Windows 10 is bringing ads to File Explorer

Non release banter
fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Windows 10 is bringing ads to File Explorer

Post#1 by fulalas » 10 Mar 2017, 22:59

That's one of the reasons I love Linux :)

https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/03/10/ ... w_jKVJ31qK

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Windows 10 is bringing ads to File Explorer

Post#2 by Ed_P » 10 Mar 2017, 23:48

Everyone is bringing ads to the Internet are you going to avoid it too? :D
Ed

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#3 by fulalas » 11 Mar 2017, 01:52

I understand your point, but I think that a banner on the top or bottom of a website is different from ads beside your personal files. Anyway, most internet ads are too invasive for my taste, and I do whatever it takes to block them. The problem with Windows 10 now is even worst considering the complete lack of privacy. :(

Take a look:

Microsoft desperately wants to install Windows 10 on pretty much all computers running Windows 7/8/8.1, even though some older hardware is not compatible with Windows 10 due to missing drivers. In certain cases drivers for Windows 10 are buggy and incomplete, which means after upgrading you end up with a broken PC you cannot use or its features don't work like they should.

Microsoft has lost and they now aggressively try to foist/force Windows 10 on unsuspecting users. Oh, it's now official: they will forcefully install it everywhere they can in 2016.

MS says: "We do worry when people are running an operating system that's 10 years old that the next printer they buy isn't going to work well, or they buy a new game, they buy Fallout 4, a very popular game, and it doesn't work on a bunch of older machines. And so, as we are pushing our software vendors and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems".

Microsoft now openly publishes its collected data in regard to Windows 10 users:"Over 44.5 billion minutes spent in Microsoft Edge across Windows 10 devices in just the last month" - we spy on Edge users."Over 82 billion photos viewed within the Windows 10 Photo app" - you're using our Gallery app, right? Great!"Gaming continues to grow on Windows 10 – in 2015, gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10" - we now know what apps you're running and for how long.

Windows 10 spies you and even more so on your children aka phones home (welcome NSA/CIA/thoughtcrime/1984)! Microsoft added spying features to Windows 7/8.1as well (more general list). Microsoft officially admits that automatic spying cannot be disabled in Windows 10.

The official Microsoft guide on Windows 10 telemetry settings contains this beautiful tidbit: "Ability to gather user content, such as documents, if they might have been the trigger for the issue". Now, Microsoft states that user files can be requested only on the "Full" level of telemetry, however you need to bear in mind that this feature is built-in, it's remotely triggered, and it can be used to get any of your data any time they want.

Windows 10 is now a recommended update for all Windows 7/8.1 users unless you're running their Enterprise versions. That means your computer will automatically update to Windows 10 unless you either disable the Windows Update service completely or set Windows updates to the manual mode.

Visual Studio 2015 C++ compiler secretly inserts telemetry code into binaries.

source: https://itvision.altervista.org/why-win ... sucks.html

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Ed_P » 11 Mar 2017, 03:37

fulalas wrote:I think that a banner on the top or bottom of a website is different from ads beside your personal files.
"a" banner? Some of the sites I see have ads at the top, bottom, right side, left side, between paragraphs and pop ups while reading the webpage.
The problem with Windows 10 now is even worst considering the complete lack of privacy. :(
It's a function that a user can enable or disable. No download required. No independent app to install to turn the option off.
Take a look:
Reads like a desperate attempt to get people to read their writing.
Oh, it's now official: they will forcefully install it everywhere they can in 2016.
OK, one less OS they have to maintain. Personally I have a Windows 10 system and I like it. It was an upgrade from Windows 7.
Ed

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#5 by fulalas » 11 Mar 2017, 05:16

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Windows user since the early 90's, and I like it very much until Windows XP -- an era which Linux was not mature yet for a daily desktop user. I started to see big problems when Vista was released, containing endless issues and basically no advantages when compared to XP. So they fixed some critical things and called it Seven, an OK system, but still not a great progress when compared to XP; in fact, if developers hadn't stop to provide XP support, it would continue to be a very reasonable system today -- I used it until last year. But then MS lost their mind and made all these invasive features in Windows 8 and even worst in 10.

I think you didn't read carefully what I quoted: Microsoft officially admits that automatic spying cannot be disabled in Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015 C++ compiler secretly inserts telemetry code into binaries. And regarding ads, a common user probably won't learn how to disable them simply because common users don't have the knowledge and the patience to do it. To be honest, the majority doesn't give a damn because they don't have time and the tools to criticize; they're constantly bombarded with marketing and just want to survive and consume. It doesn't mean that they should suffer the consequences of these abusive practices that big corporations are doing.

I agree with you about these crazy web ads -- let's also remember those ads that love to blink with insane colors just to call our attention. That's why now Opera browser can block them natively; they say that if web ads were not that invasive, Opera wouldn't have to block them. I totally agree. I think we didn't manage to find a reasonable solution for this. Of course internet should be mostly free, but the way it works now is going beyond the common sense. And the scary thing is that it's getting more and more invasive. :( If you have interest (and time!), here's a good insight of how privacy matters: https://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwa ... cy_matters

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 11 Mar 2017, 19:05

fulalas wrote:Don't get me wrong. I'm a Windows user since the early 90's,
I suspected you were a kid. :D

I fell for Windows at 3.0 I think at a conference when I found I could cut and paste with it. Prior to that I was DOS (and prior to that mainframes). Windows for Workgroups was good because of the networking capabilities. I skipped Windows 95 but liked Windows 98. Skipped Windows ME but I liked Windows XP and have a machine that can still boot it upstairs. I skipped Vista, like Windows 7, skipped Windows 8, like Windows 10. Interesting, there seems to be a pattern here. :D
Ed

normalGuy
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.2 xfce archBang

Post#7 by normalGuy » 11 Mar 2017, 19:29

Hi,

What ads like Russian Girls and stuff!!! :oops:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by Ed_P » 11 Mar 2017, 21:33

normalGuy wrote:What ads like Russian Girls and stuff!!!
Rarely. Some connected to things I have searched for. Most I simply ignore so not sure what they cover.
Ed

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#9 by donald » 11 Mar 2017, 21:59

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team