Abiword = 315 MB ?

Non release banter
sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Abiword = 315 MB ?

Post#1 by sean » 06 Jul 2014, 14:25

I'm working on a usb stick for a friend. Using Porteus 3 LXDE 32 bit. Have updated USM and all databases therein. In trying to install Abiword the search returned 3 package options (slacky, salix, and ponce) in varying sizes. The search also returned an Abiword-docs pkg. I selected the pkg from ponce.

In a short time a window titled "Processing" popped up telling me that "more than one package contained "libdb-4.4-so" and listed 2 or more different packages. I selected the top on and clicked the OK button in the bottom right hand corner of the window. Processing continued for a few seconds until another "Processing" window popped up telling me the same situation for "libgnutls.so.28. This continued for several minutes until a total of 9 of those windows popped up, each with a different package listing for the more than one package contains (problem I suppose).

Finally that activity stopped and I waited for a minute or so until another window popped up titled "Menu:" saying:
The following packages are required. Total size 315 MB. Deselect any package you do not want and click Download. There were well over 40 packages listed.

Can this possibly be correct? I can't believe Abiword is 315 MB.

Sean

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Abiword = 315 MB ?

Post#2 by sean » 07 Jul 2014, 02:56

Please allow me to reply to myself :-)

It occurred to me that my initial post in this thread may be misinterpreted as being facetious or ill intended. It most certainly was not posted to be taken that way.

I was indeed making a Porteus flash drive for a friend, and I was downloading some packages via the USM when I simply decided to see if I could get Abiword via that avenue. And what I posted was the result of that effort. I should not have tried to get the package that way, but I also felt the results I was getting was a bit out of line and misleading, to anyone not in the know about Porteus.

However, since I don't always have time to keep up with the latest Porteus, and it had been a couple of months since I downloaded an .iso file, I actually had to stop for a few minutes and think about how I was going to get Abiword, and remember how I had gotten it myself in March.

I had noticed, after I made the above post, that Bogomips had a new thread concerning "Contribution: New User Feedback Requested", where he describes some of his own frustrations in finding some certain subject matter.

As I was still contemplating finding the .xzm file of Abiword necessary for completing my friend's Porteus installation, I remembered there was a Porteus repository on the ponce.cc site. I googled that, found the .xzm file I needed and completed my work. As soon as I was finished I visited the forum and the main website looking for a link to the Porteus repository where one could download .xzm files.

Neither the website or the forum actually mention "Get Porteus", I know I'm playing with words here, but most distro's are just a little more intuitive in showing visitors how to get the distro. In addition on the main site "Download" takes users to the Wizard. On the forum; "Would you like a unique Porteus ISO, built for and designed by you? Go here !!" also takes users to the Wizard. Only by selecting "PORTEUS V3.0 RELEASED!" on the website will one be taken to the announcement where "all" the download options are offered. Again, I realize it's a bit of a play on wording, but "PORTEUS V3.0 RELEASED!" doesn't mention "getting Porteus". It looks like, and is, an announcement, and most all announcements contain links to obtain the distribution. It does exactly what it says, that's good. The release announcement is then again repeated on the forum, al beit not outstanding.

I believe there are many user/members who like to work with the Porteus.iso files when a new distro is released, I am one of those.

I would suggest that both the forum & website include a link titled "Get Porteus" taking the user to a page offering:
The complete original "Release Announcement" along with any edits.

Finally, is there some way to clearly show a link to the Porteus Repository on the ponce.cc server on both the home website page and the forum index?

Sean
PS - Moderator - should you find this material better suited to Bogomips' Contribution: New User Feedback Request thread under "General"/"General chat", please move it there.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 07 Jul 2014, 03:14

sean wrote:Finally, is there some way to clearly show a link to the Porteus Repository on the ponce.cc server on both the home website page and the forum index?
Image When I find useful links, such as the http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/current/ one, I bookmark them so they are easier for me to find the next time I'm looking.
Ed

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by sean » 07 Jul 2014, 16:47

@ Ed_P,

Agreed, I did do that when I got the abiword.xzm from ponce.cc yesterday. Thanks for mentioning the idea here.

Sean

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 07 Jul 2014, 20:28

wizard is newbie friendly so its exposed the most.
it also contains a link to standalone ISOs/modules for those who wants to download things manually:
NOTE : Standalone ISOs/modules can be downloaded from dl.porteus.org
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by sean » 08 Jul 2014, 00:27

Thank you fanthom,

I have made note of your note, that is nice to know.

Sean