Nemesis unable to install a web browser

Arch based Porteus community project

Moderator: M. Eerie

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Nemesis unable to install a web browser

Post#16 by francois » 07 Jul 2016, 05:49

OK. Leaving the vbox environment. Two solutions: first there is the lynx text web browser (not very good yet as I am unable to reach the porteus forum), but second I can manage to get in and out of nemesis leaving some files within the changes folder.

Maybe a problem of mine is that I try to work pamac from a root environment. There is some error message. Is there a way I could provide an insightful and valuable output.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Manjaro-OpenRC/Nemesis

Post#17 by istinnjazz » 07 Jul 2016, 09:09

francois wrote:OK. Leaving the vbox environment. Two solutions: first there is the lynx text web browser (not very good yet as I am unable to reach the porteus forum), but second I can manage to get in and out of nemesis leaving some files within the changes folder.

Maybe a problem of mine is that I try to work pamac from a root environment. There is some error message. Is there a way I could provide an insightful and valuable output.
I do not think I can follow your statements. Why do you refer to lynx? Do you have problems with x graphics so you are forced to be in text mode? If not, what about the opera xzm that have been found to work?
Make sure pacman works, pacman needs root.
Use a clean system and follow viewtopic.php?f=137&t=5066
then try to resolve keyring issues. If you have created anything experimenting to your system delete all save file contents and created modules files.

pamac-manager runs as guest and root, created to be used mostly as a guest tool.

pamac readme

Code: Select all

A DBus daemon and Gtk3 frontend for libalpm written in Vala

Features:
- Alpm bindings for Vala
- a DBus daemon to perform every tasks with root access using polkit to check authorizations
- a Gtk3 Package Manager
- a Gtk3 Updates Manager
- a Tray icon with configurable periodic refresh and updates notifications
- a complete AUR support:
	* multiple words search capability
	* Enable/Disable check updates from AUR
	* Build and update your AUR packages in a integrated terminal using yaourt

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#18 by francois » 09 Jul 2016, 04:00

I was refering to lynx as this is the only web browser I can get running. Maybe it is not usable. It is the first time I try the thing.

Maybe the best thing would be that you provide pman compiled changes and necessary modules for the basic lxde nemesis on mediafire. If you may. :D

On a new thread, naturally. 8)

I will try to sort it out more slowly on my side, but at least I will have a functional nemesis. :twisted:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Manjaro-OpenRC/Nemesis

Post#19 by istinnjazz » 09 Jul 2016, 12:42

I think the browser issue is solved. Opera xzm works out of the box in nemesis.
francois wrote:Maybe the best thing would be that you provide pman compiled changes and necessary modules
this is not so obvious as it sounds. there could be and there is in my case mixed xzm and savefile container files. If I had to do it, I would plan to do it from the very beginning on a clean system, or I have to search for the first savefile backup and send it also. It is a bit of a last resort hack I do not really like as a general solution. I would like a guide that works for everyone.

So I have decided to boot again from a new totally clean system to see again, what is going to happen so everyone can do it and maybe developers isolate issues for their fixes.

So here is the solution (posted from the same clean system from opera):

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=5971

a new rewritten guide over the old one, with a fresh, validated test with full console messages. Hopefully this is the solution for you and everyone else.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#20 by Jack » 23 Aug 2016, 16:50

I'm running Firefox right now in Nemesis LXDE. I'm typing this message right now.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.