Interesting article about Linux current limitations

Non release banter
fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Interesting article about Linux current limitations

Post#1 by fulalas » 21 Dec 2016, 05:50

Interesting -- and long -- reading: https://itvision.altervista.org/why.lin ... rrent.html

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Interesting article about Linux current limitations

Post#2 by francois » 21 Dec 2016, 12:03

Personally, I do not like proprietary software. Windows, Apple and Google are bad corporative citizens. Apple is BSD based. Personally, I do not care about gaming. Linux demands tweaking for some but porteus provides a quite satisfying experience.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Post#3 by fulalas » 21 Dec 2016, 12:52

I agree with you. I'm coming from Windows -- the system I've been using since my first computer, in 1994. Linux is really new in my life and I'm in love and addicted to it, really. But I think that this can't blind us about the problems, limitations and things to be improved on Linux. After all, having bad OSs* to compete with doesn't mean we're perfect, right? :good:

I personally think that one of the reasons Porteus is good is because brokenman is very down to Earth (look here), dealing very well with Linux's advantages and limitations, being open to dialog and taking reasonable decisions -- something that is lacking on Linux community in general.

*In this same page I found an article about the policies of Windows 8 / 10, and it's simply unbelievable. Take a look at some of them:

Code: Select all

Visual Studio 2015 C++ compiler secretly inserts telemetry code into binaries.

Microsoft desperately wants to install Windows 10 on pretty much all computers running Windows 7/8/8.1, even though some older hardware is not compatible with Windows 10 due to missing drivers. In certain cases drivers for Windows 10 are buggy and incomplete, which means after upgrading you end up with a broken PC you cannot use or its features don't work like they should.

Microsoft has lost and they now aggressively try to foist/force Windows 10 on unsuspecting users. Oh, it's now official: they will forcefully install it everywhere they can in 2016.

MS says: "We do worry when people are running an operating system that's 10 years old that the next printer they buy isn't going to work well, or they buy a new game, they buy Fallout 4, a very popular game, and it doesn't work on a bunch of older machines. And so, as we are pushing our software vendors and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems".

Microsoft now openly publishes its collected data in regard to Windows 10 users:"Over 44.5 billion minutes spent in Microsoft Edge across Windows 10 devices in just the last month" - we spy on Edge users."Over 82 billion photos viewed within the Windows 10 Photo app" - you're using our Gallery app, right? Great!"Gaming continues to grow on Windows 10 – in 2015, gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10" - we now know what apps you're running and for how long.

Windows 10 spies you and even more so on your children aka phones home (welcome NSA/CIA/thoughtcrime/1984)! Microsoft added spying features to Windows 7/8.1as well (more general list). Microsoft officially admits that automatic spying cannot be disabled in Windows 10.

The official Microsoft guide on Windows 10 telemetry settings contains this beautiful tidbit: "Ability to gather user content, such as documents, if they might have been the trigger for the issue". Now, Microsoft states that user files can be requested only on the "Full" level of telemetry, however you need to bear in mind that this feature is built-in, it's remotely triggered, and it can be used to get any of your data any time they want.

Windows 10 is now a recommended update for all Windows 7/8.1 users unless you're running their Enterprise versions. That means your computer will automatically update to Windows 10 unless you either disable the Windows Update service completely or set Windows updates to the manual mode.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#4 by francois » 21 Dec 2016, 16:56

I had no other OS than linux in the past five to ten years. Quite satisfied by the OS, but even more by linux forum solidarity and social experience. Porteus forum is a quite distinctive SWSSSS experience : simple (KISS), warmful, supportive, spontaneous, small (is beautiful) and skillful (could go into IT abysses sometimes).
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#5 by Bogomips » 21 Dec 2016, 19:56

The thing is there is no such thing as a free lunch. :evil: Taking Porteus as example, you get 4 desktops out of the box ready and sufficient for one's basic needs, without any extra investment on one's own part. If one wants more then one has to pay by expending time to adapt/learn and energy visiting the forums and doing searches.

Seems to be a matter of perspective, so if one is in a country where currency not of much value, then time is of much more value than money in the instances where time spent on garnering a high value application will be of much more worth than the same time spent earning the local currency. Equally if one is on a tight budget, and as well does not have much earning power, the time spent to implement a high value application will be well worth the effort. On the ecological front, making an effort to keep slightly outdated hardware performing a useful function, without investing money, but instead investing affordable time.

Lastly, the joy of discovery! It is the satisfaction of not having everything handed to you on a plate, but of doing something for yourself and learning to manipulate stuff:
Vic wrote:I love how Porteus "just works" , but I love more how it is so flexible with my limited knowledge. With a little searching, I am able to solve any problem (challenge) and have more fun than I ever had with Windows.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB