Release date in stone yet?

Non release banter
agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Release date in stone yet?

Post#1 by agreimann » 03 Jun 2011, 00:47

Guys,

Do we have a definite release date or something near one? :D Honestly can't wait for when we quit using the alphas and get the real Porteus going! It'll honestly be exciting to have something that can fight Ubuntu releases nicely... :)

With an installer by Blaze and brokenman for different platforms, and a new welcome box, I'm feeling confident now... :D

-- Andrew

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Release date in stone yet?

Post#2 by fanthom » 03 Jun 2011, 01:00

We dont have exac date yet. Everything is ready for 1.0 (kernel, userland). Some small bugs are still present but they are acceptable and can be corrected in Porteus 1.1

The main focus now is on a Porteus-Package-Manager. I'm using it now and looks really cool :)
Once this task is finished 1.0 is out.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by agreimann » 04 Jun 2011, 18:38

I narrowed down bugs I've encountered to a flash drive. ;)

Are you still planning on recompiling the kernel?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 05 Jun 2011, 07:01

no - i went through 'power management' doc on gentoo site and our kernel config looks ok.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#5 by agreimann » 05 Jun 2011, 07:44

That's great news! When you mentioned re-compiling the kernel, you had me a bit worried, as that would have set us all back a bit. :D

I'm ready to release Porteus Settings Assistant in an alpha stage--so that means that we are ever closer to releasing 1.0.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 07 Jun 2011, 00:05

Eerm .. no fanthom can whip up a kernel in a couple of minutes (notwithstanding kernel compile). I believe the holdup is me !!! I is a little sloow. :crazy:
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

bradmbrown
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by bradmbrown » 15 Jun 2011, 13:54

Version 1 would be so cool! I have spent a fortune on CDs in the past few weeks, hopping from one rc to the next :D
Seriously, bugs are fun for many of us Linux Lovers, eh? :ROFL: Not horrifying ones that prevent us from using our left sides or make everything smell like pears.... but, uh, you know what I mean, hehe.
RCx's bugs are so subtle and tiny that I can hardly get a grasp on them in order to describe them, I don't know if they are because of the IBK, or if in fact, they are bugs, or if in fact, the porteus is already a God-like effort and a world saver......

If I had any friends who weren't walking dead I would show this off, but most people can hardly handle thinking outside the MSZombie box.
[I do not use MS OSes as my desktop OS, and haven't since Slackware 95/Redhat2 - no, really! - ah those were the days when men were men and sheep were afraid.... sorry, British Commonwealth Legacy Humour, Canucks and Anzacs and Brits know the value of sheep jokes]
it is possible to have an asymptomatic disease, like asymptomatic Hepatitis C. But it is not possible, even in principle, to have asymptomatic ADHD.