[HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post tutorials, HOWTO's and other useful resources here.
User avatar
FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Posts: 83
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586
Location: United Kingdom

[HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#1 by FURRY_NOVA » 28 Sep 2016, 00:28

Intro~
When switching from being a Windows to a Linux user. Either if it's before or after. You'll eventually reach a point were you ask: "Wait. What about my Windows programs? Can I run them on Porteus?" In short answer, yes. But will require a little bit of setting up. This tutorial written to be short and simple for that task.

Requirements~
First. You'll need to download Wine from USM either by GUI or Terminal that'll require 3 dependencies. Although, you can merge them into a single bundle to avoid cluttering your module folder if you wish. The following is the Wine version and dependencies I used for my 32bit build:

Image

Wine Version: wine-1.9.15-i486-1alien
Dependencies: gd-2.2.1-i586-1, libgphoto2-2.5.10-i586-1, openal-soft-1.17.2-i586-2gv
Size: 73.6 mb
Appended Configuration Size: 337.9 mb

Activating the Module~
After downloading. Move the module to the module boot folder and activate it.

Image

Wine Configuration~
To make sure everything runs properly. Go to your program Start Menu and run Wine Configuration under Settings. The first time you run this, you'll see a message that the configuration is being updated.

Image

During configuration, you'll be prompted 2 messages. Install both Mono and Gecko.

Image

Image

Depending on the speed of your computer and Internet connection. The configuration may appear early before or after both Mono and Gecko are installed.

Image

Accessing Windows Applications~
By now. You'll have access to your portable Windows applications by simply running their respective .exe extension files in their directory. But you're probably asking: "Wait. Where are the programs I installed? Where is the Windows Start Menu? How do I un-install programs properly?"

One step at a time. But before I explain those, you'll need to know where your simulated Windows directory is stored. On a guest account, there's a hidden folder named .wine in the guest folder. Which I presume is the same under root, .wine is in the root folder. To find it, you'll need your file manager to show hidden files. You should be able to directly access it by entering one of these directories in your file manager.

guest

Code: Select all

/home/guest/.wine/
root

Code: Select all

/root/.wine/
Inside you should find a drive_c folder, which contains a simulated Windows directory. It's a good idea to make a shortcut in your file manager to drive_c like I've done. (I've renamed mine.)

Image

Start Menu Shortcuts~
Your Windows programs should be visible in your Porteus Start Menu under Wine section after they are installed.

Image

The Start Menu shortcuts should be under one of the following directories if you have problems: You can double-click the .lnk files which are actually Windows shortcuts to run your installed programs. Also, you can also make a link on your Desktop to the Programs folder or .lnk file.
- Porteus guest account for User: /home/guest/.wine/drive_c/users/guest/Start Menu/
- Porteus guest account for All Users: /home/guest/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Start Menu/
- Porteus root account for User: /root/.wine/drive_c/users/guest/Start Menu/
- Porteus root account for All Users: /root/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Start Menu/

Note that making links to programs .exe on your Desktop will only cause problems since the program will think the program files are on your Desktop. You can however make a .desktop file with exec code "wine /directory_to_exe_file_here" to run them.

Add/Remove Programs~
To access Add/Remove Programs. Open the Terminal and run the following command:

Code: Select all

wine uninstaller
Image

Well. That's all for now. Took a while to write this out. If anything can be improved or any errors let me know.
Last edited by FURRY_NOVA on 23 Jul 2017, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

User avatar
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5410
Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 03:50
Distribution: Porteus v3.2rcX all desktops
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#2 by brokenman » 28 Sep 2016, 00:32

Great job!
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Posts: 2463
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 15:21
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5
Location: London

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#3 by Bogomips » 28 Sep 2016, 11:28

Not able to get images to show. :(
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

User avatar
FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Posts: 83
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#4 by FURRY_NOVA » 28 Sep 2016, 15:36

Bogomips wrote:Not able to get images to show. :(
That's odd. O.o The images are hosted from imgur and are visible on my screen. Do you have images enabled on your browser? Or your browser blocking external site images? Or your network blocking imgur and it's content maybe?
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Posts: 2463
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 15:21
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5
Location: London

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#5 by Bogomips » 28 Sep 2016, 18:13

^ Had Load Images: Originating server only. Made Automatic. Now OK.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

User avatar
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2983
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 22:12
Distribution: Cinnamon 3.2.2 64-bit ISO
Location: Western NY, USA

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#6 by Ed_P » 30 Sep 2016, 00:30

Tried this with Porteus 3.2rc5 Cinnamon x86-64 IPO system.

