Nemesis unable to install a web browser

Arch based Porteus community project

Moderator: M. Eerie

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Nemesis unable to install a web browser

Post#1 by francois » 04 Jun 2016, 22:36

I used to be able to run opera and firefox. Both these web browser will not work under nemesis.

I am trying:

Code: Select all

pman -Syu
hoping it will resolve the problem.

However, updating aborts due to:

error: Key "8DB9F8C18DF53602" ...
Errors occured, no packages were upgrade.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Nemesis unable to install a web browser

Post#2 by Ed_P » 05 Jun 2016, 00:36

When I was trying Nemesis I believe I copied the firefox module from my 3.0 system to the Nemesis module folder.
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by francois » 05 Jun 2016, 11:46

Do you mean that you used firefox from 3.0 slackware to work on archlinux?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 05 Jun 2016, 13:29

No, a firefox .xzm module that I was using with Porteus 3.0.1. Least that's what I think I used. It wasn't the one that came in the 3.0.1 iso, it was an update to it.

Sorry to be so vague, it was a while ago. :(
Ed

Evan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Distribution: *

Post#5 by Evan » 05 Jun 2016, 13:37

<removed>
Last edited by Evan on 24 Jun 2016, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Distribution: *

Post#6 by Evan » 05 Jun 2016, 22:41

<removed>
Last edited by Evan on 24 Jun 2016, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Manjaro-OpenRC/Nemesis

Post#7 by istinnjazz » 05 Jun 2016, 23:09

opera-38.0.2213.0-x86_64-1.xzm

this works out of the box
http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/testing/rc2/modules/

I have also installed flash plugin through AUR, and it also works in opera

security keys: a package named manjaro-keyring-20160527-1 should be installed before any update, the name is obviously changing frequently [this is a rolling package it might be asked to install again after some time].
There has been also a mirror testing procedure and it successfully located the faster one (but you can always change the mirror list manually).

I do not know if pman -Syu can do this, (you could try pacman -Suy) but the graphical update manager did it, it presented keys as a single update package before revealing the list of updates. Then you can cancel the update but keys will be installed. Be careful because sometimes keys are getting conflicted between different manager (console+gui) uses:

http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 240#p45850

After this, to use AUR you have to update certificates:

trust extract-compat
after updating to pacman 5, you can install "yaourt" or other helpers, gui package manager handles AUR pretty well

After this you can install plenty of browsers from main repository or AUR

you are not forced to update everything, I suggest to update at least pacman (and its dependencies) to version 5

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by francois » 08 Jun 2016, 21:18

@ed:
When I wrote slackware, I meant porteus-slackware in opposition to arch linux, arch linux or manjaro-nemesis module. Thanks.

@istinnjazz:
Thanks for confirming ed's proposal. And thanks for the information on the keyring. I am completely illiterate in terms of keyring issues. I will try that your propositions this weekend.

Information about keyring:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacm ... about_Keys
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-mat ... ate/1112/2

sudo dirmngr </dev/null
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys
sudo pacman -Sy {archlinux,manjaro}-keyring

jamie81
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.2rc

Post#9 by jamie81 » 04 Jul 2016, 14:47

Ive tried everything listed in this thread and others in the Nemesis forums, but I just cant get a browser up and going. Always the same error messages. I would love to get it worked out as Arch and the AUR are so full of packages. I wanted to use KDE5 so thats the version of Nemesis(yes, latest version on server) I used. If I remember correctly I believe I seen mentioned that PAMAC was installed, but that cant be true for the KDE version as I couldnt find it anywhere. I tried all the manjaro keyring stuff and following directions here and other threads multiple times and I always get an error when trying to get a browser going. I cant recall the message unfortunately at the moment as Im not loaded into it(no browser.lol)

I went and hacked around with the Porteus Slackware KDE5 release and got it looking and running just how I liked. I for the life of me cant get video thumbnails for Dolphin and I need those bad. I tried compiling the latest ffmpegthumbs and ended up borking the system in the process. That reason and so much other software is why I love Arch and the AUR. There is just so much more to choose from and compiling from the AUR is alot less problematic for me. Im not a complete novice with Linux, but Slack always has me banging my head against the wall.lol If I get into trouble with Arch Ive always been able to fix it myself using google and Arch forums. I really hope work on Nemesis continues as I love this idea and I check in here every day looking for something new. Ive always wanted an Arch based system with the AUR and done in the Porteus way(copy to ram, modules, rootcopy, live usb persistence).

