? Relax, man :)