Porteus on a Memory Card

Post tutorials, HOWTO's and other useful resources here.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Porteus on a Memory Card

Post#1 by wread » 03 Nov 2017, 15:36

@all
One can install Porteus in a Memory Card if you have a slot for it in your machine; that way you free the usb port you use to start it.

I formatted my card in one ext4 partition and copied Porteus on it; the boot folder you must copy in a usb fat32 formatted (it can contain other files, too, no need to be exclusive!). To start Porteus I use the cheatcode "from=/dev/mmcblk0d1" in the refind.conf file of the /boot/EFI/BOOT folder of the usb. As soon as it is up and running, I remove the usb stick and have the usb port free!

Alternatively you can burn the boot folder in a CD after you edited the refind.conf file with the mentioned cheatcode. Don't forget to also edit the porteus.conf for the case you are using a non efi machine. :D

Enjoy mmc!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

M. Eerie
Distribution: Nemesis Xfce/MATE x64

Porteus on a Memory Card

Post#2 by M. Eerie » 07 Nov 2017, 17:14

EDIT:

Wonderful, wread. It will be very useful for me. I have a laptop with 1/2 USB 3.0 ports not working, and running Porteus from a pendrive, is occupying the only available fast port. (The other one I use for the mouse).

Should be posible to have it all of it in a sdcard properly partitioned like below?
/boot /EFI --> FAT32
/porteus --> ext4

Thanks! :)

(Sorri Ed_P you are right)
Last edited by M. Eerie on 07 Nov 2017, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
> Does not compute_ 🖖

https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=94310#p94310
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=84002#p84002
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=77174#p77174
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8584

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Porteus on a Memory Card

Post#3 by Ed_P » 07 Nov 2017, 17:22

I think your post needs to be here M. Eerie: Other Languages
Other Languages
You can use your native language for posting in the relevant subforums here. When posting elsewhere on the forums, please use English.
PM the administrator if you would like to request adding a new language subforum.
Ed

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Porteus on a Memory Card

Post#4 by wread » 08 Nov 2017, 01:04

@M.Eerie
Sorry, your bios can only see USB, CD and HD, not yet MMC!, but you can make a startdisk with my iso.

Enjoy!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Porteus on a Memory Card

Post#5 by wread » 16 Mar 2018, 20:15

@all
I have been using a memory card to store Porteus-3.2. To boot it, I stick a USB and type the cheatcode from=/dev/mmcblk0p1.....

Sometimes I forgot to type the cheatcode and the machine also started from mmc! :shock:
How about that! For weeks I thought that was possible only by reboots, when the registers still are keeping old information; but that is not the case :o

And now I have found an explanation: By default Porteus searches the removable devices in a certain fixed order!

My machine has two free usb ports: one usb port on the left side and another on the right side. When I stick the usb on the left socket, I do not need to type the cheatcode! My machine searches removable devices in this order: first usb port on the right side, second mmc port on the front edge and third the usb ports on the left side! (one is the mouse)

Conclusion: If you have a machine with a mmc port, you can use it to store Porteus and boot it with an usb without a cheatcode (the boot usb must contain the correct boot version, of course!).

Only you must test to find out which usb port makes the trick!

What is it good for? Elemental, Watson! When Porteus is up and running, you can umount the boot usb and gain an usb port B)

Enjoy!