USM GUI

Selected file wine-1.9.15-x86-64-1alien
USM included as a dependency openal-soft-1.17.2-x86-64-2gv
No reference to the other two the x586 build showed.

Created a merged module. 136.7 MB

Moved to my Modules folder and Activated it.

Clicked on Porteus menu All Applications > Wine Configuration

Nothing happened. :(

Rebooted

Clicked on Porteus menu All Applications > Wine Configuration

Nothing happened. :(

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
guest@porteus:~$ wine-configuration
bash: wine-configuration: command not found
guest@porteus:~$ ls /mnt/live/memory/images/
000-kernel.xzm/
001-core.xzm/
002-xorg.xzm/
003-cinnamon.xzm/
009-caches.xzm/
changes/
firefox-48.0b6-x86_64-1.xzm/
flashplayer-plugin-22.0.0.209-x86_64-1.xzm/
nemo-actions-fix-by-blaze.xzm/
pepperflash-23.0.0.162-x86_64-1.xzm/
printing-3.2-lite-drivers.xzm/
printing-3.2-lite.xzm/
wine-1.9.15-x86_64-bundle.xzm/
xf86-video-amdgpu-1.1.1-x86_64.xzm/
xf86-video-ati-7.7.1-x86_64.xzm/
guest@porteus:~$ 
Suggestions?
Ed

User avatar
FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Posts: 83
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#7 by FURRY_NOVA » 30 Sep 2016, 01:16

Ed_P wrote:Tried this with Porteus 3.2rc5 Cinnamon x86-64 IPO system.

USM GUI

Selected file wine-1.9.15-x86-64-1alien
USM included as a dependency openal-soft-1.17.2-x86-64-2gv
No reference to the other two the x586 build showed.

Created a merged module. 136.7 MB

Moved to my Modules folder and Activated it.

Clicked on Porteus menu All Applications > Wine Configuration

Nothing happened. :(

Rebooted

Clicked on Porteus menu All Applications > Wine Configuration

Nothing happened. :(

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
guest@porteus:~$ wine-configuration
bash: wine-configuration: command not found
guest@porteus:~$ ls /mnt/live/memory/images/
000-kernel.xzm/
001-core.xzm/
002-xorg.xzm/
003-cinnamon.xzm/
009-caches.xzm/
changes/
firefox-48.0b6-x86_64-1.xzm/
flashplayer-plugin-22.0.0.209-x86_64-1.xzm/
nemo-actions-fix-by-blaze.xzm/
pepperflash-23.0.0.162-x86_64-1.xzm/
printing-3.2-lite-drivers.xzm/
printing-3.2-lite.xzm/
wine-1.9.15-x86_64-bundle.xzm/
xf86-video-amdgpu-1.1.1-x86_64.xzm/
xf86-video-ati-7.7.1-x86_64.xzm/
guest@porteus:~$ 
Suggestions?
It's possible that there are 64bit dependencies that don't exist yet and the USM GUI doesn't notify the user about it. You could try the Terminal method since I recall it prints a warning about missing dependencies it was unable to solve. You could also try another version of wine. Or try getting a package that allows 32bit modules to run on 64bit, I could provide my merged package for that if ya want.
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

User avatar
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2983
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 22:12
Distribution: Cinnamon 3.2.2 64-bit ISO
Location: Western NY, USA

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#8 by Ed_P » 30 Sep 2016, 03:22

FURRY_NOVA wrote:It's possible that there are 64bit dependencies that don't exist yet and the USM GUI doesn't notify the user about it. You could try the Terminal method since I recall it prints a warning about missing dependencies it was unable to solve. You could also try another version of wine. Or try getting a package that allows 32bit modules to run on 64bit, I could provide my merged package for that if ya want.
hmmmm

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -g wine

 The following items were found.
 Choose an number to confirm. 
 ctrl+c to quit

1) wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.txz
#? 1

Processing:   wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.txz 
Ignored libraries: 

