Install Porteus as only OS on laptop

Non release banter
joutlan
White ninja
White ninja

Install Porteus as only OS on laptop

Post#1 by joutlan » 08 May 2011, 22:34

I have used Slackware in past and like it, which I why I'm interested in Porteus. I'm also a big KDE4 fan, and I've never used Slax. If I want to install Porteus as the sole OS on my laptop, the partitions are already laid out, how would I go about that? The installer discussion confused me a little. I assumed it probably installed similar to ZenWalk. Have an install guide link? I read the FAQ and looked around a bit but didn't see anything.

thanks...this is my second post here :D
DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": //W7P x64/Scientific Linux 6 x64
DΞLL Vostro 1220 "12 inch NB" : //Scientific Linux 6 x64 w/ 60gb Win7P x32 Virtual Machine
http://scientificlinuxforum.org

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Install Porteus as only OS on laptop

Post#2 by Ahau » 09 May 2011, 01:33

Welcome!!

What version are you trying to install? V0.9, or V1.0?

You'll want to perform a 'frugal' install, meaning you will copy the porteus data (/boot and /porteus folders from the .iso image) to the partition you are looking to boot from. Then you need to install a bootloader or point your existing bootloader to the porteus kernel and data, take a look at /boot/porteus.cfg.

If you don't have a bootloader already installed, then we'll need to know the version of porteus you're installing and what filesystem your hard drive is formatted to.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

joutlan
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by joutlan » 09 May 2011, 02:56

It would be version 1.0 x64. Are you guys working on an installer? Such a nice job pity with no installer. Thanks!

EDIT: I use Scientific Linux 6 as my main distro (for business and home use both), and actually am an administrator of the SL Forum (in sig); however I have a second laptop that I'd like to try this on. I've always had soft spot for Slackware based distros :)

Nice job!
DΞLL Vostro 1220 "12 inch NB" : //Scientific Linux 6 x64 w/ 60gb Win7P x32 Virtual Machine

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#4 by Ahau » 09 May 2011, 06:57

Yes, we have an installer. We built a new one for version 1.0, which is why I asked what version you're using. I wanted to point you to the right place.

Assuming you're using the spakin-new RC2 of V1.0, the installer is located at /boot/lin_start_here.sh. So, to install, you need to copy the data from the porteus .iso (/boot/ and /porteus/ directories) to the root of the partition to which you are installing porteus (e.g. sda1). Then, navigate to /mnt/sda1/boot/ and execute the install script (./lin_start_here.sh). This script will provide an option for installing a bootloader, either for an EXT, FAT, or linux partition.

Because porteus is designed to run from compressed modules, there is no 'installation' in the typical sense. You just copy the folders to your drive and install the bootloader to that drives' MBR using the installation script. If you don't have an OS already running on that machine, you can burn the porteus .iso to a CD (or install it to a flash drive) and boot from that, then copy the files from that CD to the harddrive and execute lin_start_here.sh.

There's more information in the installation guide, which you can read by pressing 3 at the lin_start_here.sh menu, or you can open it directly, from /boot/docs/install.txt, inside the porteus iso. That document will be posted to our main website when we release the final version of version 1.0. I imagine installation would not be very easy if you were reading the install docs for Version 0.9 and trying to get V1.0 up and running.

I hope this helps -- if not, let us know.

Thanks!

joutlan
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by joutlan » 09 May 2011, 17:47

Thank you very much for the info, Ahau! I'm good to go then! I'll do an install after I get some work done today.

C ya around the forums!

john

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#6 by Hamza » 09 May 2011, 17:50

@joutlan
You're welcome! :)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#7 by brokenman » 09 May 2011, 23:58

Can someone take care of the difficulty in finding an install guide please?

The front of the website has to very large buttons - 'download it' & 'install it' - perhaps the HD install can be added there along with the docs section. Thanks.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#8 by Ahau » 10 May 2011, 01:24

@Hamza, I'll post the installguide to the main site tonight, with a note saying that it's for V1 and not V09 (with a link to the install page for V09). Once I have that up, would you please make a button for the main page, linking to this doc?

Thanks!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#9 by Hamza » 10 May 2011, 04:55

@Ahau,

No problem! :)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#10 by Ahau » 10 May 2011, 06:08

Thanks, Hamza! I see you already have the button!

Here's the link:

http://porteus.org/info/docs/37-install ... -v-10.html

It needs some cleaning up -- the headings came out different sizes than I thought they would, and the code blocks overlap each other in a very annoying way...

But, it's there, and you can point your button to it. I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Thanks!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#11 by Hamza » 10 May 2011, 06:11

I'll post the link on the front page.
NjVFQzY2Rg==