[SOLVED] Show or teach me about ISO booting

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

[SOLVED] Show or teach me about ISO booting

Post#1 by Jack » 11 Jan 2017, 14:37

Ed_P

Do you use Porteus ISO from Windows? If so could you show or teach me how because I would like to try and learn how. Just put it in some kind of order what to do or step by step. I have never done it

Jack

UPDATE:

Just follow this thread and you can do it to.
Last edited by Jack on 14 Jan 2017, 19:48, edited 2 times in total.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Show or teach me about ISO booting

Post#2 by Ed_P » 11 Jan 2017, 18:01

I do indeed. I use to do it using Grub4DOS but Grub4DOS doesn't work with UEFI systems so I have started using a Windows app named Grub2Win. Both approaches work by adding a second boot manager to the Windows boot manager. They don't replace the system on the hard drive rather they add to it. A major advantage with this approach is when a new menu item fails to work you can simply reboot to the machine's normal Windows system.

A disadvantage to booting ISOs is the ISO file is fixed, it doesn't change, so if you desire to save things, especially changes, or add modules you will need to set up a structure outside the ISO. To that end I suggest setting up a file structure with a folder the name of the system the ISO executes and subfolders under it for Changes, Modules, Optional, Misc. Something like:
/porteus322
..Porteus-CINNAMON-v3.2.2-x86_64.iso
../Modules
../Optional
../Changes

Hope This Helps Jack. :)
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Jack » 11 Jan 2017, 18:46

Can I use Grub2Win if I don't have UEFI on non UEFI Laptop. Can this be save on root of C: or USB 8 or 16gb? The big question is the ISO can that be on the root of Windows Hard Drive?

Code: Select all

/porteus322
../Modules
../Optional
../Changes
I take it Grub2Win can be run in Windows? And will it setup when I install it for me?
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#4 by Blaze » 11 Jan 2017, 18:50

Ed_P, a nice tool.
I found a good video about Grub2Win
How to Install any Linux(Mint) Directly from ISO image Dual boot Windows 7
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Jack » 11 Jan 2017, 19:30

Thanks Blaze for that video it going to be a great help. I have already download the file. Do I need to do all of that if I want run Porteus Live?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 11 Jan 2017, 19:41

Jack wrote:Can I use Grub2Win if I don't have UEFI on non UEFI Laptop.
Yes. That's how I am using it at this point.
Can this be save on root of C:
Yes
or USB 8 or 16gb?
Not directly but nothing prevents you from copying the install to a USB drive. :)
The big question is the ISO can that be on the root of Windows Hard Drive?
Sure.
I take it Grub2Win can be run in Windows?
It's a Windows app so yeah.
And will it setup when I install it for me?
No, once the app is installed you have to configure it to boot ISOs or whatever other system you have installed.
Jack wrote:I have already download the file.
To install it, unzip it to a folder then go to the folder's /install and click on the setup.bat to run it which installs Grub2Win to your system. How to configure it to boot a Porteus ISO will come after that is done.
Jack wrote:Do I need to do all of that if I want run Porteus Live?
Definitely not.
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Jack » 11 Jan 2017, 20:15

Ed_P wrote:
Jack wrote:Do I need to do all of that if I want run Porteus Live?
Definitely not.
I think in the video you do it in the config file like they did it Linux Mint just change the path to Linux Mint from to path to Porteus. I think that how.

How did I edit this in to make it work?

/porteus322
    ../Modules
    ../Optional
    ../Changes

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by Ed_P » 11 Jan 2017, 23:52

Jack wrote:How did I edit this in to make it work?

/porteus322
    ../Modules
    ../Optional
    ../Changes
You got Grub2Win installed?
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Jack » 12 Jan 2017, 01:24

No not it be a while before I can do it. I will be in out this week.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Ed_P » 12 Jan 2017, 01:44

^ No problem, take your time. We'll talk more next week after you have it installed.
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by Jack » 12 Jan 2017, 05:04

Will I install Grub2Win version 8.1.5 and it running. I will stay in Windows 7 tell I hear back from you.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by Ed_P » 12 Jan 2017, 16:11

So, Jack, have you rebooted since installing Grub2win? If not you should.

Two things to notice:

1. When you boot now you will see a Windows boot menu. Booting Windows from the hard drive will be the top option on the menu and it will boot your Windows system just like before. Grub2Win will be the second option. If you're curious select it and see what it does.