Libraries required:  35
Libraries found in system: 33
Libraries to resolve: 2

Processing library: libopenal.so.1

 More than one package contains:  libopenal.so.1
singularity-1.7.3.3624-x86_64-1_slonly.txz  28264K  slackonly
firestorm-4.7.9.50527-x86_64-1_slonly.txz   92576K  slackonly
openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.txz           357K    salix
OpenAL-1.17.2-x86_64-2sl.txz                395K    slacky
OpenAL-1.17.1-x86_64-1ponce.txz             400K    ponce

 The following items were found.
 Choose an number to confirm. 
 ctrl+c to quit

1) singularity-1.7.3.3624-x86_64-1_slonly.txz
2) firestorm-4.7.9.50527-x86_64-1_slonly.txz
3) openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.txz
4) OpenAL-1.17.2-x86_64-2sl.txz
5) OpenAL-1.17.1-x86_64-1ponce.txz
#? 3
Processing library: libwine.so.1

Processing:   openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.txz 
Ignored libraries: 

Libraries required:  5
Libraries found in system: 4
Libraries to resolve: 1

Processing library: libopenal.so.1

 The following packages are required. 
openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.txz [357K] [not installed]
wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.txz [118228K] [not installed]

Total size: 118 MB

 Multiple packages were detected.
 Would you like to merge the packages into one module? [y/n]
Trying another version not an option but your suggestion to getting a package that allows 32bit modules to run on 64bit is interesting. Wine's base Windows XP is 32bit so why a 64bit wine module? :(

-edit-

Running usm for wine in my 3.0.1 system I see:

Code: Select all

 The following packages are required. 
mpg123-1.15.4-x86_64-1.txz [252K] [not installed]
openal-soft-1.15.1-x86_64-1gv.txz [183K] [not installed]
openldap-client-2.4.31-x86_64-2.txz [396K] [not installed]
wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.txz [118228K] [not installed]

Total size: 119 MB

 Multiple packages were detected.
 Would you like to merge the packages into one module? [y/n]
Ed

User avatar
FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Posts: 83
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#9 by FURRY_NOVA » 01 Oct 2016, 01:07

Ed_P wrote:
FURRY_NOVA wrote:It's possible that there are 64bit dependencies that don't exist yet and the USM GUI doesn't notify the user about it. You could try the Terminal method since I recall it prints a warning about missing dependencies it was unable to solve. You could also try another version of wine. Or try getting a package that allows 32bit modules to run on 64bit, I could provide my merged package for that if ya want.
hmmmm

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -g wine

 The following items were found.
 Choose an number to confirm. 
 ctrl+c to quit

1) wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.txz
#? 1

Processing:   wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.txz 
Ignored libraries: 

Libraries required:  35
Libraries found in system: 33
Libraries to resolve: 2

Processing library: libopenal.so.1

 More than one package contains:  libopenal.so.1
singularity-1.7.3.3624-x86_64-1_slonly.txz  28264K  slackonly
firestorm-4.7.9.50527-x86_64-1_slonly.txz   92576K  slackonly
openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.txz           357K    salix
OpenAL-1.17.2-x86_64-2sl.txz                395K    slacky
OpenAL-1.17.1-x86_64-1ponce.txz             400K    ponce

 The following items were found.
 Choose an number to confirm. 
 ctrl+c to quit

1) singularity-1.7.3.3624-x86_64-1_slonly.txz
2) firestorm-4.7.9.50527-x86_64-1_slonly.txz
3) openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.txz
4) OpenAL-1.17.2-x86_64-2sl.txz
5) OpenAL-1.17.1-x86_64-1ponce.txz
#? 3
Processing library: libwine.so.1

Processing:   openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.txz 
Ignored libraries: 

Libraries required:  5
Libraries found in system: 4
Libraries to resolve: 1

Processing library: libopenal.so.1

 The following packages are required. 
openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.txz [357K] [not installed]
wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.txz [118228K] [not installed]

Total size: 118 MB

 Multiple packages were detected.
 Would you like to merge the packages into one module? [y/n]
Trying another version not an option but your suggestion to getting a package that allows 32bit modules to run on 64bit is interesting. Wine's base Windows XP is 32bit so why a 64bit wine module? :(

-edit-

Running usm for wine in my 3.0.1 system I see:

Code: Select all

 The following packages are required. 
mpg123-1.15.4-x86_64-1.txz [252K] [not installed]
openal-soft-1.15.1-x86_64-1gv.txz [183K] [not installed]
openldap-client-2.4.31-x86_64-2.txz [396K] [not installed]
wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.txz [118228K] [not installed]

Total size: 119 MB

 Multiple packages were detected.
 Would you like to merge the packages into one module? [y/n]
My config sets Windows XP as default. But includes Windows: 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7, 2008 R2, 8, 8.1 and 10. I thought 7 and newer are 64bit only. I thought XP had 32 and 64 bit versions when I downloaded apps from Windows site, but I could be wrong.

