Porteus v1.0 announcement

Non release banter
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Porteus v1.0 announcement

Post#1 by brokenman » 20 Jun 2011, 00:03

Here is the rough writeup. I've posted here because i had to write this in a hurry on a bus. Emergency today and had no computer time. Fanthom please add whatever you feel fit. Ahau please edit if you wish.

Portues v1.0 has finally hit the streets. This light weight, hard hitting, portable linux distro is available in both 32bit and 64bit. While aesthetically it is similar to Porteus v09, there have been vast improvements under the hood, most notably being the change from lzma to lzma2 compression. This superior compression means we have been able to include more features and increase speed while still staying below the 300Mb mark.

Porteus modules now have an .xzm extension and all older modules (.lzm) will need to be converted using the built in conversion options. Installation is easier with Windows users runnings the win_start_here file and linux user running lin_start_here. We have also been included in the linux pendrive universal USB installer so you can boot Porteus directly from the ISO file. Documentation is now extensive and easy to follow (thanks Ahau). The boot scripts have been refined brining you to a working desktop in record tim (thanks Fanthom).

Many new features have also been introduced including a package manager which, while currently in the development stage, should make finding and creating working packages much easier. There are many new cheatcodes so be sure to read the 'cheatcodes.txt' file in the docs folder or on our website.

Here are some of the new features:

Kernel: 2.6.38.8
Userland bumped to Slackware 13.37
initrd is now lzma2 compressed
refined linuxrc

WINDOW MANAGERS
LXDE compiled on slackware 13.75 (thanks Ponce)
KDE-4.6.4 (64bit) Trinity KDE-3.5.12 (32bit)

Other notable features:
-PXE Boot option
-Automatic guest login (use toroot cheatcode for root)
-Updated syslinux & extlinux means you can install on linux partitions and still have a boot menu.
-Option to backup/restore MBR during installation
-Windows UAC will be disabled so users don't get confused
-md5sum check of essential files during installation
-Wicd for internet connection
-Firefox 4
-10 loops are created during boot so mounting of file systems won't fail.
-Magic Folders
-Porteus save.dat manager
-Porteus encryptor
-Updated language selection tool
-Settings Wizard
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: Porteus v1.0 announcement

Post#2 by wread » 20 Jun 2011, 02:02

The seventh line from the bottom I don't understand:

" -10 loops are created during boot so mounting of file systems won't fail.CFLAGS="-Os fPIC -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" ./configure --prefix=/usrs"

-What have the second sentence to do with the first one?

(BTW I tried to configure a source file with that options and gave me an error; so I continued using my old "configure for porteus")

-Are you not going to bump python to 2.6.6 and qt4 to 4.7.0? The HPPrinter modules will do it anyway.

-When you click to home as root you are sent to /home/guest instead. That shouldn't be! :no:

All other things are magnificently worked out. Congratulations, Fine Business, brokenman! :Yahoo!:

Regards!

EDIT: I had forgotten to tell you, my VCL module -works ok with rc1(2.6.38)- cannot decode videos neither in rc2 nor in rc3 (2.6.38-7). IMHO it has to do with the kernel version. If it doesn't work in final, I will try to recompile it again; if it still will not do it, we will have to make an "actualization" à la Gates........Saludos cordiales, wread :Bravo:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 by brokenman » 20 Jun 2011, 13:52

The seventh line from the bottom I don't understand:
Thanks ... i have edited that now. (My clipboard must have pasted there)

BTW I tried to configure a source file with that options and gave me an error; so I continued using my old "configure for porteus"
Yes, that is what i experienced too. Fanthom may include a 'configure-for-porteus' if so i will use his one.

Are you not going to bump python to 2.6.6 and qt4 to 4.7.0? The HPPrinter modules will do it anyway.
Python has been bumped to 2.6 ... Trinity needs qt3 so we will stay with that.

When you click to home as root you are sent to /home/guest instead. That shouldn't be!
Thanks, will fix that now.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#4 by wread » 20 Jun 2011, 16:27

@brokenman
@fanthom
@Ahau
I have an idea to get Porteus to the top, all of a sudden! (after V1.0 final).

1.-We need a game programmer that makes a dominoes program to be played interactively over facebook, etc.
2.-The program will be offered in facebook self as xzm package only, with intructions to download and install it.

Here (I think in the whole world, too) is at present a City-Build-Mania; a similar thing could we obtain with a dominoes game, for sure! 8)

In Brazil they say obrigato!, don't they?

Happy V1.0!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 20 Jun 2011, 16:32

Excellent. Thanks Ahau ... please edit to fix 'and linux user' to 'linux users'. There is a missing link pointing to your cheatcodes doc ... but i can fix that in the announcement when it is made.