2. After you have booted Windows start Grub2Win, either by an icon on the desktop or by clicking on the grub2win.exe in C:\grub2. Notice near the top of the Grub2Win window on the left 3 buttons. If you ever decide to remove Grub2Win from your system use these buttons to do it. They will insure your Windows boot manager gets restored to the way it was before you installed Grub2Win. Simply deleting the c:\grub2 folder is not how to remove Grub2Win from your system.

So, what is the name and location of your Porteus ISO and Porteus folders?
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by Jack » 12 Jan 2017, 17:51

Ed_P wrote:So, Jack, have you rebooted since installing Grub2win? If not you should.

Yes I rebooted and I defrag c:.
Two things to notice:

1. When you boot now you will see a Windows boot menu. Booting Windows from the hard drive will be the top option on the menu and it will boot your Windows system just like before. Grub2Win will be the second option. If you're curious select it and see what it does.

2. After you have booted Windows start Grub2Win, either by an icon on the desktop or by clicking on the grub2win.exe in C:\grub2. Notice near the top of the Grub2Win window on the left 3 buttons. If you ever decide to remove Grub2Win from your system use these buttons to do it. They will insure your Windows boot manager gets restored to the way it was before you installed Grub2Win. Simply deleting the c:\grub2 folder is not how to remove Grub2Win from your system.
After I rebooted it went in to Windows it didn't give a option to do what you said. There is a icon on my Desktop.
So, what is the name and location of your Porteus ISO and Porteus folders?
It is in root of C:/porteus322. It is Porteus-MATE-v3.2.2-x86_6.iso . And I did this.

/porteus322
..Porteus-MATE-v3.2.2-x86_64.iso
../Modules
../Optional
../Changes
../Rootcopy

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#14 by Ed_P » 12 Jan 2017, 20:29

Jack wrote:After I rebooted it went in to Windows it didn't give a option to do what you said. There is a icon on my Desktop.
So you didn't execute the icon on your Desktop to see what Grub2Win looks like!! Interesting.

Well you need to do it now if you want to continue. :)

Click on the desktop icon for Grub2Win.
When the window opens briefly note the 3 blue buttons at the top on the left.
Then click on the yellow Manage Boot Menu at the bottom of the window.
Click on the orange Add New Entry button at the top of the Menu Configuration window.
On the Editing Menu window:
  • For OS Type scroll down to isoboot
    For Pause Seconds enter 20
    For Title replace Isoboot with Porteus 3.2.2
    Click on the Green Select ISO File
    Find C:/porteus322/Porteus-MATE-v3.2.2-x86_6.iso, highlight it then click on Open
    Now click on the sample code box
    Change

set kernelpath='/** kernel path **'                 # Example '/vmlinuz'
        set initrdpath='/** initrd path **'                 # Example '/initrd.img'
        set bootparms='** your linux bootparms **'   

to be

set kernelpath='/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz'
        set initrdpath='/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz'
        set bootparms='from='$isopath' volume=33 reboot=cold extramod=C:/porteus322/Modules'
    Close the Edit window, saving the changes
    Click on the Ok button
    Click on the Apply button
    Click on the Ok button.
This should give you a boot menu when you reboot. And if you choose the Grub2Win option when you boot you should see an entry for Porteus, which if selected should boot. It may not boot the way you want but it should boot.

When done checking out Porteus reboot to Windows.

You will probably want to change/tweak how the Porteus ISO runs to that end change the bootparms to meet your desires. And an easy to do that is to edit the c:\grub2\grub.cfg file with Notepad or your favorite text editor.

Have fun. :good:
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#15 by Jack » 12 Jan 2017, 21:54

This should give you a boot menu when you reboot. And if you choose the Grub2Win option when you boot you should see an entry for Porteus, which if selected should boot. It may not boot the way you want but it should boot.
Will I rebooted and forund Porteus 3.3.2 but it try to run it gave an ERROR I think it was it couldn't find partition or path. I did what you wrote. I will try find or make sure the path of ISO.

UPDATE:
I rerun Grub2Win and edit Porueus 3.2.2 and redetect the ISO and now it boot but it said something about the Modules directory. Any idea

UPDATE2:
How can I load the addon modules? I put them in the modules directory in C:/porteus322/modules.