That xzm bundle is a bit bigger than mine. It's probably the GUI you're using. Apart from trying some way to make the 32bit module work on 64bit or trying another GUI. I don't know how else to help, mate. :(
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

User avatar
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2983
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 22:12
Distribution: Cinnamon 3.2.2 64-bit ISO
Location: Western NY, USA

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#10 by Ed_P » 01 Oct 2016, 03:51

FURRY_NOVA wrote:My config sets Windows XP as default. But includes Windows: 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7, 2008 R2, 8, 8.1 and 10. I thought 7 and newer are 64bit only. I thought XP had 32 and 64 bit versions when I downloaded apps from Windows site, but I could be wrong.
Win 7 definitely has 32bit & 64bit versions, I use to run one of each and still do the 32bit version. I think there is even a 32bit Win 10. Not aware of XP ever being 64bit.
That xzm bundle is a bit bigger than mine. It's probably the GUI you're using. Apart from trying some way to make the 32bit module work on 64bit or trying another GUI. I don't know how else to help, mate. :(
The GUI is USM 4.2.

I appreciate your trying to help. :beer:
Ed

User avatar
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2983
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 22:12
Distribution: Cinnamon 3.2.2 64-bit ISO
Location: Western NY, USA

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#11 by Ed_P » 01 Oct 2016, 23:52

I manually included the gd-2.2.1 module but not the libgphoto2-2.5.10 one since USM indicated the module was already installed..

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/home/guest# ls /tmp/usm/*.xzm
/tmp/usm/gd-2.2.1-x86_64-1.xzm
/tmp/usm/openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.xzm
/tmp/usm/wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.xzm
root@porteus:/home/guest# 
I activated each of the modules and tried wine-config again via the menu and got nothing.
Tried terminal mode.

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
guest@porteus:~$ ./wine
bash: ./wine: No such file or directory
guest@porteus:~$ su
Password: 
root@porteus:/home/guest# wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
root@porteus:/home/guest# ls /usr/bin/wine*
/usr/bin/wine*              /usr/bin/winecfg*      /usr/bin/wineg++@
/usr/bin/wine-preloader*    /usr/bin/wineconsole*  /usr/bin/winegcc*
/usr/bin/wine64*            /usr/bin/winecpp@      /usr/bin/winemaker*
/usr/bin/wine64-preloader*  /usr/bin/winedbg*      /usr/bin/winemine*
/usr/bin/wineboot*          /usr/bin/winedump*     /usr/bin/winepath*
/usr/bin/winebuild*         /usr/bin/winefile*     /usr/bin/wineserver*
root@porteus:/home/guest# 
Sure looks like the wine file is in /usr/bin/.
Ed

User avatar
FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Posts: 83
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#12 by FURRY_NOVA » 02 Oct 2016, 00:19

Ed_P wrote:I manually included the gd-2.2.1 module but not the libgphoto2-2.5.10 one since USM indicated the module was already installed..

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/home/guest# ls /tmp/usm/*.xzm
/tmp/usm/gd-2.2.1-x86_64-1.xzm
/tmp/usm/openal-soft-1.17.2-x86_64-2gv.xzm
/tmp/usm/wine-1.9.15-x86_64-1alien.xzm
root@porteus:/home/guest# 
I activated each of the modules and tried wine-config again via the menu and got nothing.
Tried terminal mode.

