Help! I somehow deleted Windows files that I need

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#91 by Rava » 19 Oct 2023, 11:02

beny wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 10:01
hi, i know is too late, but we have also ddrescue as software in slackware and ddrecueview is a gui to know how the software work with the rescue, ddrecueview have the slackbuild to make the package.
Could be it is not too late, as long as Ed_P did no changes and no writing onto the corrupt partition.

Also, look at this screenshot:
Bottom left corner: File recovery / Recover lost data - and the program to use is PhotoRec. (PhotoRec stands for Photo Recovery, but as I recall, it restores more that photos, that was what it started as: recovering corrupt SD and other memory cards of cameras)

Like I told Ed_P several times, he should sign up at the https://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2 forum and ask his questions there, the folks there are much better acquainted with testdisk and with photorec than I ever will be.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#92 by Ed_P » 19 Oct 2023, 17:56

Rava wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 11:02
Could be it is not too late, as long as Ed_P did no changes and no writing onto the corrupt partition.
Ed_P wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 22:22
I've restored the drive from a Windows backup on a separate harddrive that I made in January.
I've found that PhoteRec is on the testdisk 2023 module! And I've slapt-mod'ed the ddrescue and ddrescueview apps. Thank you beny. :beer:

Would any of these apps read the "file"s testdisk copied to the Recovery drive?

Added in 2 days 25 minutes 37 seconds:
For anyone with a similar issue coming this way:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk_doc/undelete.html wrote:8.1. TestDisk: undelete file for FAT, exFAT, ext2
8.1.1. Start TestDisk
8.1.2. Log creation
8.1.3. Disk selection
8.1.4. Partition table type selection
8.1.5. Start the undelete process
8.1.6. File undelete
8.1.7. Select where recovered files should be written
8.1.8. File recovery is completed

8.2. TestDisk: undelete file for NTFS
8.2.1. Start TestDisk
8.2.2. Log creation
8.2.3. Disk selection
8.2.4. Partition table type selection
8.2.5. Start the undelete process
8.2.6. NTFS file undelete
8.2.7. Select where recovered files should be written
8.2.8. File recovery is completed
I don't remember seeing the 8.2.6 prompt. But:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk_doc/undelete.html wrote:17.1.3. Partition type selection

If no partition type is specified or asked, TestDisk will detect it automatically.
So to minimize having experiences like this watch TV and never touch a pc/computer/notebook. :punk:
Ed