Reverse audio channels

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Reverse audio channels

Post#1 by Rava » 16 Oct 2022, 17:48

Is there a way to reverse the audio channels with the standard Port 5.0 XFCE setup?

Due to how my active speakers are wired, the left-channel speaker sits on the right and the right channel speaker an the left. (They could not be placed any other way due to how the cable layout is.)
At least in its normal settings via the task bar icon / PulseAudio Volume Control I see no option in accomplishing that but I hope it is possible when editing a setup file?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Testuser
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus-v5.0-64-LXDE

Reverse audio channels

Post#2 by Testuser » 22 Oct 2022, 17:39

Hi Rava,

I have once tried Alsa Volume control panel.

It had couple of options, but not sure reverse audio channel is available in it or not. :%) :no:

Need to check the same in other distro.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Reverse audio channels

Post#3 by Rava » 23 Oct 2022, 08:36

The F3 aka "Show playback controls" is quite minimal in alsamixer:

Code: Select all

┌───────────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.2.5.1 ─────────────────────────────┐
│ Card: PulseAudio                                     F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: PulseAudio                                     F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All             F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: Master                                         Esc: Exit               │
│                                                                              │
│                                     ┌──┐                                     │
│                                     │  │                                     │
│                                     │  │                                     │
│                                     │▒ │                                     │
│                                     │▒▒│                                     │
│                                     │▒▒│                                     │
│                                     ├──┤                                     │
│                                     │OO│                                     │
│                                     └──┘                                     │
│                                    54<>43                                    │
│                                  < Master >                                  │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
:(

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
At least it does show that my main volume is set differently for the right and left channel, but I see no option anywhere for reversing channels. :cry:

Added in 5 minutes 5 seconds:
I presume it is either
● not possible or
● one of those moments where you need to manually hack a certain settings file and either tweak a setting or insert a new setting with the specifics you want/need.

And if it's the 2nd then you cannot know what to do by yourself, you have to find it somewhere online or maybe halfway hidden in some readmes or howtos. :hammer:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Testuser
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus-v5.0-64-LXDE

Reverse audio channels

Post#4 by Testuser » 23 Oct 2022, 11:33

Hi Rava,

Can you move to bottom and select "Master", then press right or left key in keyboard, it shows the channel (not sure though). :%)

This is what I remeber when I used Alsa mixer. Not sure.

Please go through this link as well, which I found mentioning some steps

https://superuser.com/questions/59481/h ... -in-ubuntu

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Reverse audio channels

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 23 Oct 2022, 11:57

try: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf :
change line:

; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
to

default-channel-map = front-right,front-left
maybe.. uncomment (;) the 'default-sample-channels = 2' line too
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Reverse audio channels

Post#6 by donald » 23 Oct 2022, 14:41

This work for me with my card (onboard sound)

Create ~/.config/pulse/default.pa with following content:

.include /etc/pulse/default.pa
load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=reverse-stereo master=0 channels=2 master_channel_map=right,left channel_map=left,right
set-default-sink reverse-stereo
delete all the other files in ~/.config/pulse/
open the task-manager > kill pulseaudio, it will/should respawn and use the new settings.

open the audio mixer and select what you need.
If it does not work for you, it might bring you on the right track. :)

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Reverse audio channels

Post#7 by Rava » 23 Oct 2022, 16:45

^
Thanks donald, done exactly that, now i also have everywhere the "Remapped Build-in Audio Analog Stereo" and when doing the left/right sliders after I unjoined the sound (e.g. in a ffplay stream) it seems to correspond to the correct channel.

Added in 2 hours 10 minutes 17 seconds:

yt-dlp -f 251 M05w0gIDQVM
and then

ffplay  -autoexit -hide_banner -showmode waves -x 500 -y 150 -i  Left-Right\ Channel\ Audio\ Test\ \[M05w0gIDQVM\].webm
is a better idea than my previously mentioned (and now erased) Led Zeppelin one. "Only the left channel…" :)

And yes, donald's solution with the ~/.config/pulse/default.pa works as it should, thanks to donald and "M05w0gIDQVM"
Cheers!
Yours Rava