Look and feel: making porteus a trendy distribution

Non release banter
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Look and feel: making porteus a trendy distribution

Post#1 by francois » 11 Apr 2012, 01:38

A discussion to make porteus even more popular could be made on the basis of the characteristics these other linux distributions that you like most.

What are these characteristics of your favorite distribution that you like most (else than porteus)? Why do you like it?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Look and feel: making porteus a trendy distribution

Post#2 by brokenman » 22 Apr 2012, 18:30

I think a nice iconset, nice style or window decoration, and easy to navigate gui are imperative. Apart from that I think stability is most important. it has to look sexy and work. for linux this comes down to window managers. while I am not a mac user I think they win on aesthetics hands down.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 22 Apr 2012, 18:32

I think a nice iconset, nice style or window decoration, and easy to navigate gui are imperative. Apart from that I think stability is most important. it has to look sexy and work. for linux this comes down to window managers. while I am not a mac user I think they win on aesthetics hands down.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by francois » 30 Apr 2012, 23:43

It is said to be based on openbsd or bsd.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#5 by Tonio » 01 May 2012, 21:02

francois wrote:It is said to be based on openbsd or bsd.
What is based on openbsd? or bsd?

I am wondering here. I see nice icons and other criteria, but which distribution, or bsd variant is the one that is a trendy distribution. I apologize Francios, but I don't get the point :(

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by francois » 02 May 2012, 19:49

You are right Tonio. Maybe I should have wrote that MAC is so solid now because it has been built on BSD 4.3 or is a unix derivative:
History of OS X

To stay on topic: nice and trendy: I imagine that I have played around as you must have and others, with other linux distributions . And there are good ideas out there.

To make a distribution NICE you need to find someone specialized in design: icons, logo,wallpaper and maybe many other different features could be improved by someone coming from design discipline. But also those playing a lot with the OS could have some good ideas. Having a nice product is not enough, you also have to provide a good service. And this the linux community usually provides that, at least in some forums where people refrain to use the expression RTFM.

Recently, I came across a nice OS: crunchbang, it comes with openbox and tint2, see this wonderfull review:
http://landorsplace.org/2011/04/18/it-d ... runchbang/

The philosophy seems to be simple and fast and it is actually simple and fast. I think that it could be an inspiration for porteus. And in fact, looking at any simple and fast and trendy distribution that is at the top of distrowatch could be inspiring.

What we potentially have is the package management with module. Modules are simple to install. If brokenman could get PPM, and I think he is really next to target, this could make packaging revolutionnary. At least simpler than apt-get. But for now with a simple click on submenus packages could be installed as modules on the basic porteus. Crunchbang is recognised amongst other for its very simple and straightforward menu, see:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1183 ... 9613794689

kde, lxdm, xfce are fine for porteus. The organisation of menus, the simplicity to get the most popular packages to the laymen as provided by crunchbang is very interesting. For sure the standard wallpaper is not most appealing, but this could be changed.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by francois » 02 May 2012, 19:54

You are right Tonio. Maybe I should have wrote that MAC is so solid now because it has been built on BSD 4.3 or is a unix derivative:
History of OS X

To stay on topic: nice and trendy: I imagine that I have played around as you must have and others, with other linux distributions . And there are good ideas out there.

To make a distribution NICE you need to find someone specialized in design: icons, logo,wallpaper and maybe many other different features could be improved by someone coming from design discipline. But also those playing a lot with the OS could have some good ideas. Having a nice product is not enough, you also have to provide a good service. And this the linux community usually provides that, at least in some forums where people refrain to use the expression RTFM.

Recently, I came across a nice OS: crunchbang, it comes with openbox and tint2, see this wonderfull review:

The philosophy seems to be simple and fast and it is actually simple and fast. I think that it could be an inspiration for porteus. And in fact, looking at any simple and fast and trendy distribution that is at the top of distrowatch could be inspiring.

What we potentially have is the package management with module. Modules are simple to install. If brokenman could get PPM, and I think he is really next to target, this could make packaging revolutionnary. At least simpler than apt-get. But for now with a simple click on submenus packages could be installed as modules on the basic porteus. Crunchbang is recognised amongst other for its very simple and straightforward menu, see:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1183 ... 0137297794

kde, lxdm, xfce are fine for porteus. The organisation of menus, the simplicity to get the most popular packages to the laymen as provided by crunchbang is very interesting. For sure the standard wallpaper is not most appealing, but this could be changed.

Posted after 4 minutes 26 seconds:
But maybe I am not clearly making my point here. The best thing for you would be to read the abovementioned review on crunchbang and to use it a while. :)

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#8 by Tonio » 03 May 2012, 02:18

MAC solid?

Not so more, a virus has hit it and now the big MAC users are upset that their bullet proof OS has been hit just like windows :(

But it was the inspiration for Windows :), it was rock sold and stable, but up until recently(see above)

Now I get your point, but I did not know about which version you were talking about :) I have seen that crunchbag, another one currently at Distrowatch based on arch, maybe archbang, I can't remember for sure.

I believe that porteus has the makings already for the look feel and all the things that are pleasant to the eye. What is hard though, is to tackle too many desktops, i,e, have gnome version, lxde version, kde4, kde3, xfce, openbox, enlightment, ..., etc There are too many desktops out there, each with their advantages, but it is difficult to make each one great in porteus. It is a great deal of work and maybe doing too much?

Just my $0.02.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by francois » 04 May 2012, 10:58

Maybe you are right. One with a few customization could make porteus with any of its desktop environment that trendy distribution that I am talking about. If you do not try crunchbang, just read the nicely written review mentioned above and entitled Crunchbang review: It-doesnt-go-snap-crackle-pop. It-goes-crunchbang:

I would surely love such a review for porteus.

Concerning archbang, exept for the bang at the end, it does not have so much in common with crunchbang.

Personnaly, I think that we can gain and learn at looking at what is going on in the linux distribution world.