[SOLVED] ...Minimum base loadout

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Re: [Solved] Minimum base loadout...

Post#16 by Jack » 30 Jul 2016, 14:38

Why I said I would start a new thread is you mark this one "[Solved]" that why. And I been wanting to do this since Porteus 3.1. If you get a good 001 and 002 as far as dependency you have no problems dependency when you build 003-desktop the only problem with dependency should be for the desktop only. I know 001 might get bigger but 002 and 003 with be smaller.

I want 003-desktop just the desktop only and build a 004 for basic programs to be use. There will be stand alone programs like Firefox and Flashplayer-plugin cause the change all the time and they need to update. Brokenman has build scripts for that.

If someone else want to do there thing and start over 001 should be done for them and my be 002 too. They can work on 003-desktop the one they want to use and 004 for their programs they want to use.

As far as 003 I would like to be able to use USM to build the desktop but I think you can't do that. As far as 004 they can use USM for there programs.
EDIT:
I think most of the dependency are there for 001 they are in 002 or 003 they just need to be move to 001.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

fullmoonremix

Re: [Solved] Minimum base loadout...

Post#17 by fullmoonremix » 30 Jul 2016, 17:11

I think you are correct Jack. I will change it to [Solved?]. With the question mark...it makes it "pending".

@ least for my soon to be released derivative... my basic goal ( no Gtk/Qt) is to patch 000...
deprecate 001... rebuild 002 and stop @ that point leaving the option to build on top.

Posted by 73.112.16.227 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: [Solved?] Minimum base loadout...

Post#18 by brokenman » 30 Jul 2016, 18:38

@ brokenman ... how much will it cost if you only patch 000-kernel.xzm? I figured out how to do the rest.
If you supply the working patches I will do it for free.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#19 by Jack » 30 Jul 2016, 19:31

Here is what I came up with so far. I haven't tested it yet I just check the dependency with the list I have. I'm going to test it next.
These need to go from 002 to 001

Code: Select all

bluez
dbus-glib
fftw
glib2
gnutls
harfbuzz
icu4c
libICE
libSM
libX11
libXau
libXdmcp
libXext
libXrender
libpng
libxcb
libsamplerate
libsoup
libtirpc
libxml2
ModemManager
mozilla-nss
nettle
p11-kit
polkit
samba
These need to go from 003 to 001.

openldap-client
python
These to be added to 001.

db48
expat
gcc
gcc-g++
gmp
fontconfig
freetype
libplist
libsigsegv
openssl-solibs
slang
qt
When all these are move or added 001 should be come a complete package and have all it's dependency to work right by it self.
EDIT:
Uddate I just downloaded all the above programs. Here is a list that I wasn't able to download below. They non Slackware from Slackware. I Will have to find them. I will get back when I get 001 updated with out come of what happen.

SCAN REPORT 
The following packages were not found.

httpfs2
ifenslave
iputils
laptop-mode-tools
p7zip
portmap
pptp
sshfs-fuse
tofrodos
unrar
usm
util
webfs
wgetpaste
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

fullmoonremix

Post#20 by fullmoonremix » 30 Jul 2016, 20:52

@ brokenman... I supplied all the info you requested in this thread that I have so far...
http://webwarper.net/ww/~av/forum.porte ... 113&t=5636

Fill me in on the additional info that you need and I will do the research.
It may take me a day or two to hunt down what's missing (if anything).

@ Jack... you listed Python. It requires Gtk. Gtk is a toolkit for GUI's. NetworkManager is a CLI. A toolkit like Gtk/Qt
(a requirement for GUI frontends) is not required for a CLI (the exception is NetworkManager's frontend).

Python (and other languages except for Perl in 001) and Gtk/Qt would be required in 002 to support the GUI environment (and applications) in 003.

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 31 Jul 2016, 19:00, edited 5 times in total.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#21 by Jack » 30 Jul 2016, 22:13

I'm sorry but there was a few programs that require python as a dependency and wpa_supplicant require qt as a dependency. If you don't want problems then you use them beside I use USM to install a program and it need one or the other so why already have them there.

Beside I'm doing this for me and I'm posting to show member I'm doing. If there is a problem I will stop posting what I'm doing.

fullmoonremix

Post#22 by fullmoonremix » 30 Jul 2016, 22:31

No worries Jack... of course feel free to roll your own derivative. However... brokenman will make NetworkManager and USM (which he wrote) function w/out
toolkits the way Porteus used to be. In the past USM worked fine without lots of 001 dependencies so I'm confident it will again when brokenman releases rc5.

It is not a requirement to load 001 up with deps to use USM because I had 001 working just fine last year using plain vanilla.
I just can't locate the Porteus version I used. A lot of what appears as deps sometimes are just optional support packages.

If Qt (002) is listed as a dependency it is for a GUI frontend (003) not a CLI (001) backend.
A good example of this is gparted (it is the frontend of X11/xlib "parted" CLI) which uses Gtk.

The key to deps are the solibs (".so"). Usually it's best to choose the smallest USM package (preferably w/out toolkits) to obtain the solib.
(see... http://webwarper.net/ww/~av/slakfinder.org ) If you enter the solib in the "file name" field it will return the associated package(s).

Also the Salix depfinder can display solibs that are associated with a given package.
(see... http://webwarper.net/ww/~av/slakfinder. ... pkg=247203 )

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 31 Jul 2016, 19:04, edited 3 times in total.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#23 by Jack » 30 Jul 2016, 23:37

I'm not building it to run anything in 001 and 002 I just wanted it to have no dependency problem's in 001 and 002. And the way I check dependency in 001 is there no 002, 003 or anything loaded when I booted up but 000 and 001 and it still said I needed them so I added them that is why. Beside somewhere down the road you or any member will have or might need python or qt cause I have.

I don't want any problem like in the past about finding dependency. So if my idea works I'll be happy if not I live with it I have in the past. I could go with another distro but I'm happy with Slackware. Believe me I have try them all and there is only one close and that Manjaro if I had to change.

I know you have your way but I have my way too.

fullmoonremix

Post#24 by fullmoonremix » 31 Jul 2016, 00:19

You are correct. The beauty of the Linux ecosystem Jack... is choice.

However... as much as possible I'm trying to do things the Porteus (brokenman) way.

The Porteus way is...

001 ("CLI"... this includes the NetworkManager backend nm-cli and nm-tui using ncurses and of course... the primary xlib abstraction layer)
002 (toolkits/drivers/deps/languages)
003 ("GUI"... this includes the NetworkManager frontend nm-applet... various applications and the desktop environment)

In any case... that does not mean that is the only way. So it's OK to do your own thing.

Posted by 73.112.18.255 via http://webwarper.net
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 02 Aug 2016, 21:47, edited 11 times in total.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#25 by Jack » 31 Jul 2016, 01:07

At the being I said I'm doing this for fun and to show member I can do it that why I posted it. When brokenman release rc5 I will install it and test it. Then when the final version get release I will do the same.

Brokenman done a great job and some member testing it for him and was the best thing.