Update method of choice: Porteus vs Arch way?

Arch based Porteus community project

Moderator: M. Eerie

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Update method of choice: Porteus vs Arch way?

Post#31 by francois » 03 Feb 2016, 02:39

With pman slimmer. With pacman higher environmental print. Save changes folder is some kind of garbage bin for other changes not in the form of modules, depending on your understanding of this data of package pot it will have a big print. Porteus minimalist edition will be something like the actual lxde edition with a few more packages, but still around let's say 400 Mb.

This is what you could expect as the monthly upgrade, unless brokenman is wise enough to also upgrade the additional packages that you will have added to your installation. And from what i read about it above, he seems to have figured out how he will do it.

Conclusion, you better work with packages in the form of modules under porteus. But you still have the choice.

The ideas that you have brought based on your knowledge of arch are interesting. However, it seems to me that you do not completely catch what is this little beast called porteus. If I am wrong just tell me. :)

Edit:
@datruche:
I have reread all the thread. You are right. I am kind of out of topic, which was mentioned in your first few posts. Sorry if I sounded not constructive. :wink:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

aus9

Post#32 by aus9 » 03 Feb 2016, 10:01

Hi

I have different views and different experiences due to having spent some time on a Debian unstable which is a rolling release with no module support. At a point in time the OP mixed up an older kernel with newer modules. At a point in time the OP wanted (my inference) to use the /usr/local/sbin script created by brokenman called update-porteus
## Script to update porteus kernel and/or modules with the latest
But because we are in heavy development and swapped just recently from Arch base to Manjaro base.....things needed to be a full clean install. Those matters are now resolved AFAIK

I believe the poster has concerns with what will happen to his modules if he adopts modules either un-merged or merged. What is unclear to me, does the subject of "update" mean update between releases or intra release?

A rolling release type base is not suited to a stable type module system.....IMHO. I have said it before so let me repeat it.....and these my opinions and I can be wrong.

day one you install a module and merge its dependencies for software called X
day twenty you install new package merged its dependencies to give you Y
on day twentyone on reboot or startup you try to use Y.

but Y was loaded first so it gave you.....example only filename-version2.so
then X loads and overwrites to give you filename-version1.so
but Y needed the newer version...does not find it, so Y borks.

If you understood all that techno stuff.....the inference one might draw is to ensure you do not merge modules and check your modules to see if a duplicate appears and then update X to reduce this dependency issue. With a small number of packages newbies should be OK but I am not sure this is going to end well if members have hundreds of extra modules.

I am aware this type of discussion is better suited to the thread about the future of Porteus but I am actually leaning towards OP on this one.

Now going full jacket....there is nothing stopping a member from electing to not use any modules but brokenman is within his rights as are all other mods in not offering support to such members.....that is....people who elect not to use pman but elect to use the front end package manager which is a front end to pacman

I hope that kind of clears up more issues than it raises?

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#33 by francois » 02 Mar 2016, 19:04

@datruche:
Sorry if I post here, but I do not find the thread in which I wanted to post that information. Unless this is it. :wink:

What is you solution to the nemesis rolling distribution problem, now that you are familiar with porteus?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.