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
guest@porteus:~$ ./wine
bash: ./wine: No such file or directory
guest@porteus:~$ su
Password: 
root@porteus:/home/guest# wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
root@porteus:/home/guest# ls /usr/bin/wine*
/usr/bin/wine*              /usr/bin/winecfg*      /usr/bin/wineg++@
/usr/bin/wine-preloader*    /usr/bin/wineconsole*  /usr/bin/winegcc*
/usr/bin/wine64*            /usr/bin/winecpp@      /usr/bin/winemaker*
/usr/bin/wine64-preloader*  /usr/bin/winedbg*      /usr/bin/winemine*
/usr/bin/wineboot*          /usr/bin/winedump*     /usr/bin/winepath*
/usr/bin/winebuild*         /usr/bin/winefile*     /usr/bin/wineserver*
root@porteus:/home/guest# 
Sure looks like the wine file is in /usr/bin/.
Wine can run without root account far as I'm aware. Even when installing/un-installing programs in the simulated directory.

I've been having a look around and thought I check out USM in Fresh mode. I've found this when I ran
"usm -d". I don't know if is normal to have 18 missing dependencies in base_only modules but maybe you could try it. Your Linux OS probably missing a dependencies that required for all the ones you got for Wine now or something.

Code: Select all

 Missing dependencies:  18

libQtCore.so.4
libQtGui.so.4
libQtOpenGL.so.4
libQtXml.so.4
libaprutil-1.so.0
libgc.so.1
libgd.so.3
libgdk-1.2.so.0
libgladeui-1.so.11
libglib-1.2.so.0
libgmodule-1.2.so.0
libgsf-1.so.114
libgtk-1.2.so.0
libmysqlclient.so.18
libpython2.7.so.1.0
libtcl8.6.so
libunistring.so.0
libxmms.so.1
There's chances your Linux OS isn't compatible with Wine or maybe it's the 64bit thing. Forgive me if I'm not much help. I'm still currently learning how to use this OS fully. :(
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

User avatar
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2983
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 22:12
Distribution: Cinnamon 3.2.2 64-bit ISO
Location: Western NY, USA

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#13 by Ed_P » 02 Oct 2016, 01:09

FURRY_NOVA wrote:Wine can run without root account far as I'm aware.
Yes, I know, I run wine in my normal system, but frequently when I run a command that doesn't work the answer is it has to be run as root.
I've been having a look around and thought I check out USM in Fresh mode. I've found this when I ran
"usm -d". I don't know if is normal to have 18 missing dependencies in base_only modules but maybe you could try it. Your Linux OS probably missing a dependencies that required for all the ones you got for Wine now or something.
An interesting command. I've never heard of it.

Did you get many "not a valid file" messages? How about "not found" messages?

Code: Select all

Processing: zlib-1.2.8-x86_64-1
####################################

libijs-0.35.so => not found
Required by: cups-filters-1.9.0-x86_64-2 (/usr/lib64/cups/filter/pdftoijs)

/usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnss3.so: /usr/lib64/libnssutil3.so: version `NSSUTIL_3.24' not found (required by /usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnss3.so)
Required by: firefox-48.0b6-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnss3.so)

/usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnssdbm3.so: /usr/lib64/libnssutil3.so: version `NSSUTIL_3.24' not found (required by /usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnssdbm3.so)
Required by: firefox-48.0b6-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnssdbm3.so)

libgtk-1.2.so.0 => not found
libgdk-1.2.so.0 => not found
libgmodule-1.2.so.0 => not found
libglib-1.2.so.0 => not found
libxmms.so.1 => not found
Required by: flac-1.3.1-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/xmms/Input/libxmms-flac.so)

libgd.so.3 => not found
Required by: glibc-2.23-x86_64-1 (/usr/bin/memusagestat)

libguile-2.0.so.22 => not found
libgc.so.1 => not found
Required by: gnutls-3.4.13-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/guile/2.0/guile-gnutls-v-2.so.0.0.0)

libverto.so.0 => not found
Required by: krb5-1.14.2-x86_64-1jay (/usr/sbin/kadmind)

libverto.so.0 => not found
Required by: krb5-1.14.2-x86_64-1jay (/usr/sbin/krb5kdc)

libgd.so.3 => not found
Required by: libgphoto2-2.5.10-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/libgphoto2/2.5.10/ax203.so)

libgd.so.3 => not found
Required by: libgphoto2-2.5.10-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/libgphoto2/2.5.10/st2205.so)

libgd.so.3 => not found
Required by: libgphoto2-2.5.10-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/libgphoto2/2.5.10/tp6801.so)

