[Solved] /mnt/~/porteus/base/003-*.* scripts?

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
fullmoonremix

[Solved] /mnt/~/porteus/base/003-*.* scripts?

Post#1 by fullmoonremix » 23 Jun 2016, 01:27

I'm interested in... rebuilding /mnt/~/porteus/base/003-*.* from scratch.

What are the primary scripts that I need to focus on?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Preface... :(
An Inquiry is any process that has the aim of augmenting knowledge, resolving doubt, or solving a problem.
Posted by 73.112.18.88 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 26 Jun 2016, 11:35, edited 7 times in total.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Distribution: *

Re: /mnt/~/porteus/base/003-*.* scripts?

Post#2 by Evan » 24 Jun 2016, 00:20

<removed>
Last edited by Evan on 24 Jun 2016, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 24 Jun 2016, 01:50

IMHO the best way to do this would be to in a virtual environment. Over the years I have killed a few machines from the amount of rebooting required to build a desktop environment. This will give you a working openbox environment to work from. This design was intentional for exactly this reason. From there you can compile/download the packages you require for the 003-desktop.xzm module.

To get practice you should include the lxde package set (maybe from ponces repo) in your 003-desktop.xzm module and attempt to boot to the desktop. Do this by booting into run level 3 and then issuing: startx 2>/tmp/startx.log

When it fails you can read the log to find which packages you require. Add them and then loop this until you get a desktop running. Next step is to start removing stuff from the module to make it lighter. Porteus is designed perfectly for this task. You can dump modules you need into the modules directory, files you may need into the rootcopy directory and once you are happy merge them with your 003 module.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fullmoonremix

Post#4 by fullmoonremix » 24 Jun 2016, 02:32

@ critics... :x
An Inquiry is any process that has the aim of augmenting knowledge, resolving doubt, or solving a problem.
@ brokenman... the information you provided will assist me in solving the problem to which I am inquiring.
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 25 Jun 2016, 09:17, edited 5 times in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#5 by Ed_P » 24 Jun 2016, 03:50

fmrm, if you post to a public forum you have to expect the public to post responses. The responses may or may not fit the rules you want followed because you are not in a position to set the rules, it is not your forum. You do not own it or pay for the bandwidth it uses.

If you want to have a private conversation with select members of the forum, admins and mods, you should pm or email them, not post in the forum and request no one else respond. Private, one on one conversations. No outsiders involved. AND you will save time and wear and tear on your keyboard posting Prefaces and Disclaimers that nobody pays attention to.

A win-win-win for all parties. :)
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 24 Jun 2016, 05:25

In all the years of this forum I have never seen users acting in such a childish manner. I've seen it on countless other forums and always prided the Porteus community on being a friendly bunch that helps each other without ego or slander. I will do what I can to maintain that. If that means warning or banning users (something I have NEVER had to do) then I will start doing just that. If you don't like something that was posted then simply ignore it. If you post only to fan the flames of a fire then you are helping nobody.

Ed_P and Evan please stop adding fuel to the fire and ONLY post if you are helping answer the original question. Too many threads are turning into personal debates. Fullmoonremix, please stop posting useless disclaimers and excessive outlinks that honestly do nothing to help your cause. Just ignore any retaliation. If both sides have a need to have the last word then conflict never ends.

@ All
Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Fullmoonremix please remove the above disclaimer that is directly aimed at another user. As I've said before, I don't have time to browse the forum and police threads. If I see anyone breaking these rules I will act swiftly and harshly. The current moderators also have my full permission to do the same. They were chosen for a reason. If you fall on the wrong side of them then you are probably on the wrong side.

Stay on topic. Help and respect others. If you have nothing positive/constructive to add then stay out of it. You've been warned.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#7 by wread » 24 Jun 2016, 23:57

@fullmoonremix
1) You do as brokenmann says and you will success.

2) My experience is, you must extract any 003-*.xzm and look under /var/log/packages (slackware) or its equivalent (others) to see what is included in a typical module. Search for startx or similar to get started and add missing files as required. Most important will be to find quickly the missing libraries, etc, files, that the /tmp/start.log ask you for, so you get a desktop running soon. I do a double bookkeeping: I put every file on the live side of Porteus and test it; if it works, I put a copy of it in a "pool" with full path. When you have it ready, you squash the "pool" into your module and you are done! (The pool is normally rootcopy).

3) Some tricks you learn by doing. You will learn how to manage the environment, you will understand concepts like IPC, permissions, and...and... The learning curve is almost flat at start, but it will become steeper and steeper when you know you have mastered the previous step and the next one no longer seems so frightening as it saw before....

...and the virtual box saves much, much time. You can start loosing the fear to use it. :wink: Run all versions of Porteus (download the iso's) in VB to get acquainted with it.

Regards!

P.S. "Porteus is not only an OS, it contains also a personal philosophy"
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

fullmoonremix

Post#8 by fullmoonremix » 25 Jun 2016, 00:44

@ wread... the information you provided will assist me in solving the problem to which I am inquiring.