Sorry for the long winded post.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#10 by istinnjazz » 04 Jul 2016, 19:08

Do not use Nemesis KDE, try LXDE instead, and if you get it right, you could even add KDE from the repositories later as xzm or at savefile level.
I guess KDE version could make things more complicated for you.
But anyway, nobody can help you if you do not provide some specific info, error messages etc.

jamie81
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.2rc

Post#11 by jamie81 » 04 Jul 2016, 19:59

istinnjazz wrote:Do not use Nemesis KDE, try LXDE instead, and if you get it right, you could even add KDE from the repositories later as xzm or at savefile level.
I guess KDE version could make things more complicated for you.
But anyway, nobody can help you if you do not provide some specific info, error messages etc.
Yeah, I was planning on trying LXDE today. Im using it currently. I still could not get firefox to install. I was however able to get opera up and running just fine with no problems.

I did notice however that when I try to "pman -S opera" it just installs and never makes a module at all. Strange. Is it perhaps because the first time I installed opera I used PAMAC? I realized Id rather have it as a module and so I uninstalled with PAMAC, and then tried pman command. Possibly this is why?

Sorry about the lack of info on my previous post. I do notice that LXDE seems a bit more ready for primetime. I have just a few questions on that.

1: How do I go about accessing the AUR?

2: I didnt notice a way to create a .dat container for saving, Im assuming I need to do that with the terminal? I believe I seen a command for it the past day or two when browsing around on here. Ill go looking, but thought Id ask since I was replying to your post already.

3: As far as installing KDE, I see the Arch wiki has multiple choices I can make to get it installed. "plasma-meta", or the "plasma" group. Also "plasma-desktop" for a more minimal installation. The question is, which choice should I go with? Im going to do a bit of experimenting with it anyhow before I create a savefile.

Thanks for the time and help :D

edit: Trying two different KDE packages that the Arch Wiki recommends for install, using the "pman" command, gives me this message

"looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: poppler-glib: requires poppler=0.39.0"

I checked and poppler is installed and that exact version. Hmm, odd. Sorry, I just realized Ive begun to hijack this thread.....

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#12 by istinnjazz » 04 Jul 2016, 20:47

It is difficult to answer to all of your questions, you have to study porteus basic documentation.
I will give you some quick guidance and then you have to search by yourself

pman -S opera
if you think you have bypassed keyring issues correctly and pacman works as it should, pman creates xmz files at /tmp directory, move them accordingly to module directories.

With pamac you have to use a save.dat or a native partition, refer to basic porteus documentation @ porteus main site on the relative howto create save file containers guide.

search for linux dd command and format in a compiled as kernel part (not as a module) supported file system (e.g. ext4).
example for 200MB and 4MB blocks

dd if=/dev/zero of=save.dat bs=4M count=50
mkfs.ext4 save.dat
About accessing the AUR, you have to use a helper like yaourt or pamac (aur supported through yaourt)
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=5971
check out AUR certificates

I do not know anything about KDE, you have to search arch relative documentation as well.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by francois » 04 Jul 2016, 21:15

I have tried Ed's suggestion with the same result. I will try to do better with vbox.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#14 by istinnjazz » 04 Jul 2016, 21:36

It is not the browser thing, it is about making pacman work, then all packages will be available. Arch without pacman is a dead end.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#15 by francois » 05 Jul 2016, 04:17

I understood the difference between the package manager and the web browser. A functional web browser within nemesis which does not have functional guest additions would facilitate the communication of any output or error message on the status of pacman.

Sorry for appearing sparsly. I have other important pots on the burner. Usually, I am a very active, though not very technically sound forum member. Presently, I work during the day and in the evening I am on the renovation of an appartment. These renovations extend to the weekend. I should be out of it within a week or two. :D

I would like to take the opportunity of your passage on our forum.