Save.dat / changes confusion

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Re: Save.dat / changes confusion

Post#91 by Jack » 15 Aug 2016, 11:59

It is the type of warning when Hard Drive or USB is getting full to the max.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#92 by Bogomips » 15 Aug 2016, 14:35

Jack wrote:There are days or weeks that I never shut my laptop down.
No wonder the changes file is full. If browser still on there are scores or maybe over hundred scripts doing their own thing and downloading all sorts of rubbish. Even when browser is off, still suspect some scripts at work.
Jack wrote:How big of porteussave.dat file can be made? Can I create a 2GB or larger file?
Now this seems to work on aufs, ntfs, ext2 , so should have good chance of working on ext4. As an experiment, can you post the output of commands:

Code: Select all

df  -h  /mnt/sdb2
df  -BM  /mnt/sdb2
sh p10/Por/mksavfile.sh  /mnt/sdb2/Test/savgbg.dat  102400 4096
df  -BM  /mnt/sdb2
df  -h  /mnt/sdb2
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#93 by Jack » 15 Aug 2016, 15:15

Bogomips wrote:
Jack wrote:There are days or weeks that I never shut my laptop down.
No wonder the changes file is full. If browser still on there are scores or maybe over hundred scripts doing their own thing and downloading all sorts of rubbish. Even when browser is off, still suspect some scripts at work.
When I said what I said it was broknman porteussave.dat and it never got full error it just 10min to write the file when poweroff. When I use your script and I started using it Aug 13 when I built the 2 partition but I delete porteussave.dat yesterday and I rebooted 3 or 4 times so that not the porblem and it never ran for over a week this time. I only got the Hard Drive and USB full error after the last boot up. And I didn't do to much but be on the forum and edit slackyd.conf file to add links. It copy something to full up the 256MB porteussave.dat file.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.