Virtualbox and Windows 7

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 xfce

Re: Virtualbox and Windows 7

Post#61 by fred08155 » 13 Jan 2017, 00:36

New module made with vbox builder works OK - but only as root. As guest i get a cryptic error message. Something with "effective UUID not root" and a lot of cryptic text.
I also made a guest addon module. But this somehow does not get activated during bootup. At least i can activate it manually after boot. But still can not start virtualbox as guest.
I found extension pack on virtualbox homepage. I need to convert it to a module somehow if possible (as changes module).

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#62 by francois » 14 Jan 2017, 13:18

I never used the extension pack. However, here are the instructions (no module transformation needed):
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08. ... ge-extpack
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01. ... installing
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#63 by fred08155 » 14 Jan 2017, 13:40

I know how to install the extension pack.
But i don´t want to install the extension pack every time i boot from the stick (i don´t use changes cheatcode). So i need to convert the changes from installing the extension pack into a module.

What about virtualbox not working without root privileges?
Is there a solution for this?
Virtualbox made with vbox builder works as root only. :(

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#64 by Bogomips » 14 Jan 2017, 14:07

fred08155 wrote:So i need to convert the changes from installing the extension pack into a module.
In terminal, as root: changes-time This should give folder from which can be made module of changes over last 3 min (default). Make shorter or longer depending on time taken to install extension pack.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#65 by francois » 14 Jan 2017, 14:20

Maybe start porteus, install your pack, then:
panel menu > system > porteus setting center > porteus save session

or better changes-time script (see explanation post by brokenman):
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3292

You can decide to transform the modifications into a module with dir2xzm.

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#66 by fred08155 » 15 Jan 2017, 01:11

Virtualbox is very strange. Module made with vbox builder already contains extension pack files. But there is no configuration present telling virtualbox that the extension pack is installed.
Also guest account gets broken if configuration files for extension pack are present. :shock:
I get error message about missing kernel modules if i run virtualbox from terminal. I thought this is what vbox builder does???
How can i include this to automatically install kernel modules?

So seems very very complicated to get virtualbox running. Also still can´t start virtualbox as guest.

I also maybe found a bug somewhere. Cannot start chromium as root (porteus 3.2.2 xfce).
Throwing several error messages when starting from terminal ending with "aborting". I also get a few error messages when started as guest from terminal but at least it starts. :(

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#67 by francois » 15 Jan 2017, 01:54

chromium will not start as root. To circumvent in root environment:

Code: Select all

su -c chromium guest

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#68 by fred08155 » 15 Jan 2017, 09:01

OK. So it´s normal behaviour of chrome (?). Never noticed this before.

Any suggestions on virtualbox?
If this is the only solution... how can i put a command somewhere that gets executed automatically on bootup (installing kernel modules) plus automatic boot and login into root account? I don´t like the idea but at the moment i don´t see another solution.

I can use older version of virtualbox as guest... but as soon as i place the configuration files for extension pack in guest account (under /home/guest/.config) it throws a lot of white text lines on bootup (some screens full - very fast so unable to read) - then screen turns black for some seconds and then the login screen appears. If i login as guest the same thing happens again.
That´s what i mean with guest account gets broken.

Did virtualbox work OK in older versions of porteus?

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#69 by beny » 15 Jan 2017, 15:27

fred08155 /opt/VirtualBox/additions/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso if you need the usb support under virtualbox have you? if yes you have the guestaddition working,in my xfce4 edition virtualbox work with the guest user, if you build it from the guest account you need the root password to start the build but you can use it from guest account in /etc group file, have you this: vboxsf:x:999: vboxusers:x:998: there are a lot of software that not start with root id vlc and chrome, database environment....

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#70 by fred08155 » 15 Jan 2017, 16:35

What exactly do i have to do to make virtualbox work in guest account?

I used vbox builder in guest account with root pw to get the newest version of virtualbox and virtualbox guest addon.
However as i already mentioned the guest addon module somehow does not get activated during bootup. At least i can activate it after boot manually. If it was already activated there should come a message up telling me it is already activated...
But after activation of the guest addon module i still can´t start virtualbox as guest.
Do i have to modify some files? Which one exactly?

What´s with all the text messages during boot after virtualbox installs its services?

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#71 by beny » 15 Jan 2017, 17:06

hi, now i am on arch so i can't see porteus build, but you start with init4 or in txt mode,the init4 have the guest account as default so you do not have problems with it, you have the devel module but also the crippled-source i think is better to have in,the changes directory active, remove the virtualbox module deactivate it and put in a place like trashcan only for safe, rebuild vbox with the builder, after put the file into the module directory and activate,the builder create the vbox user,and permission,in porteus i think you can call the root user with su in console only,and it is strange that you have the root account operative for the usual task.my system is porteus 3.2.2 xfce4 have you modified the porteus.cfg or use a fat32 filesystem?

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#72 by beny » 15 Jan 2017, 17:31

after kaffeine satellite scan reboot in porteus and rebuild virtualbox in a clean environment with the porteus tool.

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#73 by fred08155 » 15 Jan 2017, 17:43

I have devel module and crippled sources module. Vbox builder does not work without them.

I also downloaded python (2.7) after i saw vbox builder was searching for it the first time i tried vbox builder. Don´t know if you really need it but after installed vbox builder used it ("found python, installing bindings" etc.)
I removed old virtualbox module before it tried vbox builder. Since using copy2ram i deactivated old module and deleted it completely from /mnt/live/copy2ram. Later i removed module and put old modules in a separate folder. Same result.

I don´t use changes cheatcode. I save all changes to modules.
Yes i use FAT32 on that stick since i don´t want to use changes cheatcode. So no need to use ext filesystem.

I don´t want to use root but virtualbox does not work in guest account. At least not with extension pack for USB 2.0 support.

Old version of virtualbox 5.1.10 you can download from porteus server works in guest account. But as soon as extension pack gets added user account ist broken.
New version from vbox builder (5.1.12) did not work as guest out of the box.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#74 by beny » 15 Jan 2017, 17:52

i don't think is a good idea to save changes in module, but if you have fat32 filesystem you have to do so or make a save container for changes, you can show me the boot line that you use usually please, python search lag a bit but after a while build start again.

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#75 by fred08155 » 15 Jan 2017, 18:10

I use standard copy2ram boot. Third line from top in the boot menu.
I can upload my modules if you want to check them out. :)

Since i didn´t save any changes to the system it should be still clean.

I also revised all changes modules and deleted files that are not needed (tmp folder, mnt folder etc).
I have one changes module for keyboard layout and language setup plus german localization. Then i made a changes module for virtualbox extension pack containing only one folder under /home/guest/.config. This one breaks guest account if used. Same module for root account /root/.config works fine.

All modules that i use at the moment are:
05 devel (from porteus server)
crippled-sources (from porteus server)
python 2.7 (downloaded through USM)
changes for german language
downloaded localization files (from porteus settings centre)
changes for virtualbox extension pack (for root account only)
virtualbox 5.1.12 (made with vbox builder)
vbox guest addon module (made with vbox builder)