Non release banter
Evan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Distribution: *

Porteus gnome-shell 3.24 ?

Post#1 by Evan » 13 Apr 2017, 12:15

<removed>
Last edited by Evan on 07 Apr 2018, 08:56, edited 3 times in total.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Porteus with gnome 3.22 ?

Post#2 by francois » 13 Apr 2017, 21:25

Only systemv and openrc users here. But why wouldn't you be the brave. :wink:

Have a look here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175583475/
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

alienbob
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware

Post#3 by alienbob » 16 Apr 2017, 10:03

If you just want to try Dlackware and systemd (as opposed to adding it to a Porteus ISO), you can download the Dlackware edition of Slackware Live here: http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/slackw ... urrent.iso
It is based on a Slackware64-current version of end January 2017.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by francois » 17 Apr 2017, 19:09

Did you ported it to porteus?

It should be easily installed under nemesis. :twisted:

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 17 Apr 2017, 22:05

francois wrote:It should be easily installed under nemesis.
though not impossible, it would be easier using one of nekos' aporteus isos http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... &start=195
which has and uses systemd...
btw gnome3 doesnt actually need (all of) systemd...
only the logind component, which has been extracted/forked as elogind by some folks: https://github.com/wingo/elogind
much like eudev is udev extracted from systemd..
Evan wrote:The only one thing that annoyed the crap out of me is i couldn't find an obvious way of moving the top bar down to the bottom of the screen.
this is central to the "design philosophy" of gnome devs: "dont mess with our "brand" , man" ...
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#6 by Tonio » 17 Apr 2017, 22:07

Take a look at GuixSD. They have alternate packages thst enable Gnome to work without systemd. They use a package called elogind. Check it out at
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/news/ ... uixsd.html
Hope some slackware users can check it out, and avoid systemd? At their discretion of course. It is a great deal of work, but it can be done!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by francois » 17 Apr 2017, 23:57

Hello Tonio. This is a mighty return on porteus: vous faites feu de tous bois.

Welcome back. :D

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#8 by Evan » 18 Apr 2017, 00:10

@Tonio

Great info again , thanks :)

@francois
francois wrote:Did you ported it to porteus?
I just briefly tried Alien Bobs Gnome Live disk , i'm back on Portues.

@ncmprhnsbl
ncmprhnsbl wrote:
Evan wrote:The only one thing that annoyed the crap out of me is i couldn't find an obvious way of moving the top bar down to the bottom of the screen.
this is central to the "design philosophy" of gnome devs: "dont mess with our "brand" , man" ...
It also annoys the crap out of me when Media Players put the time seek bar and the controls at the top , i've never understood the dyslexic logic that anyone on a desktop would want to keep moving the mouse to the furthest point away from them to get any work done. :)

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#9 by Tonio » 18 Apr 2017, 00:46

francois wrote:Hello Tonio. This is a mighty return on porteus: vous faites feu de tous bois.

Welcome back. :D
Thank you for your kindness. It feels good to be back. I hope the elogind, and other packages can help in getting gnome3 for the users that like it and $(sed -e 's|systemd||g') in its place :) :wink: :Yahoo!:

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#10 by Blaze » 18 Apr 2017, 18:46

alienbob wrote:If you just want to try Dlackware and systemd (as opposed to adding it to a Porteus ISO), you can download the Dlackware edition of Slackware Live here
I tried this Dlackware current iso and I can't to sign in to the system via user ‘root’ (with password ‘root’) and user ‘live’ (with password ‘live’).
When I try to login - Dlackware is skip my login attempt and this goes by around.
Screenshots from TTY:
If I kill Xorg via PID - Xorg is run again :)
BTW. I tried Dlackware edition of Slackware Live in VirtualBox.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#11 by Evan » 18 Apr 2017, 23:51

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/949/bottompanel

I don't know which one is best but apparently you have to use extensions like the one above to customize Gnome 3.

I don't know why Dev's have to make everything so long winded when the average computer user just wants to install, point and click and use it.

Having to go on a wild goose chase to install things for something that should be so simple and having to remember every little detail and configuration every time you do a fresh install is an absolute pain in the ass , They say Linux is free but it's not when you consider the amount of time you waste.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#12 by Evan » 20 Apr 2017, 08:01

WOW :shock:

Solus is now putting out a Gnome version , that just shows how popular it's becoming as the developer of Solus originally worked on Mint and then moved on to his own desktop , Budgie and Brisk.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Re: Porteus with gnome 3.24 ?

Post#13 by Evan » 23 Apr 2017, 09:29

ncmprhnsbl seems to be doing rather well with elogind. :)

:Bravo:

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Re: Porteus with gnome 3.24 ?

Post#14 by Evan » 26 Apr 2017, 01:03

Re: why gnome is so popular?

xenopeek » Owner of Linux Mint forum
I switched to Gnome Shell on my main system almost 3 years ago. I love the polished and distraction free environment. I don't need bells and whistles worth of options and I personally am not missing any functionality when using it or its file manager. I prefer something that stays out of my way and lets me focus on what I'm working on and Gnome Shell fits with that.

Using extensions and Gnome Tweak Tool it can be customized for those users that like tinkering with their system. With extensions you can add things like a dock or move the panel to the bottom and have it list your open windows. During the first two weeks of using it I played around with those kind of extensions as I tried to find my way on Gnome Shell. After two weeks the Gnome Shell workflow clicked for me and I'm only using an extension to hide the legacy icon tray and the one that lets you use the mouse scrollwheel on the panel to move between workspaces. While Gnome Shell has good, if not the best, keyboard accessibility I prefer using the mouse more and I don't need icons cluttering my view.

I also love the way Gnome programs like Gedit, Nautilus and Music look and work; polished, distraction free and with the functionality I need. That is part of the attraction to Gnome Shell for me. These programs also look good on Patheon and Budgie (other shells for Gnome) but having tried both I personally strongly prefer Gnome Shell's workflow.

I also have all the Linux Mint editions installed and Cinnamon is my second most popular desktop environment.
Great advert for Mint when one of the team would rather use Gnome. :D

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Re: Porteus gnome-shell 3.24 ?

Post#15 by Evan » 28 Apr 2017, 22:31

gnome-shell 3.24.1

Package Size: 1.2 MB
Installed Size: 11.7 MB

Anyone roughly know how big gnome-shell is compared to other desktops once you include all the other dependencies so it can be run?