Why some theads need to be locked or removed /edited out

Non release banter
bigbass
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: slackware 14

Why some theads need to be locked or removed /edited out

Post#1 by bigbass » 19 Oct 2012, 15:01

I saw a locked thread today that only expressed hate or envy (which is the same thing) by "someone" . While this is open source and there are many different ways to solve a problem . For the record no solution was given by "someone" . Whereas brokenman and fanthom have spent hundreds of hours helping others and coding for Porteus . but the reality is there are many ways to solve a problem
and any well thought out solution with code provided gives us a chance to compare and select what is best for our needs .

Please note If ever defaming and name calling starts there is nothing productive being offered .We must look at what was offered by such individuals see their past record and decide what can they offer to the community

We cant stop people from speaking trash but we can let them eat their own trash
by just refusing to receive it in our lives

It is also a terrible injustice to tolerate this abuse
addressed to any of our respected community members
and good friends

I Personally admire the work done by fanthom and brokenman
I feel sorry for "someone" who envies
that is an unhealthy emotion that consumes the life of the the person

So I agree to editing out garbage that derails the forum topic
question

*someone isn't named here or implied to be someone
so no use of this persons name was used
I do hope that someone learns how to admire the good qualities that people have and focus on that and live happily and in peace with others

Joe

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Why some theads need to be locked or removed /edited out

Post#2 by francois » 20 Oct 2012, 12:14

This happens when there is too much heat or emotionality in the exchanges. It is sad that things have to come up to there, but it seems that it is part of human nature. It contrast with the brothership that we find on the porteus forum.

Personnally, I prefer thread locking to thread removal. This way people could acknowledge what type of exchange are acceptable or not on the forum according to the adminitrative board. This is better than arbitrary and complete censorship.

I did appreciate in the example you refer to. I do not have any modesty to refer to persons in my writings. The way fanthom has manage the situation, asking for a problem solving attitude rather than resorting to blame or to insults., was next to the state of the art. It seems that pizarro was too much in the heat to calm down.

It is a shame that we loose forum members following such exchanges. I hope that spirits will calm down. Modesty sometimes has better taste. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

bigbass
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: slackware 14

Post#3 by bigbass » 20 Oct 2012, 15:00

francois
Personally, I prefer thread locking to thread removal. This way people could acknowledge what type of exchange are acceptable or not on the forum according to the administrative board. This is better than arbitrary and complete censorship.
I agree we should leave "just one" as a reminder though ...
I have also seen a whole website go down for this type of behavior spinning out of control
so there is a limit to what we allow to be public and what goes to the trash bin

I just wanted to have another thread with the original question and then the answer
that is needed by the user and have it marked solved
so if we need to find this question again we don't have to read through the whole thread

Joe
Last edited by bigbass on 20 Oct 2012, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#4 by francois » 20 Oct 2012, 15:14

Nice to you. The person who asked the question has the right to get some answer. :)

Having threads with difference of opinions has not only negative aspect, it could also have positive aspects. Debate is good for renewing and pushing further one's argumentation. However, to be constructive it has to be within certain limits in terms of vocabulary and strenght of expression. :twisted:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#5 by Hamza » 20 Oct 2012, 16:15

We're in a world where we can overtake some rules like offtopic if this doesn't go so far. This is the main why some people doesn't respect all rules. They don't have what some other people have. The common sense. Most of time, all problems are mainly related to a difference of point of view or even a stupid misunderstood.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#6 by wread » 21 Oct 2012, 22:11

@Hamza,
You belong to the judicial power of this forum, and I am glad we have control over explosive reactions of our members (including myself) . Thank you, Hamza :Yahoo!:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#7 by Hamza » 22 Oct 2012, 16:43

@wread,

You're welcome, Thanks :)
NjVFQzY2Rg==