Non release banter
Evan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Distribution: *

Re: Poor papyrusOS

Post#31 by Evan » 04 Jun 2016, 14:05

<removed>
Last edited by Evan on 24 Jun 2016, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

fullmoonremix

Post#32 by fullmoonremix » 04 Jun 2016, 14:26

Salutations... :good:

I don't make solutions... I integrate them. :unknown:
After all... why reinvent the wheel?

You are totally correct (yet again). However... most of those desktops have not embraced
" Material Design ". So then follows the need for them to be tweaked by their maintainers accordingly.

That's not to say Google's creation doesn't need tweaking but
then we come full circle back to SVG for scaling flat elements.

"Best Regards"... :beer:

Posted by 73.112.19.226 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#33 by brokenman » 04 Jun 2016, 21:35

If you don't have HiDPI support then you can't look at anything on your display that does not adopt this wonderful "Material Design" concept or at least contain scalable elements. So that means you can't look at 90% of anything. Especially the old stuff. As you say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Well here we have something broken that needs to be fixed if you want to adopt newer technology.

This saying, "Re-inventing the wheel" always amuses me. Nobody is reinventing any wheels here. The wheels are slowly evolving. There's a huge difference between reinventing and evolving. Just as you can't fit a 1920s wheel on a 2016 model car, older elements just don't cut it at HiDPI. The difference is that the evolution of vehicles moves at a snail's pace (consider the combustion engine or rubber tyres) whereas computing hardware moves at a blistering perpetual velocity.

A UI developer's work is never done.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fullmoonremix

Post#34 by fullmoonremix » 04 Jun 2016, 22:14

"Reinvent the wheel" (in context) was in response to the (sarcastic?) statement about me "having solutions"
thus was it given to explain MY workflow which is to integrate NOT create that which already exists.
The phrase that best explains my workflow strategy is... "I'm not a trendsetter... I just make trends better". 8)

HiDPI support is required to correctly display full screen non-mainstream 2160p content
on displays which support it. Also to allow higher resolution on mobile devices.

That standard however... is backwards compatible otherwise it would end up like Betamax . It wasn't created to throw everything else under the bus.
However... like any new technology you can't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Plug-in-play is proof-of-concept on beta gear. So there will be tweaking.

Again... trust me by years end I will have one of these toys to add to my collection. So... as always my focus is NOT opposition it's integration
(I'm agnostic... "Six of one half dozen of the other" and to each his own). So for me it's all about integrating alternatives instead of one size fits all.

Today it's HiDPI tomorrow it's Smell-a-Vision. The point being made is "Moore" ( Moore's law ) is not the ONLY game in town. It's a big tent and there's
room for everybody. I've lost track of how many times I ran out to buy the next "big thing" only for it to end up in my bone yard of of high expectations.

All this "sizzle" should be taken taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure there's some startup
out there that's working on the next generation word processor that requires a cluster.

Not for nothing... we put man on the moon with technology that would fit into today's calculators. That's why
my favorite spacecraft in Star Wars was the " Millennium Falcon " because it was low tech but HIGH performance.

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 05 Jun 2016, 13:38, edited 9 times in total.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#35 by Evan » 04 Jun 2016, 22:41

<removed>
Last edited by Evan on 24 Jun 2016, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#36 by brokenman » 05 Jun 2016, 01:49

trust me by years end I will have one of these toys to add to my collection
Yes. Me too. Then I'll need a bigger desk too.

Back on point, I sure hope papyrusOS gets moving. I've been meaning to try to put it together but haven't had the time and figured I'd wait until it at least reaches beta.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fullmoonremix

Post#37 by fullmoonremix » 05 Jun 2016, 02:01

I think I will need a bigger man cave. :wall: I'm already using a 60". The papyrOS
project looks like a winner. Maybe they'll be back on track by the end of summer.

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 05 Jun 2016, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#38 by Evan » 05 Jun 2016, 02:31

<removed>
Last edited by Evan on 24 Jun 2016, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

fullmoonremix

Post#39 by fullmoonremix » 05 Jun 2016, 02:42

It's in the AUR... I wonder if anyone has taken this on a drive around the block with Nemesis?

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 05 Jun 2016, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.