Porteus donations - thank you for your support!

Non release banter
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Porteus donations - thank you for your support!

Post#1 by fanthom » 18 Feb 2013, 18:49

Hi Everyone,

The Porteus Development Team would like to extend our heartfelt thanks and gratitude to those who have made donations to our project.
Knowing that our little distro is useful and being enjoyed is what keeps us going in our quest to continually improve it and keep it available.

As mentioned in announcement of Porteus-2.0-rc1, we have a new page on our website for users to make financial contributions to porteus.org, and you can see our list of donors here:
donations
A special thanks to our first donors in 2013: Enrique Baraibar, Jean Chevalier, James Wiening and Gavin Mahan.

When making a donation, note that if you would like your website and/or country to be displayed, please write it in the Paypal donation message or on this thread. Those who wish to remain anonymous or hide the amount of money can indicate that as well.

We're also greatful for everyone who contributes to the community in other ways, such as testing, helping other users on the forum, creating and maintaining modules, hosting and mirroring data and spreading the word about Porteus!
Porteus would not exist without your efforts, so thank you!

Feel free to use this thread to give us feedback and tell us why you've made a donation. Also, let us know if you have any ideas for how to support this project in ways other than direct financial donations through Paypal.

Sincerely,
Porteus Team
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

godzilla
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus2.0/XFCE-64bit

Re: Porteus donations - thank you for your support!

Post#2 by godzilla » 20 Feb 2013, 15:54

I would have suggested placing some non intrusive advertisements on Porteus website, just like DistroWatch has, this has the potential to generate consistent income, as opposed to one off donations, with Porteus being the default webpage in the browser distribution every new user visits the site, but due to FlashBlock being on by default in the browser the adverts would be blocked, so that route is out of the question.

Another idea is to struck a deal with a search provider, I think that Linux Mint has an agreement with DuckDuckGo to share the revenue produced searching, but it all depends on how many users Porteus has, if it is very few some companies might not be bothered because the amount is going to be tiny.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#3 by Hamza » 20 Feb 2013, 16:40

I think that Linux Mint has an agreement with DuckDuckGo to share the revenue produced searching
Porteus has also an agreement with DuckDuckGo.

I would have suggested placing some non intrusive advertisements on Porteus website
Refused by team leaders.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

godzilla
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus2.0/XFCE-64bit

Post#4 by godzilla » 21 Feb 2013, 01:48

Hamza wrote:I think that Linux Mint has an agreement with DuckDuckGo to share the revenue produced searching
Porteus has also an agreement with DuckDuckGo.
I wasn't aware of this, maybe if it were to be written somewhere on the website, like the donations page, Porteus users would be less willing to change the default search engine in Firefox and support Porteus through DuckDuckGo, costing the user nothing and getting very good results in return because I use DDG daily and it always finds what I am searching for with much higher privacy standards than Google.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 21 Feb 2013, 02:25

Searching the forum for duckduckgo brings many hits where i posted about it when we were approached.

I wasn't aware of this, maybe if it were to be written somewhere on the website, like the donations page
Good idea. If you weren't aware then probably many others also aren't. One form of supporting Porteus is to use the duckduckgo search engine. I use it because of the privacy policy. They remind me of google back in the dialup days before they got the idea to conquer the world.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

marytee
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kubuntu

Post#6 by marytee » 02 Mar 2013, 18:47

I am happy to donate to your project--and did so this week. Porteus is a unique distro and deserves some attention. To that end, I plan to review it for the Sunday Morning Linux Review. We always want to give interesting distros some attention.

I have one idea for you. Razorqt does not have a setting to switch mouse buttons yet--at least I have not seen it.They have the Razor Mouse Configurator but it's for themes only, apparently. What I do now is manually add an xmodmap setting to the autostart section of the Razor Session Configurator, which then automatically loads it at boot.

I think it would be great to add a switch mouse buttons capability to the Porteus Settings Centre, under System Settings, maybe add it to the keyboard section. I know we lefties are not that common but it sure would be a helpful setting.

Thanks,

Mary

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 02 Mar 2013, 20:42

Thanks for your feedback. Your contribution and feedback are sincerely and warmly received.
I know we lefties are not that common but it sure would be a helpful setting.
I agree the Razor mouse configuration options are very basic. I will whip up something for the next release to support lefties and hexadactyls, the latter of which we hope to attract a large following.

marytee
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kubuntu

Post#8 by marytee » 03 Mar 2013, 02:14

Thanks! that'd be great for lefties and those others.... :D

Here is what I use: xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

Mary

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#9 by fanthom » 18 Oct 2013, 09:08

just received revenue share from DuckDuckGo (default search engine Porteus) in amount of almost 75$ for the last 10 months.
that's pretty good result and was made thanks to you.

please keep using DuckDuckGo - this way you can care about your privacy and support Porteus :)
http://www.porteus.org/use-duckduckgo.html

Thanks all.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#10 by tome » 30 Oct 2013, 11:56

If someone want support Porteus team can do it with help of mobile browsers and new search engine with entry

Code: Select all

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=porteus&q=+%s
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#11 by francois » 24 Sep 2015, 02:26

An example of financial support (bis).
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Arch, Porteus-Nemesis 3.5

Post#12 by datruche » 12 Jan 2016, 16:09

First (?) humble donator this year

After three months testing, Porteus 3.1 (both the system and community) qualifies as usefull to me: i.e. very if not the most usable modular GNU/Linux distro available. Will reevaluate if I can make it usefull for more than me alone ;)

Also using the duckduckgo search engine most of the time. Does that work for you when searching from the Search and URL fields?

:good:

port
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux porteus 3.2.2 KDE

Post#13 by port » 04 Mar 2016, 11:18

I'm using exclusively DuckDuckGo since the switch to Porteus and I really like it, after knowing DuckDuckGo is supporting Porteus I now use exclusively DuckDuckGo in all my systems ;)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#14 by brokenman » 13 May 2016, 16:55

Well it only really supports Porteus if you see the word porteus in the URL address bar after searching for something. This requires a special file.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#15 by Rava » 24 Aug 2016, 05:47

brokenman wrote:Well it only really supports Porteus if you see the word porteus in the URL address bar after searching for something. This requires a special file.
Now, after years of using ddg you tell me?
Then let's make a HOWTO create that setup.
Cheers!
Yours Rava