Module activation - folder doesn't appear in live system

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#16 by Ed_P » 13 Nov 2023, 14:11

Rava wrote:
13 Nov 2023, 07:09
@Ed_P, then you do suggest this:
Rava wrote: ↑November 13th, 2023, 1:04 am
Do you really suggest a user should delete hundreds of .wh. files from the live system when that very system is, well, live?
Since I've never done that I don't know what would happen. Can it be done? :%) Would deleted .wh. files become .wh.wh. files? :%) I only do it to my save.dat files when it's not being used. Have you tried it with one of your live system's /porteus/changes folders? :%) And if you do try it please report your results. If a file has been deleted I don't think deleting it a second time will hang the system.
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#17 by Rava » 14 Nov 2023, 05:36

Ed_P wrote:
13 Nov 2023, 14:11
Have you tried it with one of your live system's /porteus/changes folders? :%) And if you do try it please report your results. If a file has been deleted I don't think deleting it a second time will hang the system.
To quote myself:
Rava wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 22:12
I think I found the culprit:

Code: Select all

guest@rava:~$ find /mnt/live/memory/changes/home -name ".wh.*"
/mnt/live/memory/changes/home/guest/.basilisk-dev/.wh..wh..opq
:D
I indeed fixed my "Module activation - folder doesn't appear in live system" issue by deleting the very /mnt/live/memory/changes/home/guest/.basilisk-dev/.wh..wh..opq file. B)

And here I thought identifying the .wh* file sitting in /mnt/live/memory/changes/home/guest/.basilisk-dev/ being the reason why the subfolders and files in /home/guest/.basilisk-dev/ not being displayed and therefore deleting that very .wh* file was a no-brainer, but seems the "rm /mnt/live/memory/path/to/the/one/bothersome/.wh*" file needed to be spelled out after all.

Added in 12 minutes 16 seconds:
And please take special care to not delete all .wh* files in your life system, only delete a single one when you encounter a similar issue as described in my initial post.

Under usual circumstances, the .wh* files do their job as intended and there usually is never a need to delete any of these from your life system.

Only when there is a condition that you do not get files or folders from a newly activated module you have to search for the responsible singular .wh* file and only delete that one singular .wh* file.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#18 by Ed_P » 14 Nov 2023, 13:11

Where do your .wh. files exist rava? In RAM or on your /porteus drive? And how many do you currently have?
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#19 by Rava » 14 Nov 2023, 15:45

Cheers!
Yours Rava