Porteus 3.2.2

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
jjflash
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2-32Bit - 5.01-64Bit

Porteus 3.2.2

Post#1 by jjflash » 11 May 2017, 10:51

In the first: please excuse my bad english, I'm a native speaking german.

I'm a great fan of porteus and I use it daily for developing microcontroller programs. It's my favorite system followed by Windows 7 as my second system.

I'm using Porteus 3.1 32-Bit (and here I'm not able to update Firefox to version 53 or hight).

Why don't you have the current version 3.2.2 build to a 32-Bit system? Is this planed or is a 32-Bit system dead in Porteus development ?

I'm sad, that there is no longer a web interface to generate ISO-files for a system. Why is this great web tool removed ?
I'm an old man, but I'm stil in learning process

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Porteus 3.2.2

Post#2 by Bogomips » 11 May 2017, 11:11

jjflash wrote:Why don't you have the current version 3.2.2 build to a 32-Bit system? Is this planed or is a 32-Bit system dead in Porteus development ?
http://dl.porteus.org/i586/Porteus-v3.2.2/ :)
jjflash wrote:I'm sad, that there is no longer a web interface to generate ISO-files for a system. Why is this great web tool removed ?
Resource scarcity. :(
Although an experienced programmer, but when first came upon Porteus, the builder was rather daunting. Had no idea what was exactly being made up. Only used it because of nvidia card, would rather have had ready made iso for test drive. However now Nouveau is able to take the strain, so no problem with nvidia card using ready-made ISOs for Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE in v3.2.2.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

jjflash
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by jjflash » 12 May 2017, 07:18

Thanks a lot for the link.

If tried it, and it worked.

But I have a unexpected problem with the version 3.2.2. Both, in 32 and 64 Bit. In older version there was a link in /lib/modules/version-porteus/~build that point to /usr/src/linux.

In version 3.2.2 this is missing and there are no kernel sources installed.

This was needed by patching the ch340 device driver for an USB2RS232 bridge (which has an parity bug, but needed cause this chip is used in my own designed microcontroller boards).
A correct ch340 driver is essentially for me, cause this is the chip who should work with stm32flash (bootloader programm for cortex m0 .. m4 microcontrollers).

Can I download this sources or is there a xzm-modul which includes the files?

If you don't plan to do this cause it's not often used by the people, perhaps you can send me a patched ch34x.ko by mail? You can find he patch for the driver here:

https://github.com/jjflash65/ch340driver

----------------------------------------

Hm, perhaps my previous postings is "unlucky" in writing (I know my english is really bad but :roll: I'm a really old man). I don't wanna critisize you. You've made a great work with portues and I'm very happy for the existing of porteus.

In german language i would say:

Super Arbeit mit Porteus und ich bin froh dass es das gibt. Mit dem neuen Release habe ich kein Problem bis auf den Treiber (der in jeder Linux Distribution steckt). Ich habe auch kein Problem Porteus aus einem Link zu erstellen, ich dachte nur, dass man mehr Menschen für Linux hätte interessieren können, wenn das zusammenbasteln eines ISO-Files aus der Webseite heraus geschieht. Ich fand das sehr genial und sehr einfach).

:-) I'm a porteus lover
I'm an old man, but I'm stil in learning process

jjflash
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by jjflash » 12 May 2017, 08:08

I've found the crippled_sources.xzm in the repository and:

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaah ....

it works.

Thanks such a lot for Porteus.