libtcl8.6.so => not found
Required by: newt-0.52.19-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/whiptcl.so)

libmysqlclient.so.18 => not found
Required by: perl-5.22.2-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so)

libQtGui.so.4 => not found
libQtXml.so.4 => not found
libQtCore.so.4 => not found
Required by: poppler-0.45.0-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/libpoppler-qt4.so.4.9.0)

libtk8.6.so => not found
libtcl8.6.so => not found
Required by: python-2.7.11-x86_64-2 (/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so)

libtcl8.6.so => not found
libtk8.6.so => not found
Required by: python-pillow-3.0.0-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/PIL/_imagingtk.so)

libgimpui-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpmodule-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimp-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpmath-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpconfig-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpcolor-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpbase-2.0.so.0 => not found
Required by: sane-1.0.25-x86_64-2 (/usr/bin/xscanimage)

libnetsnmp.so.30 => not found
Required by: sane-1.0.25-x86_64-2 (/usr/lib64/sane/libsane-magicolor.so.1.0.25)

libQtOpenGL.so.4 => not found
libQtGui.so.4 => not found
libQtCore.so.4 => not found
Required by: v4l-utils-1.10.0-x86_64-1 (/usr/bin/qv4l2)

####################################


 Missing dependencies:  28

libQtCore.so.4
libQtGui.so.4
libQtOpenGL.so.4
libQtXml.so.4
libgc.so.1
libgd.so.3
libgdk-1.2.so.0
libgimp-2.0.so.0
libgimpbase-2.0.so.0
libgimpcolor-2.0.so.0
libgimpconfig-2.0.so.0
libgimpmath-2.0.so.0
libgimpmodule-2.0.so.0
libgimpui-2.0.so.0
libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0
libglib-1.2.so.0
libgmodule-1.2.so.0
libgtk-1.2.so.0
libguile-2.0.so.22
libijs-0.35.so
libmysqlclient.so.18
libnetsnmp.so.30
libtcl8.6.so
libtk8.6.so
libverto.so.0
libxmms.so.1
Searching  libQtCore.so.4:  found 2 packages.

Choose a package to download or choose 'None' to neglect
1) None					3) qt-4.8.7-x86_64-4.txz
2) copasi-4.16.104-x86_64-1_slonly.txz
#? 
Or prompts to download packages? :shock:
There's chances your Linux OS isn't compatible with Wine or maybe it's the 64bit thing.
I find that possibe but not likely. But I have been wrong before. :D
Forgive me if I'm not much help. I'm still currently learning how to use this OS fully. :(
Me too. :D :beer:
Ed

User avatar
FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Posts: 83
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#14 by FURRY_NOVA » 02 Oct 2016, 01:37

Ed_P wrote: An interesting command. Did you get many "not a valid file" messages? How about "not found" messages?

Code: Select all

Processing: zlib-1.2.8-x86_64-1
####################################

libijs-0.35.so => not found
Required by: cups-filters-1.9.0-x86_64-2 (/usr/lib64/cups/filter/pdftoijs)

/usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnss3.so: /usr/lib64/libnssutil3.so: version `NSSUTIL_3.24' not found (required by /usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnss3.so)
Required by: firefox-48.0b6-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnss3.so)

/usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnssdbm3.so: /usr/lib64/libnssutil3.so: version `NSSUTIL_3.24' not found (required by /usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnssdbm3.so)
Required by: firefox-48.0b6-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/firefox-48.0b6/libnssdbm3.so)

libgtk-1.2.so.0 => not found
libgdk-1.2.so.0 => not found
libgmodule-1.2.so.0 => not found
libglib-1.2.so.0 => not found
libxmms.so.1 => not found
Required by: flac-1.3.1-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/xmms/Input/libxmms-flac.so)

libgd.so.3 => not found
Required by: glibc-2.23-x86_64-1 (/usr/bin/memusagestat)

libguile-2.0.so.22 => not found
libgc.so.1 => not found
Required by: gnutls-3.4.13-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/guile/2.0/guile-gnutls-v-2.so.0.0.0)

libverto.so.0 => not found
Required by: krb5-1.14.2-x86_64-1jay (/usr/sbin/kadmind)

libverto.so.0 => not found
Required by: krb5-1.14.2-x86_64-1jay (/usr/sbin/krb5kdc)

