FileManager display of volumes

Non release banter
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

FileManager display of volumes

Post#1 by Jack » 13 Jan 2016, 03:25

This is bugging me for a log time now on the left side of my monitor you have (Computer, guest's home, Trash 4gb Volume, 105gb Volume and 160gb Volume) this is my Compaq CQ50 laptop.

Now here is the question one time when I boot up I see all the Volume mounted then the next time I boot up one Volume is missing. Then if I boot up again it could be another Volume missing or I could see them all. Can this be fix or not?

aus9 (mod) has changed subject to attempt to give it a better subject name
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Re: Can this be fix or not

Post#2 by roadie » 13 Jan 2016, 03:46

What part of it do you want to fix?

Are the volumes all on one hard drive, or do you use a USB stick? Porteus mounts whatever it finds on boot, though there is a cheatcode to stop automounting.....I think it's 'noauto'....could be 'nohd'

Do you want to see all the volumes, or none? In Mate, you can have no icons on the Desktop, but the solution leaves something to be desired.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Jack » 13 Jan 2016, 04:01

I like to see all the Volume's. The 4gb is Porteus my boot USB thumb drive and the 105mb and 160gb is my Windows 7 Hard Drive. I thought there might be away to give it more boot time to see everything or mount everything. This is just a thought.

Then if I put a CD in the DVD writer it will mount it and it dose show up and when I remove the CD the icon goes away like it should.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#4 by roadie » 13 Jan 2016, 04:10

Well, the USB will always show as thats what you're booting from and Porteus doesn't need additional time to find hard drives or partitions, at least I've never noticed that.

I have no idea why sometimes the partitions will not show up.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Jack » 13 Jan 2016, 04:20

This time when I booted up my 4gb Porteus boot thumb drive icon is not there and the last time I booted up it was my 160gb icon was missing.

So if there is no fix I will have to live with it.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Jack » 13 Jan 2016, 13:23

I booted up today and all icon are there this time. I just understand why it does that.