32bit or 64bit but Don't Understand

Non release banter
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

32bit or 64bit but Don't Understand

Post#1 by Jack » 30 Dec 2015, 23:08

I have a Compaq CQ50-217nr laptop. I went to a friend home and we built 2 USB Sticks one with "Porteus-MATE-v3.1-x86_64.iso" and the other with "porteus-nemesis-v3.4-x86_64.iso" to try it on that Server I have. When I got home I started my Laptop but when inserted the thumb stick I put the wrong usb stick in it. I put the 64bit version of "Porteus-MATE-v3.1-x86_64.iso" and it booted up and so far with no problem that I can see in fact it seem to be working better. And I try the other one we made and it did the same thing. My question is should it be working or could my laptop be a 64bit computer?
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Re: 32bit or 64bit but Don't Understand

Post#2 by beny » 30 Dec 2015, 23:12

hi if your laptop have a dual core cpu you can run the 64 bit version...and i think you have one?

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Jack » 30 Dec 2015, 23:57

You are right it has a Dual Core Core CPU. It is a "AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62". I could have been running 64bit all the time and didn't know it. Now I test both bokenman and neko of Nemesis.

I will try this annd I forgot I had it. I know it is old but it looks brand new "HP Pavilion Media Center m8200n - Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 GHz" AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ / 3 GHz. What do you think about it?

Here is a link with specs. http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilio ... -gb/specs/
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#4 by beny » 31 Dec 2015, 01:15

hi with a 64 bit system you have a better speed you can build software with a multiple tread,well the link posted, the computer is very old have the sata 1.5 not so fast if you consider the last is sata 3 with a ssd you can fly, the memory ddr2, do not have the video card and i think is expensive if the price tagged is right you can choose something different, imho if you do not have problem with the brand take a look at amazon.com

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Jack » 31 Dec 2015, 20:10

On my Laptop Compaq CQ50-217nr. I just can't believe how much faster it is running by switch to the 64bit version. I learn something new everyday. For some reason I don't need ":nVidia-304.123-porteus-v3.1-x86_64-1ftm.xzm" any more. I still need to do more testing on Nemesis but I will let everyone know..

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Jack » 31 Dec 2015, 20:25

beny wrote:hi with a 64 bit system you have a better speed you can build software with a multiple tread,well the link posted, the computer is very old have the sata 1.5 not so fast if you consider the last is sata 3 with a ssd you can fly, the memory ddr2, do not have the video card and i think is expensive if the price tagged is right you can choose something different, imho if you do not have problem with the brand take a look at amazon.com
I'm going to try and sell it to someone or trade it.

I did buy a USB 3.0 and it will with USB 2.0. I wanted a new 32gb and Walmart wanted $12.95 for a 32gb USB 2.0 or $19.95 for a 32gb USB 3.0 so I got it then when I went to pay for it the price was only $14.95 so it was the better deal. The reason for the one I got was if I get a new computer I'm going to buy one with USB 3.0.

aus9

Post#7 by aus9 » 02 Jan 2016, 07:44

We are a friendly forum so before you hand over your money post in general chat your "potential" new specs and we can give advice.

I will start off with theme of 32 versus 64 bit

RAM if its less than 3G go 32 bit
its more than 3G go 64 bit so you can use all of it as 32 bit can only go up to 3G
at exactly 3G which is what you have....you are in the land of luxury and can try out both.

Beware that if ISP has bandwith caps on your uploads and downloads....true for most aussies.....choose 32 bit as they tend to be smaller than the same package as 64 bit

As RAM comes out on some mobos as paired kits you will soon realize that 2x 2G is better than one 4G stick of RAM.
also your current device says shared memory.....meaning its crap umm meaning it has to reserve some RAM as your graphics card as none

If you buy a tower that is less a problem because you just buy a video card with its own ram here is a link only as an example
https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?In ... mId=620520
2GB DDR3 DVI HDMI VGA
so it has its own Ram rated as ddr3 with video outlets of dvi hdmi and vga

I hope I don't start a flame war but personally I prefer nVidia over ATI.

If you buy a tower spend as much as you can on the motherboard RAM and video card. by going for a big mobo company there is a greater chance they will offer bios updates and honour warranty.

USB 3 is not so important to me but YMMV