libgd.so.3 => not found
Required by: libgphoto2-2.5.10-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/libgphoto2/2.5.10/ax203.so)

libgd.so.3 => not found
Required by: libgphoto2-2.5.10-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/libgphoto2/2.5.10/st2205.so)

libgd.so.3 => not found
Required by: libgphoto2-2.5.10-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/libgphoto2/2.5.10/tp6801.so)

libtcl8.6.so => not found
Required by: newt-0.52.19-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/whiptcl.so)

libmysqlclient.so.18 => not found
Required by: perl-5.22.2-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so)

libQtGui.so.4 => not found
libQtXml.so.4 => not found
libQtCore.so.4 => not found
Required by: poppler-0.45.0-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/libpoppler-qt4.so.4.9.0)

libtk8.6.so => not found
libtcl8.6.so => not found
Required by: python-2.7.11-x86_64-2 (/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so)

libtcl8.6.so => not found
libtk8.6.so => not found
Required by: python-pillow-3.0.0-x86_64-1 (/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/PIL/_imagingtk.so)

libgimpui-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpmodule-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimp-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpmath-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpconfig-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpcolor-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgimpbase-2.0.so.0 => not found
Required by: sane-1.0.25-x86_64-2 (/usr/bin/xscanimage)

libnetsnmp.so.30 => not found
Required by: sane-1.0.25-x86_64-2 (/usr/lib64/sane/libsane-magicolor.so.1.0.25)

libQtOpenGL.so.4 => not found
libQtGui.so.4 => not found
libQtCore.so.4 => not found
Required by: v4l-utils-1.10.0-x86_64-1 (/usr/bin/qv4l2)

####################################


 Missing dependencies:  28

libQtCore.so.4
libQtGui.so.4
libQtOpenGL.so.4
libQtXml.so.4
libgc.so.1
libgd.so.3
libgdk-1.2.so.0
libgimp-2.0.so.0
libgimpbase-2.0.so.0
libgimpcolor-2.0.so.0
libgimpconfig-2.0.so.0
libgimpmath-2.0.so.0
libgimpmodule-2.0.so.0
libgimpui-2.0.so.0
libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0
libglib-1.2.so.0
libgmodule-1.2.so.0
libgtk-1.2.so.0
libguile-2.0.so.22
libijs-0.35.so
libmysqlclient.so.18
libnetsnmp.so.30
libtcl8.6.so
libtk8.6.so
libverto.so.0
libxmms.so.1
Searching  libQtCore.so.4:  found 2 packages.

Choose a package to download or choose 'None' to neglect
1) None					3) qt-4.8.7-x86_64-4.txz
2) copasi-4.16.104-x86_64-1_slonly.txz
#? 
Or prompts to download packages? :shock:
I found it by just entering "usm" in terminal for list of commands. Also, that's that same outcome I had but not that many dependencies missing. :o It doesn't ask to convert to modules or merge them into a bundle after, for me.
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Posts: 2463
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 15:21
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5
Location: London

Re: [HOWTO] Run Windows Applications

Post#15 by Bogomips » 02 Oct 2016, 12:36

Ed_P wrote:Tried terminal mode.

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
guest@porteus:~$ ./wine
bash: ./wine: No such file or directory
guest@porteus:~$ su
Password: 
root@porteus:/home/guest# wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
root@porteus:/home/guest# ls /usr/bin/wine*
/usr/bin/wine*              /usr/bin/winecfg*      /usr/bin/wineg++@
/usr/bin/wine-preloader*    /usr/bin/wineconsole*  /usr/bin/winegcc*
/usr/bin/wine64*            /usr/bin/winecpp@      /usr/bin/winemaker*
/usr/bin/wine64-preloader*  /usr/bin/winedbg*      /usr/bin/winemine*
/usr/bin/wineboot*          /usr/bin/winedump*     /usr/bin/winepath*
/usr/bin/winebuild*         /usr/bin/winefile*     /usr/bin/wineserver*
root@porteus:/home/guest# 
Sure looks like the wine file is in /usr/bin/.
Rather late to the party on this one. A fairly nasty one to sort out:

Code: Select all

file  /usr/bin/wine
As bash has not found it, it's not a script. So most probably conflicting architecture. :wall:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Post Reply